1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scariest game you have ever played

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elvenblade, Jul 1, 2003.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

AvP1. At night again, as a marine, in the dark. 3 o clock, with Surround sound speakers.

Its behind you......

3. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I remember playing Alone In The Dark when I was a kid and I was alone in the dark....
    ahhh old days....

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I have a demo for Silent Hill, but I'm a big girl, and don't wanna play it. I hear its really creepy when you use an analog controller, which vibrates to your characters heart beat, creepy (and cool). Apparently you find a radio that gives off eerie music, and crackles when danger is nearby, also creepy (and cool :p )

5. book_marq Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hehe....about two years ago I was playing Alien vs Predator all alone in the dark. The wife and little ones were gone so I thought I'd take advantage of my new speaker system.

After about 30 minutes of game time I heard the ever so creepy whispered voice "anytime" spoken DIRECTLY BEHIND ME! I jumped up out of fright and spilled my rootbeer all over my keyboard.....

Other than that there are two moments. The original Resident Evil when the dogs jump through the windows in the hall way at you and in Silent Hill...........well, pretty much that whole bloody game gave me the willies!

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Scariests game? Castlevania, no question about it. Since I got scared by this game I have never ever even touched a game that can be mildly described as being scary. Castlevania in the dark with the music and the castle and the mood and the icky monsters! :mommy:

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For me it was also Thief 1. The Cathedral mission (as mentioned) is fantastically scary. It's not just the mission itself but the fact that you get a brief scary view of the Cathedral in an earlier mission. By the time you have to go back to it, you really don't want to :) .

Thief 2 didn't do it for me anywhere near as well. It was tense but not scary.

System Shock 2 was pretty good as well, as you were always expecting something horrible to happen. The back story letting you know who the monsters were before the accident also added to the horror (those poor nurses :( ).

Other 'jump out of your seat' moments include the charging bull thingies in Doom, the noise of the spiders in Eye of the Beholder, several night missions withour goggles in Operation Flashpoint and realising you haven't saved in ages as you walk into a roomfull of beholders in BG2.

PS I can appreciate the Aliens versus Predetor scariness just from playing the demo - I never did get around to buying the full game as it seemed very difficult and the original had no in level save.

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

LoL @ 8people, thanks for a good laugh dude :D

First time I played Resident Evil I was abit scared sometimes. But I know I´ve played another game that totally freaked me out, just cant remeber which one it was.

Blood Rayne made me "jump" alittle sometimes.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] No problem ;)

I want to get my mother to play it, in the dark with the plasma ball, fish etc...

then we'll see whos laughing :evil:

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Once again I say that you're evil 8people.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What? She won't get it anyway, in the BG2 intro movie sha asked me who the funny man jumping around was :rolleyes:

Anyway - I know she's scared of carwashes.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Is she claustrophobic?

13. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] yes - she also thinks the car is going to get crushed by the brushy things.

another scary game:

MY LITTLE PONY! IT IS EVIL!!! ARGH!

14. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You´re too good people... :D

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] resident evil.. damn dogs ;) I'll never forget.

16. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] A demo, yes a demo of Silent Hill. Never gone near it since, I was 12 it was mid-night and I was alone in the dark, and my house makes strange noises... :(

17. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I think the person who lives in the flat under us is a werewolf - she keeps making weird noises. I'm going to get Chevvy to make some holy water so we can get her when she comes out to do the garden, then we'll make her wear silver and hope all the hair and fangs shrink back :spin:

18. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Elvenblade, right on with the Thief1. That mission is fairly intense. Trying to listen past all the moaning and chain rattling is tough.

Everything is relative. I was scared out of my wits over Zork1 and 2, for the longest time. Alone in the Dark was the first one to make me jump.

I wouldn't really call it "scary", but it comes really close. Xcom1, with the etherals, was fairly suspenseful and it really shakes you. When you first research the etheral autopsy, and the description "The eyes and nose do not appear to funtion at all. The heart and skeletal muscles are severely atrophied, although the brain draws an enormous amount of the blood flow. We do not know how the creature sustains itself."

It's worst if you shoot down a UFO, and all the etherals are killed, and you just have to mop up a couple of other creatures. You never get all the mind controlling, and you have never *seriously* had to deal with any etherals. Just that description leaves you with no clue what to expect on the next encounter.

19. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

OT Question: Does Thief work on XP? I checked the box and it said it was unsupported. I'm a little unsure.

20. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Let's not forget the crypt levels in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Damn they're spooky :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.