1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RotK...Official "I've seen it" thread...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Hacken Slash, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It was perfect in my opinion other than the leaving out of the Rangers. That would've just been cool.

The battle for Minas Tirith was by far the best battle scene in a movie I've ever seen.

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I saw it on Saturday (now it's Tuesday).
    I am VERY dissapointed...

The film was great -one of the best films I've ever seen, if not the best- but the audience was... GRRRRR! (*^&*$%^$^& :mad: :flaming: :almostmad:

They were clapping, shouting, whistling and talking all the time. I did not enjoy the film at all.

I'll go see it again next Saturday.

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Really great film that will probably be alot better once the EE DVD version is out (just like with the other two). There are only a few things I didn't like about it:

1) Aragorn charging at the Black Gates, really didn't like that scene
    2) The special effects s****d in my opinion.

Before someone flays me alive let me explain point 2. You could (or at least I could) SEE the computer graphics (reason that made the street scene in spiderman s*** and made I liked daredevil less then I could have). The reason why I mention this as a really bad point was that this wasn't the case in the other two movies, although they also used alot of computer animations. By computer animations I'm not counting Smeagol/Gollum since that was marvelous. I do mean the great battles especially with the mumaks and the charge at the black gate were you saw that a bluescreen was used for the background.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the trilogy and I think the second bad point will bother me less on a smaller screen (meaning at home with the EE edition).

I agree with BOC about Legolas = Xena.

I also must agree with Jaguar, that line of "you-know-who" is the best of the entire trilogy except for the one where Gandalf clings to the broken bridge in Moria

4. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

EEE!!! That... was.... AWESOME! The epic cinematic experience of the millennium. I'm sad its over though....

they say they cut an hour or so out, and I can't wait until the extended DVD comes! The only thing is, I hope it shows what happens to Gimli and Legolas. There was nothing in the theater-version. I know what happened in the book, but it needs to be in the movie.

5. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No, Valkyrie... they didn't cut one hour but two and a half.
    The initial film was 6 hours but they had to cut many scenes to bring it down to 3-1/2 hours.

Now I'm a little pissed with Jackson because he, sort of, humiliated *again* the dwarf, Gimli. Legolas did all these amazing acrobatics, Aragorn and Theoden had also very good scenes, Gandalf too. Frodo was the Ringbearer, Sam was his loyal companion. And so on and so forth. But what about Gimli? What did he do? Nothing... In TTT he fell off the horse, he was talking about their race and Eowyn was laughing. And once again the dwarves are the humiliated and useless guys.

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] The film was great.

The audience needed a good smiting. They were snickering, cheering, and jeering all the while.

Bah. I shall have to watch it again.

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Heh, that was me. Every time Frodo made the "I'm so "revolted/scared/tired" face, I said to the people I was with: "I ate what?"

Ok, I made it no secret that I didn't like the first two movies and I was trying hard not to go to this one, but my girlfriend wanted to see it... Not a purist mind you, I read the books about 15 years ago and don't remember the details so well, I just think the first movie was "ok" and the Two Towers was simply one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

That being said, I was blown away by RotK, no I don't think it was the best movie I've ever seen, some of you need to calm down... sheesh. For a while I thought it might be the best action movie I've seen though, the Riders of Rohans charge through the orcs was great, and their subsequent charge on the big elephants, just visually incredible. Shelob, incredible, the Witch-King/Eowyn shoot out at high noon, incredible, some crazy guy getting caught on fire and jumping off the roof, incredible. All around, I dug it.

The Sam/Frodo/Gollum parts were sort of a downer but they needed to be in there, I just think Jackson got the worst actors imaginable. I just hated them, all three of them.

One big question though, in the book, did Aragorn lead an army of ghosts on Gondor? I don't remember that at all... it was enetertaining enough, but I was puzzled by it.

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

He led an army of ghosts, but they only cleared out Osgiliath, IIRC, and didn't go into Minas Tirith itself.

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Osgiliath was already a settled issue by then.

Aragorn led the ghosts to prevent the attack by the Corsairs of Umbar to the south of Minas Tirith. He then recruited men from the southern fiefs of Gondor, and led them to Minas Tirith on those same ships which the Corsairs were supposed to be using. This provided the last turning point in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

10. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I saw it last night. I was amazed. The scene at the top of the secret stair with sam and frodo was very emotional. Peter Jackson managed to nail the entire book. Outstanding.

