1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scariest creature

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Carrior Crawlers give me the willies. Their skin looks like paper covered in grease stretched over a frame, and when they rear up they look straight at you...

It used to have a bigger effect than it did before. Once I changed them to look like demon knights so I didn't have to look at them. That led to amusing situations in the sewers.

2. Tananda Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'd have to say either beholders or liches...especially high-level of either. There's nothing like a creature that can banish you from this plane with an Imprisonment spell to make you say s***.
    However, I agree with the idea that Neb can be pretty creepy by reason of his very realism.

3. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Raveger as well is damn scary.

4. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Funny. Bodhi's portrait always gave me a boner. :D
    Her male vampire friends are scary, though.

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Most definitely.... Caspenar, the butler from Hell!

"Ooo, needs must I look through your belongings??"

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Irenicus-IMO he is the best written/acted character in the game. He is so convinced he is right and the rest are just idiots for not realizing it. I've met so many just like him. Oh, oh I think I'm one of them.

7. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

This thread has made me think: what would happen if (in the game) you hadn't intervened, and these creatures would have been successful at their endevours?

***SPOILERS***

What would happen if Irenicus had been successful in sapping the Tree of life?

What would Kangaxx do if you set him free then died, leaving him free to "burn the world to ash"

What would happen if "The imprisoned one" managed to emerge from watcher's keep?

What if the sewer beholder had managed to obtain both parts of the rift device?

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Mind Flayers scare the bejesus out of me, especially when the team is unprepared.

Mariliths come second.

9. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think Jan Jansen is pretty scary when you let him sit idle a while. :p

Really the scariest would have to be that group at the gates of Baldur's Gate when you enter the town after coming from Underdark. I'm not sure though if that happened because of some mod I had installed, since I donät remember it happening the first time I played the game.

Also that group which resides in another plane accessed with rogue stone through a certain door. You all know what I mean. Just canät remember the name.

10. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

it's not really the *scariest* creature i met in bg2, but it's something no one seems to have noticed, because it's so early in the game.

i said not the scariest creature but it made me shiver a lot. remember chateau irenicus, the 2nd level ? just left to the big room with dead khalid and the mephtit-portals there's a small room where you get to fight a clone, in fact the room is full of clones. evidently joneleth intented to clone ellesime for realizing what has lost. imo here you could for once *feel* how irenicus is set. grieving for who he has lost this makes him truly "the shattered one".

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Noober, definitely... how can you not quiver with dread when he talks to you?

Nobody mentioned Faldorn? Did any of you ever try to take her out the old fashioned way (I mean without using Cernd or poisonning the grove either), I tried in my first game, no matter hard I hit I couldn't kill her... add her rambling about nature... She had me summoning fiends for quite a while -lol-

Bodhi is really hot!!!! (I like her voice...) ;)

12. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I know this may be a wierd one, but Balthazar kinda gives me the creeps. I can't really explain it, but in the last dialogue with him...I dunno, it just freaked me out. That said Neb and the Tanner are also high on my list. I guess Dragons and Beholders and the like might be freaky to walk up to, but the demented and realistic portrayals of humanity and what really scare me.

13. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Plotwise I always shudder when I go into the secret flayer fortress in the sewers. You never know what's going on in this world... *brrr*

14. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG]
    I would stick my neck out for her any day of the week. :p

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Kangaxx, particularly in his Demilich form.

Irenicus (kudos to David Warner for the amazingly good voice acting), particularly in the dream sequences and even more so after the asylum maze in Spellhold ("This place is yours! I hope it is your tomb!")

And the winner is... Demogorgon! The first time I entered his room and had to "talk" to him, with no words but only impressions, it was truly *creepy*.

16. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Of course I meant Shangalar, Vaxall, Revanek and co. when I was talking about that group in the bridge district.

The other group I was referring to appeared because of aPack (Rogue and Bard balancing mod). That fight is definitely worth checking, even if you don't otherwise care so much about rogues or bards.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

the "Creature" that you have to kill in the underark in order for the deep dwarves/gnomes to help you out. that's some scary sh*t, having to go in there with nothing but roughly this description: "something ancient that was awekened and nobody who's gone near it has been seen since". damn...

18. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Enagonios... the underdark creature you refer to would be scary to me if it weren't for the fact that it was blatently obvious to me when I first got the quest that it would be just a copycat of the LoTR's balrog... I mean come on look at the names... Balor, Balrog... I wish they wouldn't copycat stuff like that because it sortof takes away from the game if you ask me.

I laughed when I first encountered that quest:

"we've delved too deep and awakened an ancient evil"

hmm.... deja vu!

19. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@nataben1314: the Balrog parallels didn't bother me, considering D&D itself is lifted almost entirely whole cloth from Tolkien's work, with a smattering of Michael Moorcock & Jack Vance tossed in for good measure. It's kinda par for the course IMO, and it actually didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it. I guess I'm just used to it. :D

Word on Neb. He's one of the most realistic villains I've seen in a cRPG and that's what makes him so freakin' creepy.

After Neb I would have to say the aboleth near the entrance of Ust Natha. For some reason those things really freak me the hell out, I don't really know why exactly.

Illithids also scare me, but it has little to do with the brain-eating (I think that part's funny. I also get a kick out of zombies though, so it's just me). It's the mind-slavery that freaks me out, the way your will is totally subsumed by them, but there is a tiny part of you that realizes what's going on and can't do anything about it. I'm the kind of person that absolutely has to be in control of a situation, so that is probably my worst nightmare. Heebie jeebies, meet Paine. *shiver*

20. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I had no idea what the ancient evil was that the Deep Gnomes were talking about, but I knew it had to be a demon. I just didn't expect it to be a Tanar'ri (a True Tanar'ri, if I'm correct). Fight that Balor had to be one of the hardest fights. When it first came out I was like "Oh sh**! What are these peaceful folk doing releasing Balors?!"

The second freakiest fight has to be Thaxll'ssillvia in the Umar Hills - Temple Ruins. It wasn't quite as scary as it could have been as it was more of me being frightened in anticipation of the battle (I almost wet myself when I met Chahopek in Icewind Dale II, as it was my first meeting, ever, with a Black Dragon). He wasn't as hard as he could have been but that attack where he shot my party across the room and took the souls of all my summons was trippy.

The Elemental Lich was also scary. It's not very fun when a creature like that comes out and you say "This should be easy." then he casts Time Stop and rips you a new one.

EDIT: I just remembered who Neb was. That guy was indeed creepy, and his head is also creepy.

The Tanner himself wasn't that scary, well not until you went downstairs and found all the mutilated crap down there. That was spooky.

Bodhi's portrait was the only scary thing about her. I liked her voice. Being killed by a dragon's flame breath isn't what would scare me, it would be being eaten by a dragon that would scare me, a la the man on the toilet in Jurassic Park.

[ August 17, 2004, 20:34: Message edited by: Cryo Mantis ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.