1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kitrax, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    when ever any force uses artillery, cruise missiles and mass bombardment theyre creating similar situations

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I was not exactly talking about that kind of collateral damage. There is a difference between the collateral damage created by a missile and the collateral damage created by a bunch of death squads terrorizing and destroying communities. The motives and the magnitude of the damage is quite different.

3. Shoshino

Media:
    i disagree, a death squad is merely a less advanced cruise missile, theyre both designed to do the same, kill and terrorise.. only the cost is completely different- the US and UK can afford to use them and stand on a moral high ground... and arab nations cannot and come off looking like senseless killers

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I like to quote two people who I agree very much with.

First, Richard Sale:
    And then, Pat Lang
    Nothing to add.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Argohir:

No, they can't. Thing is, no matter how many and what atrocities one has committed, one's still a human being and to be treated as such. Kind of a tough test for those with moral high ground, but moral high ground is not achieved through just being the guy who retaliates, not the one that strikes first. There's more to it.

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Josef Mengele.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Still human.

8. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Quite disturbing, all the way around. Someone took a cellphone video of the hanging. It's online (I saw it on google video).

I doubt there's any way of executing someone that isn't fundamentally thuggish, but this seems particularly bad. Especially given that one of the guards chants "Moqtada Moqtada Moqtada" before the execution, and some of the guards chant Shia slogans afterward: the whole thing will probably come off as sectarian.

Here's a transcript from the cellphone vid (translation courtesy healingiraq.blogspot.com)

Of course, Bush calling this a 'milestone' won't help for those who want to call this an American-sponsored execution.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Not to mention the obvious shia reference in this show. It will not be lost on the Sunni.

Mr. Lang has a good point when he calls the execution 'AQ' style. It looks like one of those videos by Al Zwahiri.

I find it tell-tale whenever I see masked men acting in government functions, like in that video. I regularly read the remarkable US publication "The Advisor", the Good News from the Green Zone. The bottom line is always: 'it's improving' and 'the government takes tough action'. If that is so, why do they have to blur the faces of those working at the American or Iraqi Government's side, or photograph them turned away? Clearly, because the security situation in Iraq is improving.

That is one thing, and so, while the US tells us and themselves everything's swell, and that the sovereign Iraqi national government is getting stronger by the day, and that the sovereign Iraqi national government has veto rights on US actions and is to be informed about US actions, something like that happens: On 27 December 2006, one of Sadr's aides is shot and killed in an early morning raid on his home in Nijaf. The raiding force had 8 American advisers and 35 Iraqi soldiers. That's almost 1 American for every 4 Iraqis. How much advice do they need?
    So, while the Iaqis nominally have "provincial control", and although the US spokesperson claims the raid was Iraqi planned and executed (right, the advisors were probably driving the trucks :rolleyes: ), Maliki claims he had no previous knowledge of the raid. Maliki openly demanded an explanation, but untill now he is waiting. Probably for security reasons.

It sais nothing less than that the US has Iraqi troops outside the Iraqi government's chain of command. And that is evidently because they don't trust the Iraqi government. At the same time they also don't seem to trust their Iraqis enough to let them off the leash and hunt without tight US supervision. That means, if the US want to get things done their way, they have to run the show themselves.

Saddam was in US custody, and the Iraqis didn't get their hands on him. For the execution he was hauled from his prison on the US base at Baghdad airport, or, more likely, he was executed there because transporting him was too risky. But we are to believe that his execution now was merely the action of the sovereign Iraqi government. Right.

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

No, no. The most horrifying deeds are all easily within the limits of human capacity. The history of our species is dripping blood for a reason. The thing is in all societies there are limitations for what is acceptable. What can be done to one's own kind - and in fewer cases to other creatures as well. The utopia civilization.

You cannot murder or torture from within that sphere of civilization. No matter what. Invariably you will have left it and joined those to whom you unjustifiably feel morally superior. The boundaries are breached, all you pretend to uphold will have become hollow, you end up bankrupt. It is very simple.

[ December 31, 2006, 19:24: Message edited by: Dendri ]

11. Shoshino

Media:
    humans are the worst creatures on this planet, humans commit cruel deeds for pleasure whereas any other species does it for instinct

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Demonstrably untrue.

13. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

That video was horrible. This whole execution is made for provocation. They didn't even let him finish his prayer. And that "Muqtada, Muqtada, Muqtada" voices will be a "milestone" for the civil war in Iraq.

14. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I agree with those who point out that it is not possible to take oneself out of the sphere of humanity by one's actions.

If you allow that argument you present would-be murderers, whether official or not, whether mass or individual, with a justification for murder that is all too elastic.

Yes, how comforting if we could put people like Mengele into the not-human category. But we can't, not without sacrificing the values that allow us to condemn his actions.

BTW re my previous post concerning the TV report that his body was to be withheld from burial - now the report is that his body was buried in Tikrit, his hometown.

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I preface my remarks with this:
    I am a birthright citizen of the USA so I therefore still have the legal right to criticize the USA.

I question the legality of the decision. If the court was untainted it would be the right of the country to decide the accused fate but.....

As to whether hanging or the death penalty is right that is a moral decision and not a legal one.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    But it's a Shia government...what other decision would one expect? The US knew when it handed Saddam over for trial in Iraq, with an installed Shia government (an elected government, btw), what the outcome would be, as did everyone else in the world. The outcome is legal, but hardly impartial.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    i question the legality of those elections

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    And the reason is...?

19. Shoshino

Media:
    oh come on, dont you think its convenient that the elected government happens to have the US's full blessing, and happens to have been mostly assembled by the US?

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    No, you come on. First, people went and voted, who had never cast a ballot in their lives. Second, they did so under threats to themselves and their families by those who opposed any kind of representative, or constitutional government. Sorry, if the outcome did not suit you, but the population of Iraq is largely Shia, which was tough if you were a Sunni.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.