1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tassadar, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@ hacken slash
    rugby is easy

try (ie - touchdown) = 5 points
    conversion (kick at goal after a try) = 2 points
    penalty kick at goal = 3 points
    field goal (dropkick) = 3points

15 players a side, 8 in the forwards (big guys) and 7 in the backs (little guys... mostly)

forwards do all the dirty work, tackle, win ball, and generally get stuck in (kinda like blockers)

backs are flashy and look good (cf quarterbacks, receivers, that sort of thing)

in short, forwards win rugby matches, backs decide by how much

no forward passes

i suggest you watch the new zealand vs australia semi-final (you must have it on TV somewhere), where the match will be more free-flowing, and then the france vs england game, where defence and kicking will dictate

these teams can be considered the top four in the world, although australia have sort of lost it, south africa and wales were once powerhouses, and ireland and argentina are not quite there yet (but could be in the future)
    - watch some matches, they're good for your health

@ morsmodre
    france will beat england (but only just!) because their defensive patterns will not succeed against a very mobile side that have great forwards - england play an umbrella defense where the outside backs close in and force the opposition into centre field where their forwards deal with them; wales exposed this by spreading the ball wide, but france have the better personnel to do this

there are also question marks over the fitness levels of english pack - they are all over 30 and will be run ragged if the opposition do not play it tight (which they won't)

and finally, france are very unpredictable, and unpredictability is very difficult to counter

if england are to win, they will need some wet weather - soggy pitch, slippery ball - england excel in the trenches and are used to grinding out the hard matches

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Have to go with New Zealand winning, both in heart and mind. If its any consolation I went to school with Joe Rokococo (sp on the kococo?) and was in his athletics team. For his age he was the 2nd fastest 100m in the country when he was 18 :) and was a decent 400m runner too.

@Mosmorde NZ are not on home turf. The entire cup is held in Australia :p However they are far more used to the climate than other countries.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Oh, yet another New Zealander. :wave:

I would have to agree with that. They only way those English tend to win is through their penalties and drop kicks. Not true rugby. And as to having the best foward line in the world :rolleyes: ..Just wait until we face you in the finals!

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Good point. England seem to think 'biggest' = 'best' when it comes to forwards. Sure they are hard to move but they are also hard to move :) Doubt they'll have the pace to keep up with NZ's fast game.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

But then no one currently does, do they now.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have to concede that your argument is a good one Tassadar.

However, did our forwards look slow and ragged when we beat both Aussie and NZ a few months ago?... on your soil? In fact, the only game we have lost all year, was indeed against the French. We only lost marginally however and played our second string against France's elite.

Also, Steve Thompson, Ben Kay and Phil Vickery have amazing pace for an pack that averages about 18/19 stone. We won't be pushed around in the scrum by anyone. That counts. We have the best captain and the best kicker available. The only winger on par with Robinson and Cohen imo, is Rocokoko. But he's a temperamental performer.

We have a good, strong team thats hard to beat. End of :)

But i think home turf will be the decider, NZ would have my money ^^ England VS NZ final :)

I have the greatest respect for all the Rugbying nations still in the cup and imo, any team could win it on their day. But NZ have hit from at the right time :)

*runs down the bookies ')*

7. Rotku

New Zealand is not on home turf :rolleyes:
    How many times do you people have to be told that? Yes, we might be closer to home than you people from the north are, but the Australians still the the crowd and the climate on their side.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Oh come off it... its next door, lol

9. Rotku

If England was playing in France would you call that a home game? I think not! And France is closer to England than New Zealand is to Australia. :p

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Or hear an American call Canada 'home-turf'. I'm certain he'd rather burn his own flag than say that.

11. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

They're only little in comparison to the forwards. I bumped into Rupert Moon in the pub a while ago and they guy is built like a brick privy.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

ah well, at least it wasn't jonah :eek:

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Australia have home soil advantage, and have had since the Bledisloe cup to pick up their game. Granted, they haven't been playing as they should be recently, but they still have it in them. All they need to do is choose the right forward pack and get a good fullback in. Thats it. Put Mat Rogers into Outside Centre and put Latham in the fullback. Pull Wendell off the wing and put Sterling Mortlock in and we have a halfway decent team. It'll happen. Eventually.

14. Rotku

Eventually? Hmmm, maybe sometime next year if you are luckey, but lets come back to the present time.

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    If you'd care to look here and here Dalveen, you'll find out that rugby was invented by the English and nobody knows where football originated :)

16. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

So, the final is England vs. New Zealand, but played in Australia?

At least ONE of the teams I picked is still in it :cool: .

Glad I didn't put any money on it, though. I wonder if the final will be carried on cable to watch in the US. Anyone know? Like to see the game if I can. Sounds more interesting than football (by that I mean what American's call soccer).

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Very well played Australia.

Surprised more than a little.

Now its just for England to slaughter the garlic munching, frog mutilaters to set up a good final.

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

best performance i have ever seen aussie put in

worst performance i have ever seen us put in
    very poor tactics, reuban thorne has got to go - lack of captaincy, and a liability as a player

19. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

To decipher the cryptic words of those above... AUSTRALIA WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I should put another couple of exclamation marks there, but I won't. I think all of you people on the previous page owe me an aplogy. I was THE ONLY ONE who was supporting the Aussies.

GO THE WALLABIES!!!!!!!

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    I really struggle to see France beating England tomorrow.

And i'd much rather be playing Aussie in the final and NZ :) I think we owe them a beer ;)

I can't see past England winning the World Cup now. Lets hope I dont end up with egg on my face :rolleyes: .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.