1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Revenge of the Sith...PG-13?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sir Belisarius, Mar 11, 2005.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fara, you are confused. Victory class star destroyers and super star destroyers are cool but the "classic" Imperial is the most wicked. In between, not as over the top as the Executor and not as coarse as the Victory class.

TIE's are original and intimidating, X-wing's are just your average airplane, nothing new or cool about them. They are also more like flying tanks than cool nimble space fighters. Now, a swarm of TIE's, what gets cooler than that? Also, what takes more guts?To get itno a superarmoured well ecquipped X-wing with extra everything or into a flimsy but oh so fast and nimble TIE? The rebel scum are wussies and cowards. Damn hippies. Oh, interceptors are cool but they lack the deadly simplicity of the basic TIE.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

imo ties are pretty cool when they attack in force and are swarming everywhere but look kinda boring when they're alone.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I saw another trailer for Sith when I saw "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" last night...This one is going to be AWESOME. I bought a ticket for the midnight May 18th show!!! WhoooHoooo!!!

Hitchhiker was pretty good too - but I never read the books. Now I want to.

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] There is a lot of good stuff out right now. Of course, if you've been to any store like Walk-Mart, Barnes & Noble, etc. you know this. The only Star Wars related purchase I'm making before going to see is the soundtrack, and it's a great deal this time around folks.

"Composer John Williams completes the Star Wars saga with his stirring score for Revenge of the Sith. The signature theme that encompasses the drama, betrayal, and excitement of the film's climactic acts has been developed as a music video, entitled A Hero Falls. Featuring footage from Episode III, the music chronicles Anakin's descent to the dark side and the final confrontation with his former mentor and friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

A Hero Falls is also one of 16 similar videos that are included in a bonus 70-minute DVD that accompanies the Episode III soundtrack release from Sony Classical. John Williams has selected the compositions that tell the entire story of the saga in Star Wars: A Musical Journey. The DVD is included with the soundtrack at no additional cost."

The soundtrack and the DVD of 16 Star Wars music videos from throughout the saga will be awesome, and all for the price of the normal soundtrack. This is an awesome deal, that I'm making sure not to miss out on. It goes on sale Tuesday, May 3. :tie:

Also, Kevin Smith has a review out on RotS. Of course it spoils and it has strong language, but if you need further reassurance that Sith will be the absolute shiz, then go check it out.

At this point, no amount of watching any more RotS trailers, or reading the novel (which I am not), or trying to find a copy of the script somewhere online, I've hit my RotS excitement level, because it's all so awesome, but everything is out of context. Not until it is seen in the context of the actual movie, will it all click with a resounding thunder. So I watch the teasers and the trailers and I feel they are so awesome with just something missing, and the actual thing missing is just seeing all this awesome stuff within its movie context. Until them, I'm getting more excited for RotS by going back and watching all the other SW movies. That's why this bonus disc with SW music videos is the shiz, and will get me just as pumped, if not more, than the RotS trailers, (or the confirmed news of a 100 episode SW tv series that takes place between RotS and ANH about a new SW character). ;) :tie: :D

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Big B, do you get a cut of the sales? ;) :grin: :spin: :roll:

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] It may seem like I do Sir Bel, what with all my SW promoting. But I'm just a special ed teacher with no connections to Lucasfilm, trying to make my way through the galaxy.

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
  8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I have to weigh in, although I'll admit that I haven't read every entry in this thread (that'd take a few years).

The prequels had merit, but they lacked a certain mystique, flavour and style. For the necessary comic relief and appeal to the younger crowd, Jar-Jar was a fair attempt -- Chewbacca was better, and they already had the droids.

I don't know what it is about the whole Hadyn as Anikin issue, but that character doesn't hold a candle to Luke. Maybe it's the acting, maybe it's the script, maybe it's the directing, or whatever, but the character sucks.

This last instalment, though, if it tries to hit the darkness, gloom and sheer viciousness of TESB, it could be cool.

9. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I know I am in the EXTREME minority but viewing the SW films(all 5 of those released thus far) as objectively as a former SW junkie can, I must admit that, aside from Empire, none of them are very good movies. I am sorry but A New Hope is chock full of poor transition, lackluster acting and...the damn droids! They would drag the movie down to "Grade B" even if it were otherwise flawless! FIrst of all the "machines with self-awareness" thing just does not work. I cannot manage the level of suspension of disbelief necessary to overlook that. And then there is the problem with C-3PO in general. He looks like a human walking around in a bad plastic holloween costume. This is especially bad after viewing the CGI effects of the prequels.

TRotJ was not as good as TESB but better than SW: ANH. THe main downfall of this film(aside from the droids) are the damned ewoks! I am sorry but if Lucas tried to use a bunch of muppet-ish 'Care Bears' as villains we would all be complaining. I do not see why it should be any different wehn he uses Muppetish 'Care Bears' as good guys. 'Forced cuteness'(no pun intwended) in such movies always comes off as 'forced cuteness'.

