1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Roleplaying Demogorgon decision

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I have always thought that the Keep was intended to seal in both Demogorgons physical and spiritual form (so to speak). Seal the helmites in; nice going for eternity with the demon prince. :eek:

That is why I always kill the demon, and then the helmites.

2. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you are familiar wit the D&D Monsters Manual, you will know that demons are only visitors on the Prime Material Plane. Once their physical form is destroyed, they are released to their own plane of existence. Once you killed him, it was too late. His spirit was released. The Ritual Scroll was intended to keep his physical form in the keep.

3. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IIRC you seal the keep, imprisoning him forever, and then he seals the exit, which forces you to kill him.

No, the scroll is meant to be used while you stand outside the Keep.
    So, if you seal the Keep and thus Demogorgo inside, you also seal the Helmites' fate. Hence the distinction between "naive" good (an attempt at saving the Helmites) and the "greater" good (doom the Helmites, but emprison a great Evil).

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Chevalier

Wait a minute - you mean to tell me there is a way to SAVE the Helmites? I've never done that, and don't even know how you would do that. I was under the impression that you could:

1.) Seal the keep, thus ensuring that the Helmites suffer at the hands of the demon for all eternity.

2.) FIght Demogorgon, but then all the false Helmites die.

So, obviously there is a third option I'm not aware of - what is it?

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The third option is just to walk away and do nothing. There is no way to save the Helmites.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well then how (as CHevalier states) are the False Helmites "safe and you pardon them?"

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

No there is a way. You seal the keep from the inside and then Demogorgon releases you. You go and talk to the Helmites and you tell them that you did seal the creature in and found out about the lie -- you explain that you were to send the Helmites to their death but that you will not do that to them. They thank you profusely and leave to go find atonement for their horrible sin.

It's an odd option, but one that many good characters would have no problem taking -- Lawful Good characters might have a tough time with this, as they have given their word -- come to think of it, any lawful character is supposed to keep his word to the letter (at least according to the PHB, 2ed.) A non - Lawful evil character might figure that Demogorgon is too dangerous to deal with for anyone, so he might do the same thing. I would say that a neutral character would not want something that powerful messing up the balance of things, so the option looks good from that perspective as well.

As for chaotics, well, as has been said, who knows?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I've never taken that path before, which is utterly amazing given the number of times I have played through the game. So what happens after that? Do you still have to go back and either fight Demorgorgon? Or does the planatar come and give you the scroll that permanently seals the keep?

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Nope, neither -- the keep is sealed! You sealed it when you read the first scroll down in the basement -- Demogorgon was able to open a hole in the warding big enough for you but not for him. I guess the Helmite's going down there rips that warding or something and so necessitates the scroll you get if such happens, but if you warn them and they don't go down, the quest ends and you are done!

10. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Here's an evil roleplaying suggestion: If you're already planning on assuming Daddy dearests role as Lord of Murder, I can think of two roleplaying reasons for killing Demogorgon, that aren't of the greedy or psycho/fun veins. Either you a: Release him so that he can head off and spread teroor and death and suffering and etc throughtout the Planes (nice, but then why is he fighting you), or b: Teach him a lesson so that he'll be properly servile when you claim your birthright and start terrorizeing all existance yourself. Truly, it's a lot easier to rp any of the good alignments...

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

@LKD
    Never heard of that option, guess you can learn something new about the game after all. How much xp do you get for doing it that way?

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'm sorry to say that I don't remember how much XP you get for being merciful to the Helmites. Try it and see!

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

And since the demogorgon made a breach in the ward for you, you can also re-enter and still kill him if you want.

14. Tanari Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The reason i would want to kill demogorgon is its a fight and i am a paladin or ranger trying to do the right thing most the time.

and it seems holy to at least try and save the helmites because they are not actualy evil.

15. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm... what kind of alignment would kill the beast just for the thrill and the glory, I usually play CN characters and thats how I would see things.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.