1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ridiculously incredible pre-made PCs

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] I've consistently forgotten to post this for a few weeks, but finally I remembered when I was in front of the computer, so here goes.

The "Thief" and "Multi" pre-made characters that ship with the game have beyond awesome thieving abilities. I opened them up in GK after noticing the thief's uber abilities, and this is what I found:

MULTI.CHR
    Name: Koriand
    Gnomish male
    CN Illusionist/Thief

STR 14
    DEX 18
    CON 16
    INT 19
    WIS 11
    CHA 9

PP 60%, OL 70%, FT 50%, MS 50%
    That's 130 discretionary points at 1st level! :eek: :eek:

THIEF.CHR
    Name: Dernel
    Halfling male
    CG Thief

STR 9
    DEX 19
    CON 16
    INT 11
    WIS 7
    CHA 14

PP 70%, OL 70%, FT 60%, MS 90%
    That's 160 discretionary points at 1st level! :eek: :eek: :eek:

To hell with Imoen, I want one of these guys as my thief! :grin:

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can roll better thieves yourself. It's not too difficult to get both maxed out strength and 18 charisma without decreasing the important stats. The extra skill points are not that useful.

3. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I agree with Fel, the skill points are very high, and I think they make alot of difference. I have never used any of the prerolled characters, I will have to look into them.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The extra skill points are priceless. Dernel's skills are so high these are probably all the skills he'll ever need to open any lock in the game and remove any trap. Being able to do that from the very beginning of the game is quite good.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've used the halfling thief once I discovered he was the same as the thief in the 'conjured' party by Odo in Candlekeep. I *love* his wunderkin thiefiness. :cool: I made sure my mage PC had high Int and Wis and ID spell to identify things.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I once used the gnomish T/I; that was when I first discovered the big shiny one on the 1st floor of Winthrop's... :bigeyes: :D

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

OMG I remember those guys! It was the only way I could crack into that container with the star sapphire in it (without importing a character that only finished the game). Umm I was wondering, can halflings dual to mages, because seriously, after maybe one or two levels, that character would be set as a thief and could move onto other tasks! :D

8. Felinoid

Really really no. For one thing, halflings cannot dual (get your head out of that 3e sludge :p ), and for another, he doesn't have high enough INT (17 or more) to dual.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Oh yeh, whoops! But hey, imagine if he could ... ultimate superness! :D

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can crack the container with any level1 character who got maxed out lockpicking at creation and gets an racial bonus in dex or lockpicking like dwarf or halfling.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My half-elf fighter/thief with 18 dex and maxed out in lock-picking cracked the safe at level one.

Felinoid, did you check the for what the container is set? I suspect it is 50 but would like to know.

12. Felinoid

It was one of the first things I ever checked when I got IE. :grin: It's set at 65, but I'm pretty sure I was able to get it with someone who had only 60% in OL. A half-elf shouldn't be able to get it with only 55%, but if you've got Tutu you get more points at first level and can set it higher. This calls for a table! :roll:

MAX OL at first level (+10% for tutu):
    Human w/ 18 DEX - 55%
    Half-elf w/ 18 DEX - 55%
    Elf w/ 19 DEX - 55%
    Dwarf w/ 17 DEX - 60%
    Gnome w/ 18 DEX - 60%
    Halfling w/ 19 DEX - 70%

So only the short races should be able to open it at first level, but if you've got Tutu then anyone can. (Half-orcs are the same skill-wise as humans.)

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Regarding thief skills, when a skill gets to 100%, does that mean he will he 100% success in it???

Obviously this is different with Hide in Shadows but I'm talking pick pocket and open locks. Seriously I've never figured out how this works! :cry: Do you know Fel?

14. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The game uses these numbers a bit weird.

A Lock has a "set value" and you need to overcome that value. But unlike the rules where you actually roll 1D100 and try to overcome it seems that you have 35% in open lock, and the lock is "set" to 20, then you open it.

It is some random in this as well, but in short that it how it works in practise.

If it flowed the 2E rules you could technically be sitting besides that lock with the diamond in candlekeep for hours clicking new open lock and eventually it should have opened since it requires some high number but not 100+

I belive they changed the system so that would not happen.

So i guess that it takes 1D10 or 1D20 and adds you 35% and tries to oppose the lock.

1D10 +35 vs 20 in the earlier example.

For example, I guess someone else could clear this up a bit more.

15. Felinoid

All skills work 99% of the time (automatic 1% failure chance for all skills) at 100% except the stealth skills. And the only reason that the stealth skills don't always work at 100% is that you get a penalty in well-lit areas.

Of course, anything that's set at 100 difficulty (like the traps on the skull of Bhaal at endgame or the one container in the house near Razamith's Tower) is patently impossible and won't work even if you have 250% in that skill.

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The same applies to some traps in Durlag's Tower (sublevel 2 IIRC). I remember those traps causing me a lot of grief, because there's a combat nearby and Imoen would always end up stepping on them and dying in the process.

17. Felinoid

@Ziad:
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. None of the traps in Durlag's Tower are undisarmable, but almost all of them require at least 90 in FT, even up to 99 for one particularly nasty one. The ones you're talking about are the five right next to each other, just to the southwest of the four guardians, right? Well, you can disarm all five if someone has at least 97 in FT. Next time, don't assume that 80 is all you'll need for everything, that's a myth (though it's all you need for non-Durlag areas).

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I am playing with Tutu for the first time. Took 60 in Lock picking to start. I'm now over 100 but am having trouble with traps that I'm sure Imoen disarmed with no problem in vanila BG. I know her skills weren't anywhere near 100 either. Spider traps and some traps in the Cloakwood mines come to mind.

19. Felinoid

Disarming traps is done with Find/Remove Traps, not Open Locks.

EDIT:
    And if you're having trouble with the Cloakwood traps, you obviously haven't put any points into FT. Most of the traps down there have a difficulty of 10, with only a couple that have a difficulty of 15. A half-elf with 18 DEX starts with 10 without putting any points in, so I can't see how else you would have trouble unless you neglected FT completely.

[ March 17, 2006, 01:06: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

20. Nakia

Media:
    Uh :doh: I'll check it out. I'm in trouble I think. thanks for reminding me. Got so busy building Egyptian cities I forgot my BG lore. :o

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.