1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sites with Fantasy / Sci-Fi Pictures Needed

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Foradasthar, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Finding these with google is rather tedious, and believe me I've tried. While some pages have come out great, most of the time I just find little private sites with a few good pictures in it, after wasting a whole lot of time on it.

So. Hear me o' mighty sorcerers of this fine realm, for I beseech ye! Please, just spam some urls with pictures on fantasy characters. I need them for practice. Males / Females of all imaginable D&D classes (humans and elven). In addition, I need sci-fi pictures as well of the same type, namely nice looking mechanical outfits, vehicles, ships and cyberware. Weapons would be good too. The form of art I'm looking for are paintings and comic drawings (scetch or manga as that's my style). I'm not looking for low-level fan art, but professional work.

Thanks in advance.

2. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
  3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

That was a good one, exactly what I was looking for as fantasy, thanks! :)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't have any links to good sci-fi or weapon pictures (except for Elfwood, which is probably popular enough for you to know). However, I must recommend this artist: Tony DiTerlizzi.

This guy's work is, in my opinion, great. In fact, I force most of my D&D players to use this guy's portraits as their "miniatures". His work is cartoonish and even a bit light-hearted. Serious and gloomy is probably the furthest thing from this guy's work - and that's what I love about it. You can never take fantasy too seriously.

http://www.diterlizzi.com/

6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sorry, I posted a link of a popular fantasy artist, but when I looked at his gallery, there were some nudity so I decided to take of link. The artist is Luis Royo, search at your own discretion.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Hehe. Yes well I guess Royo is known to everyone. His paintings are found in Baldur's Gate portrait pages as well. Sadly I'm more interested in armor and clothing than just nude women so... :)

Thanks again for the links people, some of the links don't work but those that do... great stuff!

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What about getting real photos of armour or clothing, even replicas, and then making it look like a drawing? You can also use the clone brush tool to take the "matter" of an armour from a ready picture and use it to change a suit into a suit of chainmail. If you manage to catch some clothing area in a mask, you can apply filters on it, making it look like steel, or mithral, or whatever you want.

Sadly, all those tiny accessories and ornate details won't work this way. If they're small, you can always make them pixel by pixel and later use some kind of blur to make the edges smooth. I typically use gauss for edges alone and motion blur for whole areas.

Surface tools, bump maps and the like should help you in making it look like metal, leather or a specific fabric.

There's a program called Poser, which is great for rendering human silhouttes. They're entirely customisable and even have some functions to block you from forcing them into physically impossible positions. There's a great deal of various skins, bump maps, textures and custom components included in the program and you could probably find some fan-made ones on the net. I've seen chainmails, elven ears, mediaeval weaponry and the like.

9. nior Gems: 24/31

Armours and clothing, fantasy and sci-fi. Here's a couple of links.
    Macross
    Anime

That's over a hundred picts, from animes, and PC/Console games. I'm sure you'll find a couple suitable to your needs. :D

10. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

www.digitalart.org has some under their fantasy section, plus alot of other things to look at

11. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

Check out art by Brom It's very dark and mysterious, maybe you like it... Not much armor though...

12. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@Uytuun: that link was brilliant.
    Thanks for sharing that :thumb:
    /me is too lazy to check out all the links and leads - but that one IS good...
    :borg:

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Ok. Thanks for the help everyone. I will be offline now for several weeks. Not just from SP but net in general. Because of that I really need that stuff so I have something to do during this big pause.

Thanks again, great stuff indeed! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.