1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarah Palin stepping down as Governor

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Montresor, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The RNC can't control her, that's part of the problem. They learned that the hard way during the campaign.

I for one hope she stays out of the spotlight, so her kids can now have some semblance of a normal childhood. I just think there's no evidence to support this. She's too enamored with the spotlight to stay away from it for long.

Let's give it 3 months. If she can manage to keep a low profile for that long, I'll eat my words. I think that's long enough to prove she's "doing it for the family." My money's on some kind of stunt before then; whether it's a surprise candidacy announcement or embarking on a new punditry career. I still don't think there's a big scandal, but you never know with her.

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

His official campaign, sure. Anyone outside, not so much - and somewhere, you have to draw the line. Would you in all honesty hold McCain or Obama responsible for everything anyone posted on the Free Republic or Democratic Underground? Or for everything ever said by Bill'O, Ann Coulter, Olbermann or Maddow, and countless less known and more radical people? What would they do, get them on the phone and tell them "See, Keith/Bill, please don't do so, I know I'm not the one paying you or in charge of your network, but could you do it for me?" Because if so, then McCain - and Sarah Palin, who as a VP also would get heard if she said something like that - have to answer for a whole lot of s..t they did during the campaign as well, imo much more than Obama. From what I saw it was his campaign that seemed less prone to use offensive and inflammatory rhetoric.

Anyway, it does not matter all that much now. The elections ended some 7 months ago, and during that time coverage of Mrs. Palin has decreased significantly after her loss. I think that if there were no big scandals concerning her she would not be talked about much more than other governors - perhaps she would be among the more prominent ones. Hey, she did ran as a VP in the last election, that tends to enlarge one's public profile. I am somewhat puzzled by the whole lame duck argument anyway. If she cares for the agenda she is pushing, I think she can do a bit more in charge - no matter how hamstrung - than as a regular Mrs Palin, especially if a Democrat picks up the seat.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Death Rabbit likes this.
  3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No, no, no, I like Snook's approach. It means we can hold GWB responsible for every completely insane thing everyone from Falwell to Limbaugh said from 2000-2008.

You're the best, Snook.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks, and isn't that what was always done? Think back to John Kerry being swiftboated. Was there a single Kerry supporter who didn't blame Bush for what they were doing? It was a very effective approach. Bush stayed silent about it, this way he could pretend he wasn't involved. I'm sure there were multiple people from either the campagin or the RNC who were helping out. If Bush had wanted it to stop it would have stopped.

I seem to recall in the last election there was something that McCain said was off limits, but that could be me getting older :D

Falwell and Limbaugh are interesting points. While technically neither one is political (religious and entertainment) they both depend on politics a lot. I'm not sure Rush would do what anyone tells him to do as he marches to his own drum (there are plenty of Republicans he doesn't like and McCain is one of them). Falwell would buckle.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Followed by:

OK, but there is a big difference here. In the case of the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, they were a private political action committee. They're called 538s IIRC, and you're right in the sense that since they are private, if the candidates request that they stop, they can stop. Since it can be reasonably asserted that 538s are supporters of a particular candidate, this is entirely reasonable.

However, you then extend that generalization to the entire news media. The news media are not 538s, and are not supporters of a particular candidate (even the ones that provide endorsements - it doesn't mean that everyone working for a particular media outlet votes for the person that gets endorsed). The man in charge may well be in charge of what his supporters do, but to suggest that the entire media apparatus are part of Obama's supporters is absurd.

If you want a fair comparison, give me an example of a 538 that bashed either HRC or Palin.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Palin held the big media photo op yesterday out in the middle-of-nowhere. It was perfect: Lots of shots of her and Todd fishing, holding the kids, Sarah managing the fishing gear and looking all outdoorsy, with the Alaskian scenery as a great back-drop. It seems she is carrying on with the same strategy of selling herself as the "smalltown values" all-around mom and sportswoman, who just happens to want to be prez. As brilliant as that narrative is, it still will only work for the minority of voters, those who believe that being able to hunt and fish are real qualifications for being prez. And believe me, there are some of those out there.

