1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Silvery's dumb questions about America

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Silvery, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    T2, you forgot about the Mountain West....IIRC, it's Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Silvery,

.... and then you get all the smaller areas of the country that seem to need a name of their own.

3. 1Lzard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    Not to mention 'the FAR Left coast', Oregon, Washington, the big Cal, and those parts of Idaho that haven't already succeded from the Union...

:rolleyes:

Just so 'blue' that even Obama has to wonder how it's gonna be, LOL!

:cool:

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hmm.....So geography is linked to the mind-set of the individual....

You guys are clearly all just crazy! :lol:

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    America was founded by displaced English, so that explains a lot of how we got to be that crazy ;) :

The Four migrations of Englishmen to America explains how we became so different regionally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion's_Seed

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Very true Chandos, in fact, we're even worse over here!

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, Silvery, :). It is a political thing. New England is clearly defined. The Border States are also defined. The Mid Atlantic States, I think, are fairly well defined. When Slavery was made illegal in the northern states the US of A was small and the Mason-Dixon line basically divided the original 13 States. It was then stretched a bit but some states stayed with the North. IE: Kentucky did but Tennessee didn't. That is also one reason why the Civil war is sometimes referred to as the war between brothers. My great Grandfather fought on the Northern side and his brother fought on the Southern side, or so I have been told.

Don't seat it, Silvery, the whole thing is rather obsolete now and I have a feeling that those Reb flags are more for tourist value. I could be wrong there I'll let a Deep South person answer that one.

8. Silvery

Media:
    You guys are great, I've always wanted to know more about the USA but kinda felt a bit stupid asking!
    To be honest, most (if not all) of the people I know think that Americans are a bunch of burger eating hicks who are unaware of the world outside of America :(

Although, there was one American who thought that London WAS England and the rest of the country was Europe...

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Every country has morons like that....they need to have their passports revoked so they can't spread their ignorance around the world. :p

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It isn't?!?! So, which is not a part of Europe: London or England? Or are they a part of Canada? :p

I'm afraid geography is not a strength of most Americans. I believe high schools here have the lowest scores on world geography tests of any industrialized nation.

Edit: I guess this is not very profound for my 5,000th post.... I sure waste a lot of time here.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Yeah, there are some dunderheads in America. My high school was excellent though, we had a great history/social studies teacher and we had geography quizzes where we had to identify every nation and capital of the area we were studying at the time...

12. 1Lzard Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Milady, no question is so stupid that it doesn't deserve an answer! There are no stupid questions, only stupid people that think they know all the answers, eh?

------------

I'd say that all too many Americans fit this catagory quite nicely...sad, isn't it.......? Your friends are (in the general) more right than should be!

A commentary that needs reviewed, I'm sure......:D

L`zard

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Hey, now! Mercy, mercy, Silvery. Don't ya know that we send you guys all our worst burgers? "Love" that Micky-D's? We save the best burgers for here. Think of it like beer - You send us all your crumy stuff and keep all the good stuff for yourselves. ;)

I like my burger grilled, on an open fire, peppered with McCormick Season All, laced with Cattlemen's BBQ sauce, lots of fresh onions, (gotta be fresh and raw), a slab of melted cheddar cheese, a touch of ketchup, lettuce, a slice of tomato and a dab of mayo (Miracle Whip, really - Hellman's is for grandmas) spread on a sesame seed bun (nicely toasted). Japs go on the side, with the fries. THAT'S a burger, Silvery. Makes me happy just thinkin' bout it. :hmm: No wussy "fish n' chips" here. :grin:

14. Kitrax

Media:
    Speaking of burgers, from what I've heard, English "Cuisine" isn't exactly something someone would want to write home about...unless they're going on about how nasty it is. :p

I rarely eat burgers. If I'm eating at a fast food place, I go for an Arby's roast beef sandwich, or a burrito at Del Taco. If I do eat a burger, it's made at home on a gas grill.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yeah, unless it's to the FDA. :)

Exactly! I think Fudds has the best burgers in the FF realm though...but home cooked on a gas grill is the way to go.

16. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    You are right in that when people refer to "the South" they are typically referring to the southeastern states.
    Florida was not as economically dependent on slavery as the cotton states, but with Georgia and Alabama easily able to cut off all land transport to the state, it really had no choice about its involvement in the Civil War. "What if?"s tend to be unproductive, however. It is a part of history that should not be forgotten, lest it get repeated.

17. 1Lzard Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Can't talk about 'in-country' English eats...but I'll speak to the idea of getting far, far away from an "English Breakfast" as espoused by some of the 'expat' English places....

(example: Corfu, Greece:/Menu: OMG!!, beans? Fried Tomatoes? Did I mention 'lots of beans'? Bacon and Sausages...and Beans! Thank God for Ouzo!)

Much prefered Greek food while there, eh?

:D:D:D

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 20 seconds later... ----------

On hope that 'Jeb' has this take as well...:rolleyes:

18. martaug Gems: 23/31

Thats it Chandos, you have to officially turn in your southerner card.:o
    You should know that there is only one mayo & that is Dukes:)

Besides, miracle whip is a "salad Dressing" not mayo:D

Agree that the best burgers are grilled at home, especially big thick deer burgers(bambi goes good with BBQ sauce)

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Mayonnaise is gross. Same with Ketchup. Only barbecue sauce or mustard for me.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the problem is the American tourists in England. Only the most ignorant, obese, overly-friendly, insulting-without-meaning-to-be Americans seem to come to England. Walking around in stupid shorts, glasses hung around their neck talking about how 'quaint' everything is, taking pictures of anything and everything. I've had no end of American tourists just randomly start talking to me out of nowhere. I think America is just a bit more 'in your face' than England, we like our personal space over here a bit more! In England you generally don't talk to someone you don't know unless invited to in some way.

I've been to America though and loved the place. I'd go again if I had the money and if I was to move to another country permanently, it'd be America. The people are friendly and nice. I liked it. The food is crap though (coming from an Englishman that's a bit rich, I know!), and it's impossible to get a good cup of tea! If I lived there I'd have to get emergency packages of Yorkshire Tea sent from home! :D

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 23 seconds later... ----------

Mayonnaise is lovely, especially on chips with some cheese. Yum. It's really fattening though! I don't like mustard, it makes me nose itch. I like HP sauce and reggae reggae :-).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.