1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kitrax, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Maybe something funny will happen, like after twenty seconds of hanging, once the lack of oxygen causes his muscles to relax, he will rip a HUGE fart.

That would be classic.

2. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Dunno, this victory of justice needs more substance to it. Something to round things up... worthy of the occasion.

Perhaps they wont let him hit the bathroom before execution.

3. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

4. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hanging's too good. Oh, you did all this stuff? Okay, we're going to give you a relatively painless death and make you into a symbol of martyrdom for those that still follow you!

I'm opposed to the death penalty because it's meaningless to the person who's been executed. I mean, they're DEAD. They aren't going to go "Well, gee, I've definitely learned my lesson, yes sir!" since their brain isn't actually functional anymore.

Now, you see, they should have given him something WORSE than death. Maybe plaster the walls of his cell with photographs of all the corpses of people who have died thanks to him, and leave him alone in there with no human contact for about 22 hours a day. Whilst piping in white noise. And the light of his cell will be constantly flickering.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

6. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

@Clixby

Maybe it's the good ol' 1984-style death you're looking for. You know, torture them to the point of delirium, doublethinking their minds to the point where they are praising your name. After all that, then you could off 'em. After all, as George Orwell made it clear, it's awful hard to be a martyr when you no long have a cause.

It's too bad that we care so much what other people think, really.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The RCC weighted in on the execution of Saddam with this:

I tend to agree with this, but in some cases justice cannot be resisted. Too many tyrants of the world get off too easily, mostly because no one cares; even the infamous Pol Pot died of natural causes (old age). Rev. Jessie Jackson referred to Saddam as a "war trophy" and I tend to agree with that as well. Nevertheless, I still believe Saddam got what he desevered. We can argue the finer points of this, but I think we would agree that he was guilty of what he was accused of, tried, convicted and he paid the price for that guilt.

Another point of consideration is that the US is creating the illusion that it was justified for its invasion of Iraq with this execution - that's not the complete picture, but a piece of it. I wonder how this would have come off if Saddam would have had the same trial in an international court, such as something sponsered by the UN. I have a feeling the US government would never have approved of that situation, because it would have had less influence on the final outcome. At least that's my feeling.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's sick. I don't agree with the death penalty for anyone so I can't agree this is justice. This is just vengeance. This is supposed to be a new country trying to sort out a stable democracy and they're already practicing vengeance. Great start! Off to a flier there lads :lol: .

I strongly agree with Chandos' 2nd paragraph above.

9. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It is not justice. Saddam didn't deserve to be executed by that country. You know which one I am talking about.

Doing that is relatively easy for Saddam. But you can't apply it to some other leaders because the size of the cell should be about 1 square mile.

10. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
  11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That Saddam deserved what he got is beside the point. The new guard in the all new democratic (didn't they have an election or not?), the death-squad and electric-drills-on-kneecaps/ skull types aren't any better and restrained in their brutality only by their limited means. Saddam just happened to have a larger arsenal and utilised it.

There seems to be some faith in the myth that Saddam's execution will be a healing experience for Iraq and that his rule is the cause of the sectarian violence that has torn Iraq apart.

People who put faith in this delusion will find themselves disappointed. So better forget about it quickly.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    He should have used the south park defense at his trial.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    When Bush was governor of Texas we often referred to him as the "hanging governor." Clearing out Death Row was touted as one of his "great accomplishments" as our governor.

Bush referred to Saddam's hanging as a "milestone for Iraq." Well yes, I'm sure it certainly made him feel right at home again....

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Requiem aeternam...

No one deserves to be hanged.

He's no martyr.

But no one deserves to be hanged.

15. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Indeed, state-sponsored murder is still murder. It is extraordinarily foolish to think that killing this man will bring about a cessation of killing in his country. Vengeance is the only reason for doing this, and look where vengeance is getting Iraq.

This brutal notion of how to heal a nation is a poignant contrast with the presidency of Gerald Ford, who is being remembered this week.

I heard on one news report (CNN, I think, who ran video of the last moments of Hussein's life) that it is unclear whether his family will even receive his corpse for burial.

16. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Isn't it a great claim? Humans don't deserve to be hanged, but your actions can take you out of the limits of humanity.

17. lwelyk Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

EDIT: Wow I was a dick when I was 14

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Saddam did kill the Kurds for their irredentism. He did so ruthlessly. He killed Shia for much the same reason with the same ruthlessness. And he did the same to the cockier among his Sunni bretheren. But he killed people for what they did - threatening his regime. That is, the usual Iraqi kept a low profile and was usually left unharmed.

If you find Saddam's brutality appaling, don't forget it's the way Iraqis do politics since well before he took power. The coup against the Iraqi King on July 14, 1958 was the most savage ever in the entire middle east. In the carnage not even the pets of the royal household were spared. And for weeks after death squads roamed the country killing whoever they considered suspect royalists.

Today's players in Iraq set off a bomb in a neighbourhood, or raid a bus and execute all male sunni/ shia to kill as many people as possible for what they are - shias, sunnis, whatever. That is an entirely different quality of conflict, a total one that spares no one. Keeping a low profile doesn't help here.

The funny thing is that many more Americans think it was a good idea to rid Iraq of Saddam than Iraqis (alone for the obvious reason of size of the respective populations) while being inherently much less informed than those who actually had to endure it. According to polls, 90% of Iraqis today say they're worse off than before invasion. In the essence they say that compared to today's civil war Saddam's rule was tolerable.

Of course that will trigger the usual 'I-don't-trust-polls' type of response. Anyway, accepting that they are likely better informed about their lives then the US audience, their take is worth consideration.

19. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I agree that. He was really guilty and is responsible for lots of deaths. But he will be a martyr now. He should have been judged after U.S. forces leave Iraq but even then the court wouldn't be completely unbiased. So the better solution would be an international court.

I'm sure that's true. Iraq was a relatively modern country in middle east.

Baghdad was a city of culture. There was a great library but it is pillaged now. Americans didn't only kill people but destroyed their culture too. Baghdad didn't see such barbarism since Mongol invasion. People can reproduce but some books that are destroyed are gone forever. Especially if they have seen many centuries and they don't have copies.

No, certainly not. That's why I want Bush to die the most horrible and painful way possible.

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think your judgement is way too nice to the guy. Killing a bunch of rebels is one thing but when you cause collateral damage that wipes out entire villages where you have say twenty threatening targets, you are committing genocide and not simply crushing a rebellion. Also I don't think that genocide can ever be defended with earlier genocides caused by others.

That being said I still disagree with the death penalty and would have had the guy in an internationally accepted court instead. This is usually the fate of overthrown tyrants so it's not a big surprise.

I do find it absolutely apalling how Bush called the execution of Saddam a milestone for Iraq. I suppose it would be too much to ask for him to explain what good comes out of this. In my opinion this will change nothing, contribute nothing and certainly won't make the violence go away. Just another casualty of this war to be added to the ever expanding pool of deaths.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.