1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shop bought items

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Stu, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just wondering what people consider to be the best, or most powerful shop bought items in the game and what people tend to stock up on when they encounter a new funkey store in the middle of nowhere.

2. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Robe of Vecna IMO is the best thing you can buy in the whole game... And I tend to stock on potions of defense and oils of speed...

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I agree with the robe of Vecna but there's also Shield of Balduran which, despite the -1 STR, is a must when you're facing the beholders

4. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A seldom-mentioned item that I always buy is the Azure Edge Axe. It feels a bit weird to give a Kensai a point or two in axes so he can use the thing, but its too useful to pass up - its a throwing axe that can instakill undead. Think of a Mace of Disruption with ranged attack ability...

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Both items are way too powerful... I don't like these Bonus merchants anyway, since they are really too cheesy. Anybody can defeat hordes of beholders with the shield of Balduran and the robe of Vecna makes spellcasters ridiculously powerful.

@Stu: My favourite bought item would be Azuredge (the throwing axe) not very powerful but a fine weapon to have and its story is quite nice.

Btw sorry if I sound too grumpy ;)

[EDIT @Truper: good job it looks like you beat me on this one!]

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I buy the Blade of Roses :lol:
    Well Ok, I dont.

I might buy Aiger's Hide from Adventurer's Mart for a leather wearing frontliner.
    Mauler's Arm from the CC for any strength deficient Mace weilder. Azuredge is cool too.
    I seem to remember that there was something special you could buy in Trademeet after you had become its hero.
    I buy a few potions from that guy in the sewers. They are cheap iirc.
    One of the temples has the Boots of Grounding for sale.

I also visit Cromwel to get quite a number of items made. That place is my major expence in the game. And it only gets worse after installing the Item Upgrade mod. But that is not what you are talking of are you.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I usually don't have someone who can use axes, so Azuredge is out for me.

Staff of Rhynn +4 at the Adventure Mart is a nice early weapon for mages. That place has lots of nice items for sale in Chapter 6, but usually by then I don't need them. The helm of brilliance has some nice spells on it.

Tasheron's Bow (no ammo needed) and Belt of Inertial Barrier are decent items bought in Trademeet. There's an acid club +3 also for sale there which is good for club wielders.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Belt of Inertial Barrier, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, and the Bracers of Defense AC3 are all great items that can only be found in stores.

9. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Azuredge:

Shadows - One shot, ranged attack
    Shadow Fiends - One shot, ranged attack
    Wraiths - One shot, ranged attack
    Liches - One shot, ranged attack

Need I say more?

Also, the Belt of Inertial Barrier, I must agree, is awesome. ABHW? Pshaw! I laugh at it... MWAHAHAHAHA*cough, cough*

10. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Shadow-turned undead
    Shadow-death
    Shadow Fiend-turned undead
    Shadow Fiend-death
    Wraith-turned undead
    Wraith-death
    Lich-turned undead
    Lich-death

anyway, my favourite is:
    Robe of Vecna
    Shield of balduran
    Boots of speed

Also, I almost never succeed in destroying undead

11. Caradhras

Media:
    @Derkoth the Disgruntled: sure if the target fails its save (which happens more often than not) nevertheless Azuredge is not so useful against regular foes... Anyway it always comes back and if like me you're too lazy to switch between weapons it makes the fights last a wee bit longer!

12. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@Chickavalier: Yah, if you're a Paladin or a Cleric, which I never am (fighters and thieves, baby... beat 'em and backstab 'em...)

@Caradhras: I'm all about using the right tool for the job, though. Sure it takes a teeny bit longer, but in the long run it makes for faster kills, and a good bit more satisfaction!

13. Caradhras

Media:
    @Derkoth the Disgruntled: agreed, though it's enjoyable to have some more time to witness the puny attempts of the pathetic fools that dare to attack Charname!

(back to the topic) I definitely agree with Rastor. The bracers of AC3 and the Belt of Giant Strength are items almost every party can use and abuse.

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I tend to buy all of the Potions od Extra Healing (and end up with around 100+ in the underdark). I also go out of my way to pick up Azure Edge, for cleaving through the hords of undead.

15. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Giant strengh belts are so good.
    and how many times do you succeed in destroying undead?(in %)

EDIT:I'm 1%

16. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

With high level Cleric, 100% guerenteed turning undead at once.

Scarlet Ninja-to (right?) has some great effect if I heard it right (frankly I've never used it)

17. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Still few seem to appreciate the awesome power of the Rod of Resurrection.

Fairly cheap for what it does, it can be used at any time to restore all hit points, ( not only on a dead person ). The caster does not have to be right next to the person targetted, there is a good range on it, and it's reasonably quick to use, it can be obtained fairly early in the game either from a shop or an easy quest. Use 9 of it's 10 charges, and then sell it to a merchant and immediately buy it back fully charged again. It is as useful late in the game as it is early on. Many classes are capable of using it.

Nothing is more valuable for those difficult combats, not to mention the deaths following inattention or the springing of a nasty surprise. When you have this item there is much less pressure to re-load and replay.

Here ends the chapter "In praise of the Rod of Resurrection"....

18. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The only items I usually buy are the robe of vecna, the shield of balduran, and the bracers of defense a.c. 3

I always steal practically everything from every other store, but the adventurer's mart and the bonus merchants cannot be stolen from.

19. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Shield of Balduran!?!? ....you should be ashamed of yourself :)

20. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Girdle of Hill Giant Strength and Firetooth are both pretty high, but my favorite is definitley the Scroll Case.

How else am I going to get Imoen all those wonderful scrolls? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.