1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should one get the IWD series? BG series comparison?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Mercury Star, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

To quote Strongbad:

'Oh. Guess who think's he's Clever Dan!.'

To return to the subject: If you want party interaction, this isn't the game for you.

If you want a great game for slaughtering things with a great stroyline, get it.

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Icewind Dale was more like the diablo games than the BG games. Hack your way from A to B all through it. If you like that kind of gmae, go for it. If you want one thats more like the BG games, go with planescape torment instead.

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

IWD2 doesn't have to be a hack and slash, the violent solution isn't the only way to do things (but I'm like Belkar, "Don't run my tasty pieces of XP"), until the the very end (but all games seem for force a violent resolution in the end).

Characters with high enough Diplomacy/Intimidate/Bluff can acutally allow you to skip fights and considerable use of stealth/invisibility almost always allows you to by pass a fight.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I can honestly say that IWD2 is NOT anything like BG2 and I mean that in a negative sense. I know this because I was some years ago thinking this same thing: BG2 finished, need something new to do, and no other RPGs in the market. So I bought it since it was in the discount bin.

What a waste of time and money, I can tell you; it's all about fragging monsters either with hack'n'slash or seriously nerfed spells. Usually the first. The story is non-existent, the level design poor, and most of the content has been ripped from BG2 to boot (like the shadow dragon, which, by the way, you have to fight somewhere around level 10). The AI also tend to piss me off more than one occasion (summons ignored, annoying spells, etc).

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I like IWD2 much more than BG2. I have played IWD2 many times, but have only managed BG2 twice. IWD2 may be hack and slash, but BG2 is all about overpowered cheating enemy wizards and planning your characters around superpowered weaponry that you know beforehand you are going to find.

The moral of the story is that different people like different games.

6. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, so far i like the starting city. The dialogs and NPCs were great. However, the first "dungeon" was somewhat low quality.

The combat is *much* better and fun. The classes are balanced and the magic is not so useless as it is in BG. I mean, hell, offensive magic in BG was nonexistent you could usually cast a single spell during a battle.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe more than in BG, but certainly less than in BG2. Summons, for example, last only for a very short time and they are also 100% ignored by the AI.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Damn. Haven't looked at it like that but you have the point.

Also right, though.

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Being that the Yuan-Ti in Toril are the spawn of breeding between the saurian creator race and human slaves, the Yuan-Ti having a Dragon Guardian isn't likely too appropriate. There was bad blood between the saurian and the dragons and dragons have LONG memories. That the Yuan-Ti idealize their Saurian ancestors probably doesn't help the situation any more either.

Oh well, maybe in some strange pocket of the D+D multiverse two Chaotic Evil creatures/races can put aside their differences and work peacably together. Forget about revenge, hatred, world domination and all that other chaotic evil stuff.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.