1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saddam wanted into exile, but Bush rather wanted his head

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You keep bringing up this nonsense about Saddam being evil and that's somehow my reasoning behind everything that happened and that the US is blameless. I nor anybody else on this thread has said anything close to that.

You also imply it was only the US imposing sanctions on Iraq at that time. Again not true.

*shrug* Then he should not have tried his hand at the invasion of Kuwait. That was the chance he took and he had to suffer the consequences of his actions. And again, it was not the US imposing the sanctions and terms on Iraq it was the UN.

But now we're just rehashing for the umpteenth time the same 6 year old arguments. I don't know why I even bother, or really why you do either. There is going to be no convincing one to the other because we fundamentally disagree.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    BTA,
    the driving forces behind the sanctions regime were the US and the UK, that is the US. Are you aware that the sanctions regime, as harsh as it was, was absolutely unprecedented in international law, harsher even than the Versaille treaty imposed on Germany after WW-I? That they did drive it through the formal process at the UN is one thing, that they then vetoed any attempt at the UN to end or even ease the sanctions regime when everybody else was appalled and wanted it to end for humanitarian reasons is the other. To argue that initially there were others joining in face of that is a little bit silly in my view. While certainly the US and the UK weren't alone in the beginning, they certainly were in the end, for years.

My point about Saddam being evil is mockery, plain and simple, because with any other interpretation I cannot plausibly explain to my wondering eyes the insistence on Saddam being too untrustworthy to even consider him a negotiating partner, so that the US is off the hook with insisting on regime change. Too easy, intellectually lazy. My inner cynic reads it as an excuse for not having to say that he is simply universally despised. So what? It is one thing to hold the view Saddam deserved to be hanged. Along the line: It's bad, but it hits the right guy. He had it coming. No need to look too close. Absolved. No, not really. That view has no relevance to the question whether or not regime change as a policy goal was mandated towards Iraq. Indeed that point is where we fundamentally disagree. That would only hold water if it was about anti-Saddam policies and not anti-Iraq policies.

One cannot address reactions to a policy without looking at the policy causing them. Yes, Iraq indeed violated the NPT, at least in part for the reasons I lined out earlier. That was dealt with by the inspections regime, which by the way worked remarkably well (it's no accident that those WMD couldn't be found - they were destroyed). You really think that Iraq leaving the NPT would have caused US policy to shift one inch? Iraq's games with the inspection regime were to a large extent a reaction on US policies behind the sanctions regime. I don't know if I get you right, but in that light it appears odd to point out he didn't play by unfair rules imposed on him, and hold it against him, to go on suggesting that this is ok, say, because Saddam deserved it? It's bad, but it hits the right guy? He had it coming? No need to look too close? Absolved? That then would be confused thinking. The mess with Saddam and Iraq is a direct consequence of one and a half decade of bipartisan US regime change policies towards Iraq that went terribly wrong, probably as a result of the built in flaw of regime change as a policy goal that I mentioned in my last post. I think the case of Iraq is perfectly well suited as a study object in this regard.

[ October 04, 2007, 01:43: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What was the driving force matters little; the resolutions and the sanctions were passed by the UN Security Council. It is hardly silly to argue that the Security Council passed the resolutions and sanctions because it shows that is is not just the US who thought they were appropriate as you like to claim. That the sanctions were especially harsh and whether the US then vetoed attempts to end the sanctions or not (which I don't recall) is immaterial because the easiest way for Saddam to end the sanctions was to comply with the UN resolutions.

I guess you take the tact that Saddam can only be deemed untrustworthy by unreasonable people because you have no logical leg to stand on. As stated, Saddam was demonstrably untrustworthy on numerous occasions. Trust doesn't just spring from nowhere; it has to be earned. The easiest way for Saddam to have earned some trust? Comply with the UN resolutions. I suppose you'd tell anyone councelling Charlie Brown not to trust Lucy when she offers to hold the football that they are being unreasonable.

Expecting a US policy shift in response to a withdrawal from the NPT is also immaterial. Saddam signed up to the NPT and by breaking it in secret rather than publicly withdrawing from it showed his untrustworthiness.

The inspection regime and the sanction regime were UN policies, not US policies, and who says they were unfair? You? Pardon me if I discount your opinion in favor of the world body.

The mess with Iraq and Saddam was a direct result of his invasion of Kuwait and his subsequent defiance of the world body.

[ October 04, 2007, 04:03: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Talking of the UN, the UN asked the US and coalition countries (including my own country, I am sad to say) to NOT invade Iraq in 2003, as the UN was at the time conducting investigations in Iraq.

Saddam signed the NPT more or less at the point of a gun after the first Gulf war. A contract which one or more parties enter under force is not legally binding, and you can't really blame Saddam if he tried to build up a defense in case he was invaded. As it turned out, he was invaded - and he didn't even have the WMD that were the supposed reason for the invasion.

