1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tassadar, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yep, those Aussie's played really well. If they continue like that they do deserve to win.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No problem! :D :cool:

The French being dirty! :rolleyes: . The tackles on Robinson and Wilkinson were so blatantly obvious and disgusting. And their try was never a try :rolleyes:

English rugby, played well! But we can still do much better than that :cool:

Should be a good final, lets hope England finally hit form. But tbh, I don't care if we win playing ugly rugby as long as we win ;)

I think we'll have to be on the top of our game to beat Australia. Very good side. On home turf. And in form.

Could go either way :confused:

[ November 16, 2003, 12:28: Message edited by: Morsmordre ]

3. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

England v. France: good game in very trying conditions. 24 points scored off the boot perhaps fulfills people's predictions about England not playing a running game, but you just can't play a running game in the pouring rain. While there were a few poor French performances, there were no poor English ones. I really felt for Michalak; it must be terrible when things just don't go right, particularly in such a big game. BTW, the French try WAS a try: when you have a decision that could go either way, you give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    We can play a running game if needs be. We have the quality.

The best way to beat that French side however, was to hoof it upfield at the best opportunity, to gain territory and force errors from that dodgy French back line.

Betson IMO should have been red carded for a series of infringements for which he is warned a few times for.

A different game might need to be played against Australia.. depends on the conditions.

But I think the same tactic may be employed again as England will have the superior forward line. Coupled with the best No. 10 in the world. Confirmed by that match winning performance.

Good team performance all around. Bring it on Aussie! :D

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That wasn't rugby! Rugby involves try scoring! Not just drop kicking! France should have won if it weren't for the English's cheap tactics. :rolleyes:

And what was this about the strongest foward line? How many tries did they score again?

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

if france wanted to win it so badly, they needed discipline and to spread the ball around

not easy to do in wet weather - so like i predicted, england would win if the weather was piss poor, which it was

the good thing about rugby is you can win it in so many different ways - so england won this match, but i am sure they will be sorted out when they come across try-happy opposition in dry conditions - no one has tested them yet

7. Rotku

I'm hoping the Aussies win. Show those British how proper rugby is played!

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    LoL... We play to win.

You don't get extra points for style you know! :shake:

What we played was good ol' English territorial rugby. When you get the ball in your own half, hoof it up and force it into their half. You might get errors from their back line, you might get dodgy kicks back... they may try and run with and run straight into yopur forwards. All in all, you get the advantage.

We are not here to impress, we are here to win rugby matches, and thats what we have done.

Also, I suggest you dont think we cant play flair rugby :shake: our running game is as strong as anyones on our day. Cohen and Robinson on the wing? You give them space and they will punish you.

And...

:shake: This isn't football, the forwards aren't there to score :) they are there to gain control of the game, make the big hits and keep possession for your team. Like we do best.

[EDIT: And did anyone see Robinson and Dallagio crying when the English National Anthem came on? THATS patriotism!! I was doing the Exact same thing! GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN! :D me and all my mates were singing at the top of oour voices :D . I would really love England to win, but even if we lose , it's been a great World Cup and a great experience. Congratulations to ALL the teams :D ]

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

sorry, morsmordre - will have to disagree with england's "flair"

because we haven't seen it yet - not against quality opposition anyway - give *any* wing space to move and they will score tries

flair rugby will always be down south, percentage rugby will always be up north - although wales seemed to buck that trend, much to everyone's delight

free flowing rugby is what will draw the crowds - and what it was always about, boring rugby is not going to win anyone over to the sport

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Is that an admission of defeat already tassadar? :shake:

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

absolutely not, but we never got our shot at england in the world cup :)

so a bit disappointed

12. Rotku

Heh, we could have shown them how to play rugby properly. Oh well, hopefully Australia can do the job for us. And there's always next year.

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

All Australia have to do is play a disiplined game, dedicate only 2 players to the rucks and run at wilkinson constantly when he gets the ball. Prevent the kicks. Keep the English in their half and the game is ours.

14. Rotku

Or break his leg in the first half. That way England would have no chance of scoring ;)

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Then we'd bring Paul Grayson on. An experienced fly half who is underrated and doesn't miss many kicks ;)

Oh, and you'd be down a guy ;)

16. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For all you "Boring England" antipodians:

Remember the last game in Australia? Remember as far back as 21 June?

Remember the score? 14 - 25 if you need reminding.

Remember which side scored 3 tries to 1? No guesses required here I think. Australias try came in the 78th minute when the contest was over.

The team with the greatest number of points will be world champions at the end of tomorrow, doesn't make a blind bit of difference how the points are scored, and if you think the Australians are going to kick for the corners and go for tries when the posts are in range you are completely deluded. The Australians will kick for goal whenever they are in range.

Still, I have to say congratulations on the performance last weekend against the All Blacks. I sincerely hope they are not able to emulate it tomorrow ;)

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks for backing me up Viking! :thumb:

I was beginning to feel out numbered by all these quaking antipodians ;) :hahaerr:

18. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

19. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO England! England!

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    SWING LOOOOOOOW

SWEEEEEEEEEET CHAAARR-I-O-OT

COMIN' FOR TO CARRRRY ME HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME
    :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.