1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sexism?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Methylviolet, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

ejsmith, it's cute when you try to use laughter condescendingly. No, wait. Not cute. I meant "cheap." Yeah, that's it.

Chick trainers. Wow. That means a lot. Not.

Go back and read what I wrote. Then compare carefully your assumptions. See how different they are? Good boy.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Sorry to misinterpret that Methyl. You're correct, the female contribution is much greater in the birth process. However, isn't having a father figure around important for the healthy emotional development of children?

I honestly have no opinion on the women in combat. A massive war would be just as likely to decimate the civilian population as the soldiers, leaving us with the same situation had the women actually been in combat. Personally, I'd like to see neither gender required to do service time or be drafted, instead, they join the army if they want to.

3. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Why enrage ?
    Methyl do you know Bachofens "Mutterrecht". It's a very profound book about the ancient matriarchic societies.
    If i were a man ;) i wouldn't have liked this matriarchic stuff too.
    It's not true, that all men have more muscles then women. Depends on training.
    But yeah because of our menstruation were a bit slowed, and always getting children...
    But if we wanted, we could rule the world :p and that explains the fears of old societies/cultures, old enough to remember in a way the ancient matriarchate.
    I love being a woman. I think it's the best gender to have. There have to be some men too. :lol: Well don't mind.
    You can call it female sexism but ... i think Strindberg was right also. And he was a macho. But i can't recall the name of his book and i have no link to it, so maybe by new laws (in this forum)i have to vanish into thin air.
    And "SCUM" by Valerie Solanas. Which describes what negative effects patriarchy can have in a modern society.
    I'm not feministic, just curious about psyche and society. Yeah, i swear.

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Rastor, you have made an excellent point. The way warfare has been practiced over the last century, it's not much less dangerous to be a civilian than to be a soldier if your country is under attack. Therefore the idea of keeping women out of the army to ensure their survival is weakened. Dresden and Hiroshima were full of women and children- most of the male residents were off at war when the cities were decimated. I'd rather be on the front lines with a gun or at the very least a first aid kit, DOING something about the war, than sitting at home fretting over my gentle menfolk and waiting for a bomb to drop.

Aside: I was just kidding about the sexist pig thing. I was trying to be ironic. Hope it didn't hurt your feelings.

I joined the army and spent 3 years preparing myself to make a valuable contribution if ever this wonderful country that adopted me should be attacked. Partly I did this because I was sick at heart to watch my male friends - those who were also from France originally - surrender their citizenship rather than go home to spend 9 months doing military service. What a sad thing- I criticise everything that is wrong with all the countries I call my own but wouldn't hesitate to defend any of them if they were under attack. I don't think the fact that I have ovaries absolves me of responsibility to do so.

5. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I'm interested in this book of which you speak.

So far as I've read, societies have been matrilineal but never matriarchal in the sense of the women of the society holding any sort of governing power.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Many Indian societies and African societies are true matriachies. I agree though, I cannot think of any civilization that was a true matriachy either. Many did allow women to hold positions of power, however. I guess our modern day civilization is still behind these antedeluvian cultures.

I have no problem with women in the military. However, in the US, men are required to register for the draft. Women are not. I personally think that either both should be required or neither should. One of my cousins has a dream of being a Navy SEAL, but since she's female, that's never going to happen. I think she should at least be able to try out, if that's what she wants to do.

7. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Wait. Your first two sentences seem to contradict each other.

What African or Indian cultures are matriarchal?

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Rastor:

Actually, she can. But the catch here is, not a single one has actually survived boot camp. If you're already rated, or unrated for that matter, and you're through boot camp, you have to be 'nominated' by a commanding officer. After that, it's just a plane ride away from Budswiser. Which just doesn't happen due to the strength side. Endurance isn't the problem, raw strength is.

Anyway, I'm putting Godwin's Law at .95 on this one so far...

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Hmm, now that's a new one for me. Everything I've read said that being male is one of the requirements. Guess you really can learn something new all the time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.