1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Salvatore compared to Tolkien

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Classic!

I haven't read Salvatore. I assume his writing is on par with Eddings or Brooks. I love Tolkien and haven't seen anything in the fantasy books realm that comes close to what he wrote.
    My main reason for not reading Salvatore? Too many books, too little time. I am currently trying to catch up on SF classics. Hugo and Nebula winners as well as other books from classic writers, like Heinlein, Zelazny, Bradbury, and Asimov. I doubt that I will ever catch up to the point where I will read Salvatore.

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Fordasthar:
    Interesting. It's the first time I heard about this "age-elitism". Maybe I am subject to this, but then, maybe not. But how can you judge me? Do you have other examples from me acting like that? I'm only member of this board for a few weeks, so I doubt you "caught" me on other occasions.

I think you failed to understand me. I didn't asked icingdeath for his/her age not to undermine his/her opinion. I'm sorry if I made a mistake. But I can speak from experience that books written like these are favored by people a certain age. It is an explanation among others. I can accept that. But to do so, I have to know. So I asked.

About my weak ego: I've met enough people younger than me who were/are mentally more than a match to me, so I can judge my mental capabilities well enough. I may have a high opinion of my literal taste (and musical taste, for that matter), but I can accept the tastes of other people. But there are some things which insult my taste, as everyone. In that case, I will stand up to my opinion.
    If I'm overdoing it, sorry. I will try to restrain myself.

But, frankly, you don't have to insult me. And letting your education hang out this way(I know that the finnish eductional system is better than the german :D ) isn't putting your arguments on strong grounds. ;)
    Please stay polite and don't look your nose down on other people if you are accusing them to do exactly that. :rolleyes:

[ March 24, 2003, 14:56: Message edited by: Fabius Maximus ]

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Fabius Maximus

I took you for the typical all too familiar case of someone who... well I think I already explained that one. Seems I was at least somewhat mistaken. The provoking nature of my text was there for the same reason.

So granted, age is an issue in this. Obviously Vinny Pooh books are generally read by people considerably younger than for example the pre-mentioned Lord of the Rings. This comparison was a lousy one, though, because the case is hardly the same with Salvatore and Tolkien. Certainly the action-packed nature of Salvatore's books makes it more appealing to younger audience. But you made it sound -at least to my ears- as if it was a lack of maturity and intelligence that lead people to read Salvatore.

As you yourself said:
    Does that not imply just a little bit demeaning attitude towards Salvatore readers? Is that not the same sort of "looking down your nose" attitude you just blamed me of? If you're going to apologize, do it straight instead of trying to circle around your own words, please. As far as my education goes, it's hardly high enough to grant me any considerable advantage. For my insults, I do apologize.

And, welcome to the boards.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It is the same, indeed. Oh, one thing more I forgot to mention. Fantasy is a young genre in itself and in my estimate, the majority of its audience is young(er) as well. This might be another of the reasons that lead Fabius Maximus to believe that older people could not possibly enjoy Salvatore. I know dozens of young people who've read Salvatore, but only one or two older people. (Who have still liked his writing, just for the record.)

Btw, that

comment in reference to my liking some of Salvatore's books is about as stupid as suggesting that anyone out of puberty who still plays computer games is childish or immature. Even my grandparents have dropped that misplaced mentality since they got a computer themselves. :rolleyes:

[ March 20, 2003, 21:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Perhaps we might be able to salvage the topic a little?

I actually didn't mind the first Salvatore Book that I read, The Legacy. I'd rate it about 6.5 on the imaginary "Tolkien" scale, that I started off with.

I even managed to convince one of my friends who is an ardently "anti-Drizzt" person to give it a go and he agreed.

So each to his own, and let's discuss what is good about books, so people like me can learn, and perhaps find something good to read.

Currently moving on to other authors...

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

@Tal: That one was a joke, for heaven's sake! What do you think the graemlin was for?

You both misunderstood my sentence that Foradasthar quoted. I was speaking about favorites, not about liking the books at all. And it was an assumption. If you prove me the contrary, I'd be happy to change my view.

I probably have to take private lessons in english. Everybody seems to misunderstand me... :( :D

@Khazraj: Sorry about going OT.

[ March 21, 2003, 14:37: Message edited by: Fabius Maximus ]

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tolkien's masterpiece can appeal to any age group. Proof of this is my own experience. I first read LOTR when, guess this, I was 13. At that age, the best parts for me were of course the action scenes. Gandalf vs. the Balrog, the Battle of the Pelennor fields, etc. etc.

As I get older, I find that my understanding and appreciation of the books evolves. The parts that involve me deeply include the strange friendship that evolves between Frodo and Gollum (and how Frodo becomes Gollum's only hope for redepmtion), the tensions between Denethor and Gandalf + Aragorn, the tragedy of Saruman's fall from grace (which Frodo observes with a piteous yet shrewd eye), Faramir's perecptiveness of both himself and his own Gondorian society, Treebeard's astute observations on the state of the world, etc. LOTR is as profound a statement as there is on mortal existence, yet it also succeeds marvelously at its other job, entertaining the reader. It has something to offer for everyone if you make the effort to keep up.

I haven't gone through the Salvatore books yet, but I will say this:

No one will ever equal Tolkien as far as I'm concerned. But any fantasy novel, if its well done and has a vision, can appeal to anybody from any age group.

