1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

...Shouldn't have done that...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by The Magister, Mar 23, 2007.

1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Well, all my worst moments have involved either cooking or computers. I've had my share of "grab the hot pan bare-handed" and "throw away the stuff you meant to keep" moments, too. As my sainted mother used to observe, reminiscing on her scientific days, "hot glass looks the same as cold glass." :rolleyes:

But my all-time "shouldn't have done that" came almost 20 years ago at work, when I was trying to re-write a DBaseII macro on our cutting-edge-for-the time PC system, and really messed it up, decided to start over, and gave the command "erase c:bad:" (as I recall) and the computer said "Are you sure? y/n" and I jabbed "y" just as I realized I was erasing the entire hard drive. Had to call my boss at home on her day off to get her to bring in the backup tapes - yes, magnetic tapes - so we could reinstall the data, which took nearly 18 hours and of course we still lost several days data.

Moral: if it says, "Are you sure?" hit "n" and think about it for a moment.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

...broke up with my girlfriend... :doh:

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

...got married ...didn't learn ...did it a second time

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, more gaffes at work - I think I should eat more fish and pitch all of the wife's aluminum cookware:

I'll check the hot case and see they need some fries and some fried chicken; so I'll cook the fries first so while I'm picking out the chicken and battering it, the fryer is in use - more efficient, right?

...unless you're almost done battering the load of chicken and you glance over and see the fry basket is still in the up position.... :doh:

"If you want to cook them, it helps if they actually go IN the oil!" :hahaerr:

Now if this was only once, I wouldn't mind, but I think it's happened about FOUR times in the last three days. :nolike:

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I was working on the server at school(which directs EVERYTHING network-wise for the entire district.....900+ computers) and I unthinkingly disabled the NIC to do some troubleshooting...about 5 minutes later my teacher starts getting phone calls out the ass that nothing is working....I lol'd for a while after that.

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Back when I was working construction, this one time I forgot to lock the back gate on the truck...and then proceeded to drive around town for awhile. When I stopped at my destination, I realized what I had done, and making things much worse, about half of a bundle of threaded rod was missing. Now threaded rod, also called all-thread or ready-rod, is about 5/8" thick, 6' long, and entirely threaded (but evenly threaded so that you can spin a nut down the entire length of the rod without any difference in torque needed---get the idea?)---in other words, a number of them lying next to one another on a road would act like marbles. Bye bye traction.

I'm not sure where they fell out, and to this day I have no idea if I caused an accident or not... I sincerely hope nothing horrible came of my mistake.

7. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you guys are funny... good thing someone posted in this topic recently else I wouldn't have read your funny stories.

I myself have similar experiences, but one such experience I can't forget is after our prom about 5 years ago. More like what happened in "Mean Girls" but mine was more like a misunderstanding than to embarrass me... or was it?

My friends (all male) decided to have a pool party (more or less a frat party) at my friends house after the prom. I got all psyched up that after our prom I went home and wore my Speedo and drove over my friends house (yep, drove in my Speedo). When I got there, I parked the car among all the others at the back of the house and went inside. To my horror, everyone still wore their prom outfits but me. I got so embarrassed that I rushed back to the car only to find more people getting out of their cars beside mine... :o :o

My friends told me they tried to warn me about changing plans (mostly because the supposed pool party turned into a prom afterparty) but my mobile phone was turned off.

The moral... "Don't drive in your Speedo" :D

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Your welcome.

Another bad idear: Throwing out a Game CD-key. I've done it about twice in my life, and hated myself for weeks afterwards (Cause the games usless and you cant return it without the bloddy Key!)

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've had it happen the other way around. I was convinced I had an exam on tuesday the 21st. So there I was on tuesday morning, waiting in front of the class room where we supposedly had an exam. Except when nobody had shown up by the time the exam should have begun, I was beginning to wonder if I had remembered the place and date correctly. So I found myself a computer and checked. I had remembered the date right, it was on the 21st. Except that the 21st was on a monday, not a tuesday.

So I'd missed that exam completely. No harm done, I thought, I'll just go study in the library for the exam I have tomorrow. And so I did. The trick is, I had remembered both exams this way: On tuesday the 21st, I had the first, then, the next day, on the 22nd, I had the second exam. Only after an hour of diligent studying in the library, did I realise that if the 21st was actually on monday, then the 22nd would be on tuesday, rather than wednesday. And so I managed to miss two exams in only an hour's time.

[ April 18, 2007, 13:16: Message edited by: henkie ]

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hehe, seeing this:

followed by this:

gave me a few laughs :D

Well.. in this category practically every weekend "had that last/those last drink/s" fits in :rolleyes: but.. more specifically?

Was high on Ecstasy in high school (I've only taken it a few times) but I went to bring my friend out to his parents (and he was only durnk :rolleyes: )

was in 1ST YEAR high school and when asked "who do you like here?" by the prettiest girl in the party, said: "you". yes, I've gotten better since then :p

a day after breaking up with my girlfriend (who cheated on me), I was drunk at the most popular beach in the country (ever hear of Boracay?)in the wee hours of the morning with the water up to my knees screaming her name at the waves. Oh, witnesses also said I was punching waves that "got too close" :rolleyes: people thought I was crazy :doh: See the influence of contemporary TV? :p

At my friend's private beach I didn't have any other drink to serve as a mixer or chaser so I drank Johhny Walker black mixed with (are you ready?) Sugar Water. I had just started reading Shogun by James Clavell at the time. I blacked out and woke up with nearly no memory. In the morning my friends said that I was screaming about Chief Yabu slaughtering all my men. Apparently I thought I was Blackthorne. Sugar Water make a man go crazy :bang:

those are a few of the more colorful "shouldnt've done that's" :p

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I was working food service in high school. Well, one day I had sex in the meat freezer. That was about the stupidest thing I can think of that I've ever done.

Had that happen. Senior year of college... exam was on Monday and I was certain that it was on Wednesday. So, I went in on Monday expecting a regular class. Promptly failed the exam.

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Similar thing happened to me in Boracay. But I was more hurling myself at the waves rather than shouting. Morning came with excruciating muscle pain.

[ April 26, 2007, 07:11: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.