I have always had a sense that the prequels were, like the first two LotR movies, just a small part of a film that would be complete with RotS so, aside from criticism of Jar-Jar(and Jar-Jar was a terrible idea all around), I have been a little easier on them than the other SW movies.

Having said all that I DO think that RotS will be of the same quality(if not better) as TESB.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah. Star Wars: A New Hope is may favourite movie of all time. Your negative comments are blasphemous to me and people who share my beliefs. May the Force strike you down.

Bring on Episode III. Only 15 days to go. I'm very glad that it's not being released in NZ months after the rest of the world like Episode I was.

11. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    ANH is great! If you weren't alive when it originally came out, you really have no idea what it did to the movie industry...No one will ever persuade me to blaspheme Star Wars.

As for the Ewoks, Lucas originally intended the Battle of Endor to take place on Kashykk, the home world of the wookies. But since Chewbacca became too technically advanced as his character developed in SW and TESB, he scrapped the idea and developed ewoks. They are much more primitive and had no real technology at all.

Sure, they're cute and fuzzy - Lucas had a method for his madness...

12. Sticker Gems: 9/31

:eek: The Return of the Jedi is the best SW ever! It was the first movie I ever rented, (along with some James Bond movie my dad insisted we rent,) and it's still one of my favorite movies of all time. It's simply awsome, Luke vs. Vader, Jabba's Palace and the Sarlac pit...

13. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31

I was born in 1969 so I am well aware of the impact of SW and as an 8 year old kid I was pretty impressed with it when it was first released. Problem is, it did not age well. I watched it again a few days ago and every glaring flaw is just overpoweringly obvious now.

For example: The scene in the trash compactor has Han(in stormtrooper armor), Princess Lea standing in water that is not even knee deep but when Luke is pulled under by the tentacle creature the final time Han searches frantically all around him with his hands but it is as if Luke got pulled through a whirlpool or something. Seconds later Luke emerges at Han's feet gasping for air as if he had been fighting for his life 10 fathoms deep adn barely made it back to the surface before his lungs gave out!

But they were in less than 2 feet of water!?! We should have seen Luke's legs and arms flailing! Han should have gotten a hold of Luke easily!

Then there is the scene where Obi Wan commits suicide by letting Vader kill him. To this DAY that scene does not make the least bit of sense!? I have heard fans try to rationalize away it's senselessness but the attempts are laughable. The closest thing we get to a reason for Obi Wan's suicide are that "He shall become more powerful than [Vader] can imagine!" if Vader strikes him down.
    But this never happens! Ever after he is relegated to "advice-giving hologram" status(Didn't he give advice as well as swing a mean light-saber as living Obi Wan?!?) which is "less powerful".

Finally(for now) there is the theme that our physical senses are something we should not foolishly rely upon. Our eyes are untrustworthy. Our ears are limited. Our MINDS are unecessary.
    No, there exists something much more reliable, accurate, functional and true...FAIT-er, THE FORCE!

I have a hard time watching Star Wars and not thinking "Why did any of these species evolve to have eyes/ears/brains in this galaxy? Wouldn't "the Force"(and those who are able to tap it) win out in the survival of the fittest game?". We see this play out when Luke turns off his targeting computer, closes his eyes in meditation then fires "using the force" the Death Star destroying shot at film's end.

Sorry...maybe it is the rational thinker in me but I am not buying what Lucas is selling in these movies.

I don't buy that lame excuse for a second. Chewbacca made his debut as a laser crossbow weilding co-pilot of the MF so it was not like he had to make some last minute change to RotJ! ANd besides, you can do "primitive" without muppets and care bears! They could have used Wompas or Gamorians or any of 4 dozen other alien species that have been created for the mythos by Lucas and Co.

Not so much a "method" as a "comfort zone". I honestly believe he has a difficult time doing science fantasy WITHOUT "cute" forced into the mix! The droids and jawas(who were semi-cute) of SW. The droids of Empire. The droids and ewoks of Return. Jar-Jar Binks' of Phantom etc.

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Big B - You were right! The new soundtrack is AWESOME!! If the movie is as good as the music, Star Wars is going out with a BANG!!! :tie: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :tie:

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Things can be cheesy and inconsistant and totally kick arse at the same time...

16. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Oooo too bitter. Sure there are inconsistencies, but Lucas never REALLY planned a 9 story saga, he's had to make it up as he goes along.

The biggest inconsistency for me is the fact that Ben Kenobi looks to age almost 40-50 years between Sith and A New Hope and the Empire only lasts about 20-25 years...And that a mere 25 years earlier, a 900+ year old Yoda was bouncing all over the place with his green lightsaber, but 25 years later he's a frail old slug. Otherwise, I can live with everything else.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.