(And, as I expected at the time of the invasion, when the WMD failed to materialize, the critics were met with the rhetoric argument, "But Saddam is gone. Surely you don't want him back, now do you?")

The US and coalition invaded Iraq because Iraq was "doable", it was an obvious target, it had oil, and a cause could be made up based on (non-existing) Weapons of Mass Destruction, (non-existing) liasons with terrorists and the fact that Saddam was a brutal dictator (which makes me wonder how soon we will have to "liberate" North Korea, Burma, Iran and any other country which we find do not live up to our expectations of "democracy" and "liberty").

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Careful what you want - Iran might be closer to "liberation" than you think. Mind you, there are imo a few states that are way more worthy of attention than it, even if we only go by the criterium of "liberty."

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    No he didn't; Iraq was a signatory to the NPT since '69 IIRC.

The only thing I would mildly dispute is the non-existing WMD angle. Iraq had WMD programs including a nuclear one that they had hidden from the inspectors for many years that was found in '91. It was not unreasonable IMO to think that they could have done it again in 12 years. Obviously that turned out not the be the case.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Codified for Oil

8. Ragusa

Media:
    BTA,
    It is not immaterial. The US never were satisfied with what Iraq s offered as proof. That was a matter of policy, rather than of Saddam's compliance or lack thereof. It was not so much a question of lack of cooperation but of the nature of the question asked. Iraqi compliance is utterly irrelevant to the question whether sanctions were to be lifted or not. The answer was no, period. You assume the US did play fair with Iraq and that he could ever be compliant. By design, he could not.

Irrespective of the blathering in the US, Saddam eventually did come clean, the inspectors were largely vindicated in their assessment that Saddam was disarmed and indeed – surprise, surprise – no WMD were found. But that couldn't satisfy ever new US accusations: "Ok, you could prove that program A ended, but what about program X? There is no program X. You're lying ..." etc. pp. There is in my view something as a frivolous accusation. Many of the claims made by the US about alleged Iraqi secret programs, such as those drones to spray germs over US cities, were pure fantasy. There was nothing ever found. So the US were just irrationally paranoid? I do not think so. There is a much simpler explanation.

At the very least since Bush took office, what the US did was to accuse Saddam of hiding something and then demanding him to counter that accusation. The catch - it is impossible to prove a negative, that is, to prove you have nothing. Because US diplomats aren't stupid, I presume they were well aware of that and that this was by design. It is pretty clear to me that the sole idea of the accusing Iraq of not cooperating offered a convenient excuse to maintain the sanctions, which were the instrument of choice to achieve regime change, and after 911, to justify the war of choice to topple Saddam. The US knew from Saddam's nephew Hussein Kamal that Irad actually had disarmed. They didn't care. I guess the idea behind still accusing Iraq of non compliance for good measure was the view that it wouldn't do much harm, as it hit the right guy, might accelerate regime change, and hey, maybe it's even true. Win-win!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Again, you're talking about the US when it was the UN's actions and resolutions. So, you're saying that by design, the UN passed resolutions that it knew Iraq could not live up to. I disagree, but as this is going nowhere and I'm talking to a brick wall (as I'm sure you think as well of me), I will end here and say no more.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Thesis: Ragusa hates America.
    Antithesis: BTA hates the rest of the world.
    Synthesis: Let's nuke everyone. Yes, including ourselves.

11. Ragusa

Media:
    AMaster, I love you too.

BTA,
    regime change in Iraq has been official US policy – under Clinton, with sanctions as the tool of choice – and under Bush – with war after 911 being the tool of choice. An excerpt of the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998:
    This isn't just some political babbling but an act of law. It can be summed up as representing the consensus view in US foreign policy cirles, Ds & Rs alike. That Bush eventually embraced the lunatic idea of invading Iraq to aventually achieve that elusive goal of regime change and use that as a means to transform the entire region is only the last silly consequence of a dysfunctional policy goal that has existed well before he took office. It gives testimony to how rigid the bipartisan US consensus, once formed, actually stays true to orthodoxy as far as foreign policy is concerned.

The implications of that bill are very simple: In case Saddam would have gotten a clean bill of health, getting his disarmament testified, he would be back in business and Iraqi sovereignty restored. That inevitable result of full compliance and an official policy goal of regime change don't add up. It is ridiculous to assume that Saddam has nobody to blame but himself because he could have complied. Him complying was incompatible with the policy goal of regime change; restoration of Iraqi sovereignty would have in fact rather strengthened his position domestically and made completely impossible that goal. It was thus unacceptable. I think it is plausible that the US went to some length to ensure that wouldn't happen. Saddam's record and image certainly made it easier for them to do that. The myth of Saddam's non-compliance serves that purpose quite well even today.

That said, when I appear wildly heretical as I apparently do I am not giving Saddam the benefit of a doubt - I merely deny it to the US. I try to be sober.

[ October 08, 2007, 22:51: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.