1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarevok - game crashes after teleporting to Thieve's den

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Finn, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Finn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi,

please help. After the fight in the Duchal Palace I am successfully teleported to the Thieve's den. But when I try to follow Sarevok into the cellars the games crashes. i.e. when I inser CD 4. This also happens if I try to leave the den by the front door i.e. the game crashes after I insert CD 5.

I know I am nrealy at the end and this is sooo frustrating. Is it a known bug or do I just have a duff TOSC or BG CD?

Please help; I have BGII but cannot bear to start it until I have at least finished BG (and probably TOSC too).

cheers,
    Finn

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hm, first time I hear of it, so I guess it's not an area-specific bug.
    Give me some more details to work with... Did you make a full install, how does the game crash, does any message show?

3. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

When I experienced similar problems I just dusted all the CD's off...it worked. If it's a bug go back to an older save and enter the duchal palace once again...

4. Finn Gems: 1/31

Hi Guys,

thanks for taking up the thread. I have a full install of BG and subsequently of TOSC (patched to 5512.exe). When I insert CD 4 the load screen appears but the load bar is static and after a minute the program crashes ro Windows with a standard Run Time error meeages in BGmain2.exe. (I gather this is a common error message).

I actually have two full copies of BG and TOSC. I had similar problems with my original BG/TOSC cds in Chapter 3 and went off in a huff to buy IWD last November, but saw a double pack of BG/TOSC on sale for UKĀ£5 so bought it and that sorted the problem out - this makes me think the problem may lie with my CDs but as I have two copies of each CD and the problem still occurs, I wondered if it was a known bug...sounds like it's not so will get out the duster and clean the CDs.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hm. Which system are you running the games on?

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My Baldurs gate requires only 1 CD. Is yours a pirate copy?don't worry, i aint a police man whose gonna nab you. Just didn't realise that Baldurs gate rquired 5 CDs.

Anyway, HAHAHAHA! u can't complete the game! NAHNAHNAHNAHNAH! Heehee! Sorry couldn't help it!

7. Finn Gems: 1/31

Hi guys,

OK the system is pretty standard. Win 98 on a PII 400 with 128Mb, DVD, Sonic2 Vortex sound card and VooDoo3 PCI card.

Re 5 CDs, it's actually 6! 5 CDs for BG and a sixth for TOSC. I guess you must have a DVD version of BG as that's the only way they could get the game onto a single disk - certainly would save a lot of bloody disk swapping, but I've not seen a DVD version in the UK.

Typically, two weeks after buying BG2 (comes in UK on 4 CDs) they released a DVD version of that in the UK.

Don't worry, I'm finishing the game even if I have to post the whole lot back to Virgin Interactive (UK distributers for Interplay)in London for a new pack. Although from past experience those buggers are not likely to reposnd until about the time BG4 is released...

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Well try deleting everything but the savegames and reinstalling the game first.
    Also try to make a full install, so that way you won't need to swap CDs all the time. That might help. I know it did for me...

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] And Tal knows best! ... I'm serious he does! Yeah i got the DVD version...cool! good luck anyway on *sniggers* completing BG! ;)

10. damnedifiknow Gems: 1/31

I've gotten the BGmain2.exe crash also but only occasionally when I exit the game when I do not have the TOTSC CD in. I'm curious if there is a patch or an update to that exec file. I'll look into it.

11. Sol'Kanar Guest

When I went to candlekeep something odd happened. Both my damn clerics stayed in the Flaming Fist compound. This is extremely annoying because I am without healing spells for the remainder of the game this way.

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31

One thing that pisses me off is when you try to attack something and your people dont while the critter is killing you 1hp by 1hp! How annoying! And how do you cast spells like Gorian? He casts mega fast! While i have to wait a sec or 2 to cast another after casting one!

13. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] unfortunately you can't 'full install' BG, unless you have a DVD copy it's swapping frenzy time...that really bugs me...I think it's one of the improvements to BG2 that I really like :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.