1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SARS

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Malaqai, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

2. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not really, I have asthma, and I live in Singapore, and not a trace of SARS in me.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

What's funny is that Japan has like, 0.0 cases of SARS. And there is more than one reason this could be the case.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

EJ, what are you hinting at? I've heard S/F stories wherein viruses were tailored to hit certain enthnicities -- is that what you're saying, or am I a whacko?

I would bet that any pre-existing condition (like asthma) would complicate matters if you caught SARS, but whether said condition makes you more susceptable to the disease is another question.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ooops. I remember clearly, that in one part of the "Dark Angel" series, someone developped a virus which was made only to kill chinese people. But that is just science fiction rubbish (rubbish, but nice to look at) and the "goal" of people, who get unlimited goverment supplies.

Sidenote: I am still not over it. Why did they axe Dark Angel. That chick just ruled.

Well, as I understand it, SARS spread from China to Hong-Kong-Singapore-Candada. Seems to me, like SARS is following the old traderoutes of the British-Empire. I bet, there is still a lot of travel along this old routes going on. Familiy ties, a place someone heard of and want to live there....

And then the time it broke out. Some countries had more time to prepare for it (resp. keep borders safe) than others.

And there's a rumour going around, that more Chinese die than others. Now, this is pure prejudice. But I think that's because the Chinese health system is heavely hindered by the Chinese bureaucracy. And may not be very well prepared for a disease in the first place.

So, as long nothing else is sure. It is just a fully normal disease which spreads fully normal. A disease always spreads with some random factor. Deseases come and go. That's life. Even if we are living in the 21th century, that's does not mean, that we are immun to the ways of nature.

Anything else is just speculation, fantasy and too many Dark Angel series watched. And if it's form a labaratory, I am sure that the X-men will save us. :D . If you can't trust Patrick Stewart. Whom can you trust ?

6. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, the Koreans aren't being hit either. And in Canada, a lot of the people who have contracted SARS are Chinese.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.