1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kitrax, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

True, many of the Nazi officers sentenced to death in Nurnberg trials and other courts often asked to be killed by a firing squad but as far as I know their requests were denied and they were hanged.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Was this verdict truly a surprise to anyone? The people who hated Hussein were judging him. The influence of the US really did not matter when Saddam was removed from power and people he had spend years discriminating, torturing and killing came into power. There was never any doubt he would be found guilty by his enemies and sentenced to death. He was not shipped to the Hague because the Iraqi people had the first crack at him (they could have declined and sent him, but knew he would not face the death penalty).

Chev: Do you really believe ANY military has some kind of ethics test to weed out the deviants? Do you really think there is some litmus test to find such villians? You never find the unethical until they commit a crime -- and you cannot discriminate against them until they have shown their true colors (even then, sometimes it is difficult to weed them out). To say ANY military force can identify such people and prevent these things is simply not realistic. We see this in every military action including those involving UN peacekeepers. What kind of supervision would you recommend? Realize that whatever you decide on needs to be done for every soldier, from every country, in every campaign. Good luck.

Although I am with you on turning these types of criminals over to the locals for their crimes. You commit a crime worthy of the death penalty in country X, you die in country X.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Thanks for the link, BTA. Quick googling supports the excerpt, as well (though it appears that the intifada may account for Israel's higher death rate pre-invasion; haven't started really crunching numbers yet).

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    thats not completely true, attempted regicide was punished by being hung from the castle tower

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

While I am usually and in theory opposed to the death penalty - I just can't bring myself to care that Saddam is going to be executed...

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I still find it amusing that Detroit awarded him the 'Key to the city'.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I appears that Saddam will be hanged in just a few weeks. It sucks to be the loser. To the victors go the spoils of war, I suppose.

Those are strange words for a man who spent most of his political career plotting the demise of others in much the same fashion in which he now finds himself (including the planned demise of the elder Bush). Nevertheless they are all snakes of the same color, and in the end, they devour each other. It's only a shame that they take so many of the innocent with them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16368242/

8. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Now by writing that he deserved being hanged, if he is the actual writer.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yay! Today there is open civil war between the Shia and the Sunni. The coming so-called 'surge' will start the Battle of Baghdad and result in large swaths of the city being leveled and countless civilians being caught in the fire. That will be Stalingrad at the Tigris, hell on earth. But let's rejoice ...
    :banana: Hussah! Finally! Saddam is walking dead! Woo-Hoo! :banana:

If my gut feeling serves me well his hanging will probably coincide with the beginning of 'surge' ...

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hanging. Death penalty. Bleh.

Even with his last breath Hussein establishes barbarism among the Iraqis.

11. Argohir Gems: 10/31

How does he do it? I can't understand

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @T2Bruno:

Apart from Swiss Guard, no, I can't name any. But there are psychological tests for whether the person should be given weapons. They won't give you weapons before making sure you won't empty the load on your squadmates.

They already have to fill questionnaires about stuff. I think they do something like that for obedience and teamwork, no? Could do the same for how they would treat civilians and prisoners. Besides, you can just require army candidates already to have had examinations for sexual health issues, for instance. Or for violence fetish. Or authority issues. Or power issues. Or aggression control issues.

I think there's too much tolerance of abuse between the higher ranks and even in the media sometimes. Raping is called "having sex" so long as the targets are Afghanis, Iraqis or some other "inferior" people.

Besides, I would really hate to jump to conclusions in this specific matter, but I still tend to think American army has a bigger ratio of such cases than most civilised armies.

@Shoshino:

Wow, that was a relatively merciful king! :p ;)

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

By being executed I imagine. Most Europeans probably consider death penalty to be more or less barbaric these days.

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jap.

Argohir, Hussein's death sentence - that's what I meant. Like most here I do not agree with the death penalty.

Hussein, rather then being turned into a case of indisputable justice, thereby reinforcing Iraq's struggle to reclaim the semblance of a civil/humane society, will be put to death. Putting people to death, in my book, is hardly helping with the betterment of a society, neither indicating that ethical standards needed for advance were devised.
    And as this must be read as exacting revenge, I wonder how that will bring about any good in a country torn by violence. Cant help but think of it as an unwholesome inspiration.
    It is the last disservice of his person to Iraq.

Then again it wont matter much for these unfortunate people, seeing that incompetents have assumed control of their fate, with hundreds paying for it each month.

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Better to kill the bastard now so that there'll be no more cause for voilence in his name at least. Sure, there'll probably be voilence for a month or two but it'll die down as those who support Saddam make themselves known by comitting violent acts and then themselves are eventually killed.

Should have offed the bastard sooner, let the **** hit the fan and be done with it.

16. Argohir Gems: 10/31

Yes Dendri, I understand your point but he can do nothing about it.

And I wonder, if US is so eager to hang ex-dictators, why didn't they hang Pinochet while he was still alive? (It was a rhetorical one) Maybe they couldn't find time from protecting him.

@Abomination: As we started to kill violence-triggering bastards, why should we stop? Let's continue by hanging... :idea: maybe Bush?

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I understand your point. But you have to consider that the victors of any war determine the outcome. In this case we have a loser (not that he isn't getting what he deserves), but as the "victor" of sorts, since the war is not over, Bush gets to determine the outcome, and Saddam gets the booby prize. But imagine if the crime was for many thousands of innocents, instead of 148....

As I remarked, they are all snakes of the same color. Despite the fact that there are many leaders operating in the world today as foul as Saddam, ask yourself if justice is being served by his execution. The answer, of course, is a resounding -- yes.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

From what I have read the trial was hardly fair. Of course Saddam deserves to be hanged, but I think after 2008 would be better (when Bush is out).

19. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think the execution is going to be as underwhelming as the trial. I wonder if they are going to televise it here in America...? Probably not. It will be sort of creepy to watch...but significant?...nah. Just another talking point.

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Duh, LNT.
    • tall guy - "The pig is dead! The war in Iraq was justified ... because ... we just hung Saddam! We achieved 2,3% of our original war plan, which was to see Saddam dead. I say that is a relative success!"
    • wussy weasel - "Yeah, right. Before the invasion he was alive, and now he's dead."
    • tall guy - "Dodge that, you weenies! What do you as a liberal make of the crazy talk by the Saddamite fringe Democrats who dare bash our Commander in Chief in a time of war, aren't they aiding the enemy?"
    • wussy weasel - "Sure they are, Bill! The Democrats are being totally irresponsible. Saddam is still worse than Bush."
    • tall guy - "Damn right ... traitors, you're on notice!"
    I 'm feeling clairvoyant today. Expect to hear that on Faux News the day Saddam hangs.

As far as the GOP is concerned, Saddam's hanging is basically US domestic policy. They'll add it to their list of talking points on the proven wedge issue 'death penalty'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.