1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Senate to return to Republican control?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Carcaroth, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, but look at how popular Bush was with the Republican party until fairly recently. The Republicans got more votes that the Democrats in 04, so if we hypothetically consider a party system, in the U.S., Bush would have become prime minister. While Bush is not very popular at this moment in time, he was the Republican poster boy for the past 6 years. Even though many people thought him polarizing, and sharply disagreed with his views, most Republicans absolutely loved him. That's why I'm saying it could happen in Europe as well. If you're popular with your party, you can get ahead even if lots of people think you're a complete idiot.

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] One problem with an elected government, coupled with mass media (especially television), is that people tend to vote for Charisma rather than Intelligence or Wisdom. You can get far more votes with a catchy phrase/slogan and a pretty face than with a well-reasoned and carefully formulated argument.

I don't think it works much differently in America than it does in Europe, except I suspect campaigns are much more expensive, so you need more money to be elected - and you end up owing more people favors after you have been elected.

The disadvantage to the American "Winner takes all" system is that it favors big parties and makes it all but impossible for independents or third-party candidates to win (the last time a new party replaced an older one was in 1860 when the Republicans came to power at the expense of the Whigs). And, election districts can be shaped ("Gerrymandered") for political purposes.

The advantage is that candidates represent their districts and that everyone is, in theory, directly and personally represented in Congress.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. But I still believe strongly in the notion of true representative government, and that ultimate power resides with the people. And in the end, the people get the representation they deserve (especially since they vote for it). I still am very happy with the American system of government, even though the choices have been a bit limited lately, as you correctly point out. But there are always long-shots like Ross Perot and Ralph Nader, who have made their own marks on the face of American politics. Anytime people wish to, they can vote for an alternative to the two party system (although limited), and still they choose not to. It reminds me a lot of that old expression - "The election is over and the People have spoken...the bastards." :)

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I agree that the representative democracy is the best form of government. I suppose Europeans and Americans alike think "their system" is best because it's the one they are used to. There is at least one point where I prefer America: You have the best constitution!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.