I did notice areas where they are going to fling in scenes for the Extended DVD. Like the sitting men, Piki statues. You all know what I mean. They are shown in the movie, and there is a space there for them to be explained. The bit where Sam charges through Shelob's lair etc. It should make for a great finished movie.

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31

The whole trilogy was great. I think Tolkien would have approved. But, oh dear, I do miss everything that was cut out. In particular, I think that not emphasising how hard it would be for a "mortal man" to kill the lord of the Nazgul, and then cutting out the Houses of Healing scenes, were serious mistakes. If ROTK needed to be two movies to get it all in, then it should have been two movies. For one thing, the kingsfoil scene is the one in which Aragorn's kingship is made real, and for another thing, it transforms Eowyn from grieving niece and broken-hearted lover to a great military hero happy with life and in love. Eowyn is an extremely important character, especially for female Tolkien fans, and cutting out so much was painful. It reduced her to a plot device for Aragorn, just one of the women he could choose from. If they had to cut something out, we could do with fewer of Arwen's weeping scenes. If there was time to include Sam's wedding, surely there was time for a laugh like a ring of steel and, "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him." Not to mention, "Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart, Eowyn! But I do not offer you my pity. For you are a lady high and valiant and have yourself won renown that shall not be forgotten; and you are a lady beautiful, I deem, beyond even the words of the Elven-tongue to tell. And I love you."

Also, I was hoping that when Faramir was dragged back by his horse that his armour would somehow have been torn off. But you can't have everything.

12. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

In a newspaper called "Het Laatste Nieuws" they published an article concerning Tolkien the day RotK came out. In it they said that originally Tolkien said to the original publisher of LotR that he thought the books should not be released and afterwards he was maddened at what positive attention his books got from the readers. The conclusion of the article was that Tolkien would not approve the films to be made in the first place, whether they be good or not.

[ January 02, 2004, 10:16: Message edited by: Meatdog ]

13. Cyrano Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

But Tolkien's Family did approve. They had complete script approval on all three movies, and made a lot of suggestions

14. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Yes, but they weren't interested in what Tolkien found of his own books. They were only interested in how the books were translated onto the big screen.

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Saw it yesterday :D WOOOOOOOOOOT! Great Ass Kickin Movie! My only niggling complaint was that Frodo after getting his finger bitten off then still attacks gollum and they fall together. This annoyed me because I wanted to see gollum dancing and chanting and falling off but not caring because 'I've got the precious' etc.

Other points: Anyone else think that the one eyed orc leader guy (from the taking of osgilliath) looked like a pig? When he said 'the time of men is over, the time of... is beginning' i was expecting him to say pigs not orcs.

There were only two maybe three points where the CGI was really obvious, the most noticeable when treebeard is staning next to isengard, the tower is really blurry and doesn't look right.

I doubt this. Tolkien was the biggest purest of the lot. I heard, from a friend, that he saw a stage production of part of the Lotr and spent the entire time complaining about the lines being changed.

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Wow.
    I...can't descibe it, really.
    It's...just awesome. And amazing.
    Wow. Again.

But Rohirrim tactics sucked. "Giant elephants! What shall we do?!" "Charge them!"

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Those were some big elephants. I agree with Deathmage. Charging those things was possibly not the wisest tactic.

Anyway, I was blown away by some of those fight scenes. The siege engines, catapults, big uglies, the utter chaos. Extremely well done. The scenes with the undead were another big plus. It almost felt like Baldur's Gate. The cheesy ending does not take away too much from the film.

One word review: Magnificent.

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Yeah for a people who're considered the top notch of mounted combatants in Middle Earth, their tactics were pretty sucky.

I expected them to go all Xwing vs ATST on those Oliphaunts. ;) Then again, I expected Neo and Smith to toss Kamehamehas at eachother in the final battle as well, so :p

19. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] One other thing: When I saw that piglike orcish leader, I half-expected Duke Nukem to appear and snarl: " Nobody steals our chicks. And lives."

:D :D :p

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Best. Movie. Ever.

... Well, not quite. I think the EE will count as a completely different movie :grin:

Every time some really obvious line from the books was added... *sighs*

'I'm glad you're here with me Samwise Gamgee. Here at the end of all things.'

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.