1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Russian Mail Order Brides

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... anyone know where I could get a catalogue of mail order grooms? I could use a house-slave...

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Blackhawk, your comment on being a Mormon and so being able to order as many as you'd like has been noted -- I wouldn't open any packages for the next few weeks if I were you :evil:

Speaking as a man who is now more than likely to be single again, I would not mind corresponding with a woman from Russia or anyplace for that matter -- I feel I have a lot to offer and if she did too and we liked each other, who cares how we met?

4. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Aye, but if you bought your wife from another country instead of it just being that you happened to meet her there, don't you think that you'd spend the rest of your marriage wondering quietly if any display of affection on her part was supposed to be part of the package that you paid for? I actually don't see any of the men I know *personally* being overly excited about that kind of prospect.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I never saw the so called "mail order bride" as being a purchase -- simply a way for women to meet men in a part of the world they like better. Yes, I supppose a finders fee is paid, but that's no different in principle than the fees some people pay on Lavalife or at introduction agencies.

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

... and guys who are lawyers or MBAs or whatever spend a lot of time worrying that women only want them for their paycheque. Just like women worry that men only like them for their looks. I don't think arranged marriages - whether arranged through a catalogue or by parents - have any less chance of finding trust, love and joy together than more modern marriages.

Yes, my husband is an American citizen and has an MBA. No, I didn't marry him for either his citizenship or his income. :)

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sprite, I think your comparision to arranged traditional marriage doesn't fit to good. In an arranged traditional marriage there some other factors which make it last. Either you pay for a bride or you get paid for a bride. It's economical need mixed with common sense. And the couple is co-dependent. The mail-bride is in a dependend, not in a co-dependent situation, in my opinion.

If you pay for a bride, you pay the family of the bride for a financial asset the family loses. A compensation for two working hands which go from one family to the next. And the husband is dependend on the additional work of the woman and the future work of the children she'll have. So, that's a good reason to stick together, because she's needed to work on the fields, which garantees the economical survival.

The other variant is, that the family of the bride pays the family of the husband. Now, the husband has a good reason to not give the bride the boot after only 2 years or so, because that would mean he had to pay the dowry back. Small burden which makes divorce financial unbearable.

Mail-brides, I think, aren't in comparable circumstances. What about their legal status ? If they get divorced, isn't their allowance to stay in the country automaticly revoked ?

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @Death Rabbit: Bubeleh, the term is yenta...

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

My understanding is that if a mail bride gets divorced within a certain time frame, she has to go back to her country of origin, but after that time, she is a full fledged citizen regardless of whether she stays with the man or not.

Again, as a purchase, the idea is horrid -- women are not objects. But as a method of meeting potential spouses, it's not different, in my mind, than a local dating service.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Let me guess... what does he drive? ;)

That's why chevvy doesn't wave his wallet around too much, doesn't tell what he's studying and keeps quiet about grades, places, rewards and other numbers. Not that it helps all that much, but still... :rolleyes: Be wise and do the same. We have to learn from mistakes, but nothing says you can't learn from mine.

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Grades? What planet do you live on?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.