1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RotK...Official "I've seen it" thread...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Hacken Slash, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Any truth to the rumour that Hacken Slash has a short cameo where he tries to convince Gollum to trade in his rags for a brand new SP thong?

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bel - Yes, that too.

Dude I'm gonna smack you.

4. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Is the Mouth of Sauron in it?

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, not a mouth...

Hint: The big "red eye" symbolizes something.
    (see Richard Simmons spoiler above)

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sir Bel: No. They don't talk at the black gate, but it's ... awesome ;)

Death Rabbit: Ah yes, I must've missed that part then while diving into my backpack for more food and drinks ;)

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Just seen it, and it was great :) One of the best movies I've ever seen...

Spoiler!
    |
    |
    |
    |
    The missing parts about Saruman was kinda annoying. THe battle in THe Shire was ledt out, that wasn't exactly great, but the movie rocks :D

8. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] No talking at the black gate?!?!?!? What about the returning of 'someone's' gear? How did they do that? If you don't want to post a spoiler...PM it to me!

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Spoilerific! :)

There is no returning someone's gear. They walk up to the black gate, which then opens, revealing the bulk of sauron's army. The small free people's army is surrounded, and Aragorn then bravely charges in the direction of Sauron. Frodo tosses in the ring, and Baraddur collapses, Sauron's spirit dissipates. Mordor's army flees.

It's beautiful, don't worry ;)

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

[​IMG] I have just returned from the cinema and my feelings can be summarized in two words. Total dissapointment. Jackson has done a load of uneccesery changes in the story. The only part of the filmt,that it was realy great, was the charge of the Riders.

11. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] :toofar: Oooooo, the alternate Black Gate battle (With Sauron at the gates?!?!?!?!?!?!?) Does not sound good...

*Breathes a little, trying to remember the movies are not the books*

12. BOC

Sir Bel, I didn't meant just this battle. Why did he send the army of the dead to Gondor? Why instead of the Danudain he send Elrod to tell Aragorn about the path of the dead? Why did he make King of Rohan an ass (even for a moment) when he said that he doesn't want to help Gondor? Since when Legolas became an acrobat (I felt that I was watching "Xena" when I saw Legolas doing all these jumps on the elephant)? Were all these changes necessery? Sure, a movie is not a book but, in my opinion, when a movie is based on a book, it has to be as close to the book as possible and Jackson has failed to this.

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] The Dunedain were probably excluded because they would have to be explained...It's easier to bring in someone you already 'know' hence, Elrond. That also answers why the Mouth of Sauron was excluded...He'd need to be explained with a background.

The movies are made for mass appeal. Not necessarily the fans. After thinking about it, I understand why it was done...But I don't hafta like it.

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Which is precisely why I will never ever read a book before seeing a movie - it ruins it. Come on guys - it was a great movie! Jackson was faithful enough about the core story that a few little details and embelishments here and there don't hurt anything. The written page doesn't always translate well into the screen, no matter how good the director is. I'm sure whatever gaps that left the hard-core book fans disappointed will be, for the most part, taken care of in the DVD. Jackson did a phenominal job, especially when compared to the way most directors absolutely butcher literary adaptations.

Don't set your expectations so high that they kill the experience.

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] What about Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth? Is he in it?

16. BOC

I guess that a phrase like "my felllow rangers from the north have come" would be more that enough explanation for the people who haven't read the book and a similar approach applies to most of the cases where background information was needed.

You are right but if you have read the book ten years before the release of the movie, you don't have this option.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I guess I'm lucky - I read the books over 25 years ago and so the details are kind of vague. Short of making Gollum the hero and having him get romantically involved with Sam, they could have changed almost anything and I probably wouldn't have noticed.

18. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I know all the fans would like to see an exact adaptation of the books, but if this was required to turn a literary work into a movie you'd never see LoTR on the big screen (or any other book for that matter). Do realize that Peter Jackson and crew are just as much artists as Tolkein was. They want to tell the story of LoTR, not just turn Tolkein's writing into dialoge.
    As for my previous post, I was completely disapointed with Elijah Wood's performance during the climax, it just could have been sooo much better. Still, the entire movie was able to make up for this shortcoming, wasn't as good as Fellowship, but still a must-see.

19. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

[​IMG] AARRRGGHH!!!!!!

I am so sick of people who get hung up on "the book said this" and "the book said that." Please try to understand the difference between a movie and a book, and the inherent challenges to bringing a literary work to the screen.

I can say it no better than Neill Cumpton's recent review, were he addressed this very form of objection most eloquently...(I have provide some editing, only for rating content)
    Get over the ridiculous details and enjoy the movie, dammit. JRRT never wrote his stories to become some sort of inviolate scripture, and he would be the first to say, as he drew on a glowing bowl of pipeweed,
    "Perhaps you should embark on a quest for a life, my friend".!!!

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually I think that was "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.