1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sen. Inhofe takes revenge, proposes to curb FAA 'overreach'

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The ever cranky and cantankerous Senator from Oklahoma, James Inhofe has pastimes other than denying climate change, and one of them is flying, dangerously, invoking the ire of the FAA who imposed on him the sanction of having to complete a program of remedial training.
    Inhofe is now ...
    Yes, poor him. How dare the FAA sanction him for reckless flying. Tyranny, sheer tyranny, I tell you.
    Riiiiiight.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't see the problem here. As stated in the article, Inhofe was unaware of the problems when dealing with the FAA until he had to go through the process himself. Problems such as not being provided with the relevant evidence before the proceedings begin.

He's not saying that the FAA should not sanction people, he's saying the process does not allow the pilots a fair hearing.

3. Ragusa

Media:
    BTA,
    Inhofe was apparently flying under visual flight rules. Him being unaware of that really big X on the runway would mean that he didn't look where he was landing. What he did was akin to running over a red light or a school crosswalk. He didn't get his remedial training for nothing or at a whim.

It doesn't matter if he didn't see it, since he was expected to see it as we are all expected to see and respect traffic lights or crosswalks when driving on the streets. Telling the cop "I didn't see it!" will probably only make sure you get a ticket to make sure you'll DO see it the next time and if Inhofe did see the big X and proceeded to land anyway ... :eek:

What remains is this: He committed a formal violation, was observed, reported, punished and that's the end of the story. I cannot imagine anything that Inhofe could have plausibly brought forth on a hearing that would have changed anything about his rule violation and that would have led to a different outcome. IMO he is trying to get back at the FAA or being so harsh with a Senator, and he's using the horrible lack of due process as his pretext.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I read that more like BTA than Ragusa. To me it seemed like Inhofe was more upset with the process he had to go through then the punishment.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't think so:

6. Ragusa

Media:
    That pretty much says it all. He uses the classic lawyer's defence: (a) there was no X (b) if there was an X I didn't see it (c) and third, the X was really poorly done ...

And then, his professed horror at the consequences. It's as expressing surprise at the extraordinary discovery that the triviality of serious traffic violations may cost you your drivers license! Who would have thought that (and who would have thought that it isn't any different in aviation)? The horror! The outrage! The tyranny! Clearly, there must be a sore lack of due process to allow such cruel and unusual punishment! Without a hearing! The horror! The outrage! The tyranny!

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Even with traffic violations you get a fair hearing and many people beat the charges.

What's so horrible about his bill, and how is it punishing the FAA?

8. Ragusa

Media:
    BTA,
    the joke is that the FAA has a process that includes a hearing already.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...n/agc400/civil_penalty/FAQ/dsp_AGC400_FAQ.pdf

The second joke is that Inhofe apparently - because he didn't do nothin', no Sir - concludes that, if he gets a sanction, the reason for that injustice clearly must be that they didn't give him enough hearing. Maybe he didn't get a chance to remind them that he is a US Senator. The law clearly fixes that part.

---------- Added 1 hours, 48 minutes and 12 seconds later... ----------

The episode gets better by the minute:
    Inhofe saw the X and landed anyway. It probably didn't help improve his standing with the FAA that Inhofe the other day started his aircraft on the way out from a taxiway, racking up another infraction.
    I really like the part where he says, being given the option to start on any one of the four bidirectional runways, that he had no choice but to choose the taxiway, for the convenience of a smoother ride :D A couple quotes:

Inhofe: "Since there was no accident, there appeared to be no significant problem" Try that one with the cops after running over a red light ...

Airport manager Marshall Reece: “I’ve got over 50 years flying, three tours of Vietnam, and I can assure you I have never seen such a reckless disregard for human life in my life.

The air traffic controller: "N115 Echo Alpha landed right in the middle of them doing their work on runway 1331 and damn near killed somebody out there"

Yes, but only 'damn near'. No killing, no foul. F*ck these workers if they can't take a joke. Clearly, the goons of the FAA should have given the good Senator more of a hearing. That would have brought ... the truth out, and changed everything. Just imagine the good Senator's desperation in face of the cruel, Kafkaesque process they put him through. Teaching the good Senator that he has to fly by FAA rules? Clearly overreach.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.