1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Screen freezes at Annah's first level-up

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Cornered, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Cornered Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

First question: Annah just joined Morte, Dak'kon & me, & we're at the painted door. Rather than enter the door immediately, I decided to kill some Abishai to get my mercs a level-up first.

Annah quickly gets her level-up. I click on her level-up button, & it works. But then the screen is frozen; I can't click on the Accept button, & I have to enter Task Manager (in Windows 7) & close the game.

I'm using the 1-CD game, so I think I already have the 1.1 fix. The only other mods I've installed are Platter's Fix Packs v1.37 & 1.37b, but I installed them while playing this current game, so I don't think they're effecting this game. Plus I've had this problem with Annah's level-up since before I installed them, so the problem is obviously related to something else.

I've tried previous saves, all the way back to my speech with Pharod, at the end of which Annah joins us.

Is this a bug? Or do I have to enter the painted door before she can use her first level-up? Or do I have to visit Fell the tattoo artist first? Or what?

Second question: We killed 2 Abishai before Annah leveled up. Strangely, the Abishai always seem to go for Annah first, so after each battle I went to a rest place to get her healed. When I used the guy in the House of Vermin Control for a rest, I couldn't click on him to get him to talk. Does Annah's presence have anything to do with that?

Updates (several hours later)

Update 1: I should've mentioned above that Morte & Dak'kon had also leveled up, & I had no problems with their level-ups.

Update 2: I later returned to the House of Vermin Control & was able to rest 3 times successfully (still with Annah), so I don't know what the problem was the first time.

Update 3: I've talked with Fell, had a deep talk with Dak'kon, & wrapped things up back at the Mortuary, so I entered the painted door. I've just finished the first half of the Alley of Lingering Sighs. Annah now has enough XP for two level-ups, so I tried to use them again. Still the same problem: the level-up button works & her stats go up, but the Accept button doesn't work, so I can't complete her level-up.

Interestingly, by the looks of the XP she got, the Level-up button did both of her level-ups at once. Which makes my problem even worse: the more level-ups that are on hold when I click the Level-up button, the harder it's going to be for me to get her max HP on re-rolls.

So...I'm about to enter the second half of the Alley of Lingering Sighs, where I'll be getting so much XP that Annah may very well level up again & have 3 level-ups waiting to be used.

I've stopped playing for now, hoping someone can solve her problem. I don't want to start a new game. So if no one knows how I can fix this problem, I'm simply going to remove her from my party.

So far, she's been only a detriment. Every time we enter a battle, the enemies ALWAYS go for her first. Why is that? Are enemies designed to go for the weakest member first?

And I still don't know how to get her back-stab to work. In the Tenement of Thugs room with the 12+ thugs, she was down to 3 HP before I got her behind the rest of us while we finished the thugs off while blocking the doorway so that they couldn't get to her.

Is she required for anything else in the main quest after getting me through the painted door?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
Sorcerer's Place is an independent project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of time and money on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!