1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shatner

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Oxymore, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You know, this guy

Like him? Hate him?

Has he ever been in a "big" production since Star Trek and Hooker?

2. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

:confused:

don't know 'im.. Guess am a bit too young to have that kind of culture ;) .

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I love William Shatner. I think I'm the only one I know, except my brother (who is a Star Trek geek, but not quite a Trecky) who actually likes him. Most people I know can't stand him. I think his funny, goofy, self-depricating style says a lot about what kind of person he is. He has every right to have a big head, considering the millions of Trekkies who worship him as a god, yet he's a big enough man to laugh at himself. Very cool.

...and hilarious link, by the way. Well, I thought it was funny.

@ Lady

He was "Captain Kirk" on the original Star Trek series, and somewhat of a pop-culture icon.

4. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Shatner is THE MAN

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Well, he was also in the "Tek Wars" cable series (which was based on books he wrote, BTW) a few years back but that hardly counts as a big production. He also starred as the "Chairman Kaga" equivalent in the first "American Iron Chef" show. I don't know if he'll be in the new production or not.

I'm with you, DR - the guy's got a clue as to how to have fun with himself. He can even act, as long as the role is some variant of the "arrogant loose cannon military guy" stereotype.

Just don't let him sing ;) :roll:

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Personally, I like Shatner for the reasons stated above, though I did read an article a while back that claimed that the Tek series was really written by a ghost writer, and that he was only lending his name to it. :confused: Hope it is not true, though I really didn't like the one book that I read to pick up another.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In my opinion he can't act, can't write and certainly can't sing but I find that his attempts to do the first two are generally quite amusing.

As far as his reported arrogance is concerned, it doesn't bother me - I don't have to deal with him.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I don't know about him starring in anything, but I do know that he was in "Miss Congeniality" and has made numerous appearances on the show "Third Rock from the Sun", among other things.

In other words;

William - Shatner - is a - great - actor - and - a - won - der - ful - person - as - well.

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Of course I know him, but I'm a Star Trek fan, so that kinda explains it. I'm neutral on the matter of liking or disliking him.

As for the question whether he has been in any big productions: he had a pretty big part in the movie Showtime, which wasn't a major production, but I don't think it went totally unnoticed.

Didn't he also host some reality show, in the early ninties?

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Is that guy still alive? :wave:

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think at first he took himself too seriously. But after awhile, he realized how silly he was being, lightened up, and started parodying himself. Now I think he's pretty funny.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've seen Shatner on TV frequently over the last few years. He was hosting some crime show, I think... I'm sure some fansites have all the info on that.

Anyway, I never particularly liked him. For some reason, every time I see him I think of him chasing skirts around the universe and see Uhura standing next to him on the bridge in leather boots with high heels... It'd probably be different if I didn't see the modern trek shows before I got around to seeing any of the early trek shows and movies. But as it is, that whole image is too comical for me to be able to take most of TOS or him seriously.

13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I saw him in both Star Trek and Hooker (but Hooker only dubbed version :p ) and I don't know why, but he bothers me. :mad: But still he has a way of keeping me watching. :o So, actually I have no clue what to make of him. :confused: :D

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

William Shatner. While TOS is cool, he is one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

I recently read in a magazin that he is recording his second music album. His first album 30 years ago was IIRC really bad and a mega-flop, so the second one can only be better. But I ask myself, why would musicians like Joe Jackson and Henry Rollins work with Shatner? Do they have no pride?

15. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Do you remember that thread about William Hung? I think that Shatner and Hung share the same kind of appeal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.