1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Silvery's dumb questions about America

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Silvery, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fair enough. I was just wanting to know why people said it

2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Chandos, buddy, calm done. The big smiley was supposed to signify that the aforementioned comment was meant in a tongue-in-cheek manner.
    Each section of the country has good & bad points that appeal to different people . . . . well, differently.
    Texas is a great state but it's not for everybody. All that big wide open spaces(outside of the big cities) kind of freaks some people out.
    Just like certain parts of the northeastern & west coast seem to be one continious city for miles(dangit weres the country!!)

And many parts of the south just feel too much like a sauna for some people

Chandos the Red likes this.
  3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, Martaug, while I know you meant no offense, nevertheless, there are people here in Texas, and other parts of the South, who are serious about that sort of rhetoric. Houston is a very cosmopolitan city; there people here from all over the world, and it is very crowded. But there are still areas outside of the city filled with hate for outsiders of all sorts (like Jasper or Vidor), both of which are not really that far from Houston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidor,_Texas

NC is OK. I visit there sometimes since I have family in Charlotte. It reminds me of Houston on a smaller scale. Yet, I hated living in Georgia, even though Atlanta is a large city, and in many ways it was still sort of backwards when I was there (but that's been a while back).

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The grudges between the North and the South are far worse than those between the U.S. and the U.K.

I mean, if I went around to certain places in the South shouting "William Tecumseh Sherman is my homeboy!" I would get killed. Not so true of shouting British names up in Boston.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    But in the larger cities in the South that stuff is dying out. As I commented, the South is becoming more cosmopolitan in the urban areas. There are so many people from other places that the old riviarly between the North and South hardly matters. But once you get outside of the populated areas, it's almost like going back in time to the Civil War.

Plus, I guess guys from the North are "stealing all those Southern women." Funny thing about that (maybe it proves they prefer REAL men). :)

Well, if the Southern women weren't so willing.... :grin:

6. martaug Gems: 23/31

Naw, they go for the ones that act like they are from the north(you know, loud & pushy):p

Yeah, chandos you have those kinds all over, however(i have to act as Devils advocate here) If people want to live around a bunch of people just like themselves i don't really see a problem with it.

I personally, don't particularly like large cities. I have always felt that a large town(15k-25k) or small city(50k-75k) is just a nicer place to live(& typically has lower taxes)

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    They have hurricanes??? :p

8. martaug Gems: 23/31

It's a choice between hurricanes on the coast & tornadoes in the middle of the country.:eek:
    You gotta get to that portion that is just far enough from the ocean & not so near the middle. :thumb:

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Go to Washington (state).

10. martaug Gems: 23/31

Actually the whole 5 state corner(Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana & Wyoming) looks pretty nice.
    Well, except for the Seattle area.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It's supposed to be pretty nice from what I have heard. What don't you like about it, Martaug?

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    New England doesn't get hurricanes. They get blizzards. Blizzards are so much more fun, by the way. :D

13. martaug Gems: 23/31

It's a really big metro area(2.3 million) & the city is about 594K.
    I just prefer smaller towns(guess i'm just a country boy:))
    I'm sure if you like big cities it is really nice.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It's downright depressing in Seattle winters... Rain all the time. I live on the east side which really isn't too much better, since the snow can be a real inconvenience.

Despite those factors, the state still rules :p

15. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Where I live, the "damn Yankee" bit only gets trotted out when we have to listen to people prattling on about how things are so much better in the North.
    If it so much better up there to you, then what are you doing down here?! :lol:
    Me, I hate cold, that's why I stay in the South.
    But yeah, I am Southern enough that when someone from Europe calls me a yank, my first response is "I am not a yank, I'm a southerner!" Then I usually have to explain my statement.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, generally people there just use their bed sheets to cover the beds, rather than wear them. :grin:

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Florida is the northern state of the south. Just as Idaho is the southern state of the north... Someone screwed that up big time...

@Chandos- Good one!

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ugh...Idaho...those people are weird. :nolike: They flock to SLC in droves for some reason, and I always end up behind one of them on the freeway. :bang: Those are the times I wish I drove a tank. :evil:

California has the perfect weather. Cold up top, hot down at the bottom...and just right around the Orange County/LA County area. The only thing CA needs is an impenetrable wall along the border, -5 million people (along with -10 million cars), and a lower cost of living. The last two things are what are keeping me from moving back. :bad:

19. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Grrrr... you know how much we native Floridians hate hearing that?! :D

20. martaug Gems: 23/31

There are native floridians?? :confused:
    I thought they were just a myth.:p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.