This correlation between maturity and the appeal of the fantasy genre is just plain erroneous.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Tal, Beren.... I wholeheartedly agree. A good book is ageless and timeless. And I must say this ...

Foradasthar -- Since when? Please explain to me what the cut-off age is for enjoying action novels?? I am no teenager, but hardly in the rocking chair yet, and I enjoy books of ALL types. And, who knows, maybe if I WAS in a rocking chair, all decrepit and bent with age, I might enjoy action books even more!....oh, but wait...only after I took my medications....wouldn't want to get too excited. :rolleyes:

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Fabius. I don't remember you going OT. Take it easy mein freund. ;)

Beren. You mention Frodo observing the fall of Saruman. I don't remember this bit... (I don't remember lots of bits...)

Timeless and age restrictionless = well written book.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Saruman: "I have done much damage that you will find hard to undo in your lives. It brings me great pleasure to think of that and set it against my own injuries."

Frodo: "If that is what you take pleasure in, then I pity you. I fear it will be a pleasure of memory only. Go Saruman. Leave now, by the speediest way."

After Saruman attempted unsuccessfully to murder Frodo, which was stopped by Frodo's mithril shirt, and Sam in turn was going to kill Saruman:
    "No Sam, do not kill him even now, for he has not hurt me. In any event, I do not wish him slain in this evil mood. He was great once. Of a kind so noble that we should dare not raise our hand against him. But he is fallen now. His cure is beyond us. Still, I would spare him in the hopes that he may find it."

After Wormtongue kills Saruman and is in turn shot down:
    "Frodo looked upon the body (Saruman's) with pity and horror, for it seemed to him that long years of death were suddenly revealed in it, as the skin of the face withered as though it were a hideous skull. Frodo wrapped the grey cloak over it, and turned away."

I doubt that it is word-for-word verbatim, but those are the key passages that reveal how Frodo understood the tragedy of it all far better than Saruman did himself.

11. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

It's right at the end, how could I forget that bit... :rolleyes:

Thankx Beren

12. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@ Fabius: I'm only 13, but have read all of the Drizzt books, read LOTR 3 times, read all of Robert Jordan, read the Margeret Wies and Tracy Hickman Dragonlance books, and so on. I think that Salatores books are fast paced, interesting, and have great Chara development. Have you read any of Drizzt's philosophy's? I can't see how you think that Salvatore's books are horrible. I am not bragging(about the books I have read), I am just stating the truth.

[ April 07, 2003, 23:24: Message edited by: Icingdeath45 ]

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Please don't say you speak the truth. It makes me grating my teeth. You can just state your truth aka your opinion. Nobody owns the truth.

I was only speaking about the Darkelf- and Icewinddale-trilogies, because I read these (in that order) and gave up on Salvatore after finishing them.

MfG

14. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

His books get bettr as they go on, after IWD at least.

15. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I disagree... I thought IWD was the best, particularly Streams of Silver and the Halfling's Gem. I just finished the Legacy books and Seige of Darkness left me cold (got so sick of being in the Underdark), but Passage of Dawn rocked -- all the sea battles and haunted islands! :D

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You're right spellbound, especially that spell batlle with robillard and one of the Harpell's.

Though I must say I loved 'Servant of the Shard' best, cause of all the intrigue and of course the best characters leading in the book: Entreri and Jarlaxle.

17. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Jarlaxle being revealed as [snip] adds a whole new level to the intrigue of his character.

Agreeing with Spellbound, I think the Icewind Dale Trilogy was just fantastic. Now, I will admit it was faster paced and the things Drizzt gets away with are just insane...but that is what makes a character legendary, no? And this IS fantasy, after all.
    Salvatore paints a great picture in his writings. He doesn't necessarily have as deep a plot as some other writers, but his characters are well fleshed-out. And no one I've read has a better talent for writing combat scenes.
    Now, in no way am I condemning Tolkien, goodness no! He was one of the fathers of what we see as our modern fantasy fiction. Salvatore is simply one of his many "sons" that puts his own twist on what is important in a story and how the tales should be told.

[Massive spoiler removed. I hope I was the only one spoiled by it. :rolleyes: ] -Tal

[ April 16, 2003, 20:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

QuickSilver you may want to delete that major spoiler that pretty much ruins the whole book :rolleyes:

19. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I saw somewhere in this topic that Tolkien's writing style is epic. I couldn't agree more. And that's the style I like. Salvatore's style is different. I like it too but not as much as Tolkien's. I believe that when Salvatore describes a battle he goes into MUCH details, which is boring(let alone the fact that I don't understand a thing(maybe the translator is to blame)), while Tolkien describes a battle in such a way that fascinates and impresses me. Moreover, I've read about fifteen Salvatore's books and MANY MANY other books (fantasy or not) but only Tolkien's books finally moved me. And tolkien made up his own world and languages and stuff while Salvatore made up only his characters and nothing else.
    I'd give a 10 to Tolkien and a 7 to Salvatore.
    :)
    Damn, now I want to read again The Lord of the Rings but I lend it to my friends. That's ok, Silmarillion will suffice.

[ April 20, 2003, 10:57: Message edited by: Alexander the Great ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.