1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Road Pet-Peeves

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Triactus, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The absolute WORST! They're especially bad if they're running late for church. :eek:

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here in Winnipeg, we don't have a lot of dedicated bike lanes. Te city is working on it, but the problem is they're taking away from car lanes to make bike lanes, which just makes things worse.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always felt the drivers in Utah drove as if they thought God would protect them.

4. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    oh oh, I've thought of another thing that bugs me. It's hard to explain so I'll illustrate it :

Let's say that a two lane avenue goes from east to west. You're on a street going from north to south (on the south side) and you get the green light so you want to turn west on the avenue. Other cars (on the north side) are going as well. Now the north side go in the right lane and the south side in the left lane. Some people are completely clueless about that. Either they cut you off or give you the death stare because they think you cut them off... :rolleyes:

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If you can identify with Goofy in this film (while he's driving, that is!), then you are one of my pet peeves. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm thinking of sending my city hall a request to install those "do not back up" tire destroying spikes (obviously turned around), so that they will automatically pop up 1 second after the light turns red. :evil:

Yeah, that ought ‘a do it. :D

7. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Some roundabouts are much better than others. Most of them are fine, but can be overused in some areas, but occasionally there is one which isn't marked as clearly as it could be and lanes aren't as obvious.

There is one close to me which has only two exits - and it's not needed for turning round on either road unless you've made a worng turning.

8. Triactus

Media:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but an epic driving fail happened last week-end. I was driving home in the left lane at around 2 am. I see ahead this car in the right lane driving very badly. We stop at a red light and I turn to see who the hell is driving the car. Well... the female passenger was giving the male driver a blowjob!! WTF! :jawdrop: But that's not the worst. The driver is looking at me like he's turned on be being watched in this intimate encounter... NOOOOO! I'm still not okay with this... :cry: I got home, went in the shower to lie in a fetal position.

LKD likes this.
  9. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG]

I am a fairly aggressive driver. The speed limit here is 100km/h, I usually drive 110-115km/h so I can get out of and away from the groupings that occur on the busier highways. I'm okay with people doing 100km/h it's the limit I get it. But when people are doing 90 and below it drives me nut. Were I am we have some old farmers who get their beaters on the road and do 85km/h. They become a hazard in that they create log jams and force people into passing.

On the other hand, I am already doing above the speed limit so when someone screams up on me and blows by me I just shake my head. There really is no need to be doing 130-140km/h. It's just reckless and stupid.

Roundabouts/traffic circles whatever they are called I hate. Not because I can't do them, but because there are millions of others who can't and that is where the problesm occur. There are only 2 or 3 in Edmonton and they are easy to avoid so I don't have to deal with them often but there are times and every time I enter one I get nervous because I wonder if the person next to me is one of them who don't know.

One thing that bugs me is when people are waiting to turn left on a green and can't get through do to the traffic crossing the intersection. So when the light goes yellow you have 4 people trying to beat it. At least two of them run the red. I've seen it where a person tries to turn left and a guy in the passing lane tries to beat the yellow. I don't know how they didn't hit, and must have missed by less than an inch, but it would have been a horrible collision. Then they both looked at each other like it was each others fault, when both of them would have been accountable. The sad thing is that it was a short light that have a turn light for the people who are turning left.

Slow traffic in the fast lane, but that bugs everyone. Same with bad mergers, and people who can't figure out how to dim their brights.

10. Triactus

Media:
    Well, I don't really consider doing 110 as being aggressive. Ticket wise, you can't get one for that here, since it's too close to the speed limit and too many things can fault the reading. Specially since 10 km/h over is something like a 20$ fine. The cops won't bother with it.

But I know, slow drivers... You know, it's one thing to drive slowly on a street. Maybe they're afraid to hit a child or whatnot. But a highway?? You're going in a straight line with a bunch of cars. Why would you drive at 70 or 80? I don't understand.

And there's some people who, I guess, consider driving in the left lane a sign of manliness. I often take a two lane highway and there are often people driving like 80 or 90 in the left lane.... even though there is NO ONE in the right! What the hell! The only way to pass them is from the right lane, which is illegal... grrrrr :mad:

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I prefer to drive on the middle line of the highway -- it's safest that way! :aaa:

I often drive in the left lane, though, because I know that mergers are coming in from cloverleafs, and I want to give them planty of room. if I see someone soming up behind me, though, I will move over as long as I'm not passing someone.

If the limit is 100 km/h, and I'm doing 115 km/h (oops!) and passing cars that are in the right hand lane, and some douche comes up behind me at freaking warp 12 and starts tailgating me, I'm not going to speed up for him. I'll move over once I've passed the 105 km/h people and let psycho boy roar past me at 130 km/h, but that's it.

Triactus likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.