1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Semi-spoiler request - thieving items

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Aug 14, 2010.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's been a while since I've played BG2. I'd like to try playing a thief-type. I haven't decided which one.

I'm trying to remember the quickest way to acquire boots of stealth, the cloak of stealth, and the two rings that give bonuses to thieving skills. A pair of boots of speed I can swap out would help as well.

I believe there was a site that listed where to find most of the equipment in the game, but I lost the link. Could somebody please repost it?

2. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Go to the docks district and enter the thieves guild. Ring of lock picks is on a rogue thief in the thieves warrens (NW corner if I recall, near an exit). Boots of stealth are available from the Mae Var quest. See Renal Bloodscalp and accept the job to expose Mae Var. The boots are with the incriminating papers. Boots of speed are in the Planar Prison (Haer Dalis quest). Go to the playhouse in the docks district under the Five Flagons to start the quest.

SlickRCBD likes this.
  3. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Ring of Danger Sense is in the Planar Sphere. Don't forget to install the bonus merchants and buy the Mercykiller Ring from the bonus merchant in the Adventurer's Mart. You can get a Ring of Invisibility by killing that gang on the second floor of the Den of the Seven Vales in Walkeen's Promenade. You can get the Cloak of Non-Detection in this same battle. Another Ring of Invisibility is a reward for killing the lich in the Crooked Crane's backroom in the Gates District. You have to wait until Suldanessellar to get the Cloak of Elvenkind though. Finally, don't forget to pick up Solaufein's Drow Piwafwi Cloak either via reward or loot.

I think these items and the ones Sparky has mentioned pretty much cover most of what you were searching for. Personally, I suggest either Swashbuckler or Bounty Hunter thief kits.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not sure if it's what you're thinking about, but Gamebanshee lists the locations.

5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I forgot to mention the Gloves of Pickpocketing on the second floor of the Copper Coronet.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Thanks, I know it's meta-gaming and all that, but having fun is what's important. Getting the items lets me alleviate some frustration due to my low amount of thieving points in SoA and save some reloading.

I should contribute The Night's Gift from the Adventurer's Mart, but that is pretty obvious. I plan to buy it ASAP and I'll probably be using it for most of the game along with the mercykiller ring.

My assassin needs all the help he can get with stealth as I'm relying on him for basic thieving skills at the expense of stealth and detect illusions.
    Heck, detecting illusions takes priority over stealth considering I'm getting +20% from The Nights Gift, +20 from the mercykiller, and +15 from the boots for a total bonus of +55 plus my dex bonus.

7. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

You're thinking of the wrong armor, my friend. The Night's Gift is gotten from Minister Lloyd in Imnesvale upon completion of the Shade Lord's quest. The Armor of Deep Night is sold in the Adventurer's Mart and has no bonuses to Stealth. But don't worry, killing Mae'Var nets you his Shadow Armor, which also grants a Stealth bonus.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Reading this thread made me realise that I have stopped playing BG-2 long enough to actually have forgotten details. After playing BG-2 n times, I eventually knew the game by heart, especially the thievery aspects. Good! It means BG-2 has re-gained re-play value for me.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Indeed my case in point. Although I'll probably install some mod I haven't tried yet before I play that introduces new content so there will be a few surprises.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.