1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Second run powergaming advice

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by joacqin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Shapeshifting is a niche skill. :p I guess the closest thing you can compare it to is Jaheira's Harper Call, so don't use it if you have a cleric around (ie don't use it if the situation calls for a mage and not hit-and-run tactics).

My guess is the little things that makes this game so much better than several of its predecessors. Has anyone else noticed that the characters react instantly when you order them to move? No delayed "turning" animation or some similar annoyances that spoil momentum.You'll experience a slight delay when your characters need to draw their weapons, but otherwise gameplay is a lot smoother than other games of its type. The characters also don't stutter as much, and the pathing AI is better. And whoever came up with the character AI customization option was a genius. It lacks refinement, true, and you really to familiarize yourself with it but currently I'm already using it to duplicate some of the more complicated tactics I've only used since BG2.
    The character creation screen was very well done, the default game screen is nice, key game utilities are pretty well developed - inventory (or does anyone honestly prefer scrolling though multiple backpacks? And there's an item sorting option too... a few more refinements like an option to list items alphabetically/current-setting and vice versa and it should be perfectly functional), skills, talent/spells, party formation, character sheet...
    So far this has been the only game that has actually made me consider mods, because the game is so functional all it really lacks is 1)refinement and b)a good story. I actually think audio is nice, some effects definitely sound recycled but the scores are pretty nice and they fit well. I hate Leliana's voice though... personal reasons.
    This may not be BG2's spiritual successor but I personally think it came very close to catching up with BG1.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    SI - I was referring to the shape-shifting in the Fade section of the Mage's Tower, which was sort of a blast, at least for me. I especially liked it in combat, when my guy would get overwhelmed, and I could shift into a mouse and scamper down a mousehole to get away, or shift into the spirit form and use crushing prison. I wish the game had more inventive turns like that. To be fair, I have not finished the game yet, so I still have to reserve judgment. I'm just finishing the Redcliff section and so far it is pretty good.

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Nah I'm just happy I finally found a game worth investing time into I guess. Although I also enjoyed NWN and NWN2 it was mostly because of the thrill of perfecting character builds, and less because of the actual gameplay. This game has been very promising so far. I do hope Dragon Age 2 exceeds my expectations one day (if it ever gets done), but so far I'm just glad DA:O turned out fine.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I don't feel like starting a new thread for this but I'm currently trying a different Rogue build. I've decided to skip combat talents and skills to focus on thieving and more roguish stuff.

It means that I have plenty of talent points to go around. I'm even stuck right now because I can't put my talent point anywhere at level 3 since all second tier rogue talents require at least a level 4 character. I will have two points to distribute at level 4 and then I'll get stuck at level 7 and will have two points to distribute at level 8.

The way I'm trying to build this character is to maximize skills like stealing (master is required to pick pockets in combat). Since I will have enough skills to go around I'll invest in Lockpicking which will allow me to limit my investment in Cunning. I'll only need 30 points in Cunning thanks to the Fade bonuses and the gear which will get me closer to the 35 points mark.

Consequently I'll be able to pump up points into Dexterity which is certainly not a bad thing since Awakening introduced some major changes and makes Dexterity more valuable for Rogues (it unlocks some very useful talents).

With 35 points in Cunning you only need the first three ranks in Coercion to be able to pass every speech check in the game (except Intimidation of course).

I'm not sure how well this build will work but I'll get an opportunity to use bombs, traps and poisons (not that useful for a dual wielding rogue who dishes out damage like there's no tomorrow).

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The build you are playing is how I played my first rogue out; I always went with the rogue special abilites first and foremost and than when went with dual wielding if I didn't have any rogue special abilities to level up.

You could go for a bow rogue with Bard and Ranger as the specialization. It would make the PC the best support character ever.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    I actually messed up my first build because I wanted to use the Warden Commander Armour and a high tier longsword in each hand (a terrible idea). It was effective but in no way comparable to the pure awesomeness of my second Rogue who had a very high Cunning score.

With my current character I haven't invested any point in the combat skill so I can't take any combat related talent. :)

My current Rogue is actually using a dagger and a shield. I made a priority of pickpocket in order to use it in combat against bosses (so far I've noticed that some merchants carry some interesting items). I haven't used stealing much so I thought it would make this playthrough more enjoyable.

I also feel that the game is a bit easy with a dual wielding Rogue and I want to be in a position which will force me to make the most of poisons, bombs and traps (which I don't use that much even on Nightmare).

Furthermore I'm thinking about taking Duelist and Assassin and max them both asap so that I'll be able to benefit from their abilities instead of going for Riposte, Dual Weapon Expertise and Momentum.

It's partly because of Awakening that I changed my mind about the Cunning Rogue. Even if you go for a Dual Wielding Rogue, you need to put many points in Dexterity to take advantage of all the new talents. 50 points in Dexterity (for Unending Flurry) is a lot for a Cunning Rogue especially if you start Awakening with less than 30 points in natural Dexterity... You need 40 points for the Ghost talent, 46 points for Weak Points and 52(!) points for Flicker.

Spreading points between Cunning and Dexterity is another possibility but it seems like a lot of trouble. In DAO a Cunning Rogue could get away with less than 30 points in natural Dexterity and more than 70 points in Cunning (depending on the level).

In order to make that character work in Awakening you need to start with more points in Dexterity which would make Dexterity and Cunning even. If you intend to take Rogue talents (including Master level in Lockpicking) the use of an incredibly high Cunning score is less obvious (an almost pure Cunning build has the advantage of saving many talent points that are not needed while still being able to perform all the actions related to these talents). So I assume that going for 30 points in Cunning and putting the rest in Dexterity will be more effective in the long run (with perhaps a few points added to Strength if necessary to bring it to 20 with the Fade bonus and items in order to be able to equip the best Rogue items).

A high Dexterity build has its advantages (huge defense, great attack rating and more damage with short blades) even if Lethality is less effective than with a high Cunning build.

Anyway that's my plan. I'll have to test it in game to see how it goes. ;)

That is a really good build idea for a support character (i.e. Leliana) I just don't feel like playing my main character that way. I used a mod to distribute Leliana's points as I wanted and I usually make her into a dual wielding Cunning Rogue rather than an Archer since I feel Duelist suits her character nicely. I may give the Bard/Ranger a try for a change.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you going for a Rogue who uses all the Rogue abilities I recommend putting 2 poins into Cunning and 1 point into Dex. This will balance out your build and give you the maximum use from the rogue stealth talent. Not having enough points in stealth tends to leave the rogue viewable very quickly.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I appreciate your suggestion as it's always nice to have a second opinion. I intend to max out Stealth of course. I'll see how it plays out. I've been a staunch supporter of the Cunning build but with the expansion I think there is more to be gained from going for a more Dexterity oriented build.

Anyway, I have three games going and I should play more and post less. ;)

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My rogues have had pretty much balanced Dexterity and Cunning. My current one has a higher Dex now, and has three levels of the stealth talent, but was unable to hide from the first Juggernaut Revenant during combat. It said his stealth ability wasn't high enough... I decided to come back later when his level was higher. I think he's somewhere in the range of 10th level... definitely below 12 because he hasn't been able to take talents that require level 12.

He's been able to hide from everything else so far though.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Interesting BTA. Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss the balanced Dexterity/Cunning build... Still, in order to get the best abilities in Awakening as soon as they are attainable it is best to prioritize Dexterity (if only to get at the very least 40 points in natural Dexterity before starting the expansion).

I think the fourth rank in Stealth will make quite a difference so it should work out. Besides Revenants are certainly not your average monsters.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.