The fun part was that the media was complaining that she's been "out of touch" for a whole 3 days (really only 2, but who's counting?). They just eat this stuff up.

http://www.people.com/people/news/category/0,,personsTax:SarahPalin,00.html

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    No, it's awesome. When marty talks about 5 million conservatives being more important than 10 million liberals, we get to blame Bush for that too. What about this arrangement disagrees with you?

Actually, it's even better than that; insofar as marty supports Palin, we can blame her for everything he says. Seriously, why aren't you down with this?

Did you read the email exchange between McCain's campaign manager and Palin on the subject of her husband's membership in the crazy party? That was gold.

LKD likes this.
  8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The problem is I'm not totally convinced that this will turn out to be a minority. Plus, Palin showed us last year she's perfectly capable of using the same tactics that worked twice for GWB. Her "hockey mom" image is only part of her election tactics.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...so Chandos, your saying she'll easily take Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Texas. :)

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, not 5 million...he said just 5. The scale of the vacuity is important for context. ;)

LKD likes this.
  11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Actually, I was talking about the people criticising Todd Palin for being a stay-at-home dad, even though that's a dream of the femenist movement today. He got called things like Dead-Beat-Todd for no reason whatsoever. I swear, things that would normally not have even made it to the tabloids made national news with the Palins.

As for Palin in politics, I think she's pretty much shot at this point. She may be able to become Mayor of some small town somewhere, but I doubt she'll even get a nomination for Pres.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Just because it can be used for my personal benefit to score debate points in no way affects the absurdity of the statement.

You know, that brings up an interesting point. While McCain was repeatedly linked and compared to Bush during the campaign, it was actually Palin that was more Bush-like than McCain. It was Palin that was the All-American. It was Palin that was the religious conservative. It was Palin that seemed uninformed about a number of issues and (important for the Bush comparison) seemed to wear this ignorance almost as a badge of honor.

The big problem with that is Bush does not have a positive legacy, and there is little I can see happening in the next three years that will improve that legacy. Being like Bush is not something that is going to win you many voters in 2012.

Um... like Wasilla?

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I wouldn't worry -- her track record will scare away swing voters in droves. And whatever the "scandal"(?) is that is hanging over her head, well, if she makes a run for it, all her opponents have to do is say "hey, the scandal might come back! Do we want a President bailing mid term?"

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Sure, but I think you're missing some perspective. If calling Todd Palin "Dead-beat Todd" is viciousness on the part of the media at large (as opposed to just a few a-holes), then what would you call Michelle Obama being called a "Gorilla," and Obama's "Bitter Half," and a huge racist who supposedly had a "whitey!" tape out there, and that she and her husband shared a "terrorist fist-jab," and references to a lynching party - all directed at Michelle Obama, all in the mainstream media (particularly Fox News), all for no reason whatsoever (and those are just off the top of my head). Where do those rank of the media viciousness scale?

If being called a "Deadbeat Dad" is the worst he got, Todd Palin got off light.

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ssssoo... does this mean DR won't be eating any words, then? I so wanted to see a picture of this.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    DR, I didn't see that from anyone but Fox (and the Drudge Report, who linked to Fox), and they did get slammed for it.

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    You mustn't have been watching CNN....

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I really like this piece by Maureen Dowd. It hits the nail on the head when it comes to Palin's constant "victimization" of herself:

Now that's funny. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/opinion/08dowd.html?_r=1

---------- Added 0 hours, 53 minutes and 47 seconds later... ----------

Here are the pix: "Hockey Moms Gone Wild."

http://www.runnersworld.com/photo/sarahpalin/slide7.html

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Ouch

Gist of the piece is that Palin was in over her head, knew it, and used the 'people so mean' thing as a face-saving way to head for greener pastures. Which in this case means cashing in on her celebrity.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Absolutely - she can make a lot more in appearance fees than she can as governor. Which is good, because I understand that she has accumulated a significant amount of personal legal debt.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.