1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Returning to BG2 after a few years.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Amdis, May 4, 2008.

1. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

Hello everyone, after a few years i reinstalled BG2 SoA because i was able
    to get ToB in a bargain sail. But i do have some questions though, namely
    these.

I installed SoA and then i installed the BG2 lvl50 cap remover and the uScript.
    Then i thought...aaah ToB. So if i install it now do i have to reinstall the Cap
    remover and the uscript again?

Also can i first play SoA with both of them installed and after finishing SoA
    play ToB? Or is it better to install ToB after i finished SoA?

PS: I saw that Tob related things where not allowed on the SoA forums,
    but i wasn't sure if this falls under that rule. If so then please forgive me for once.:o

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No problem, I'll just move your thread to the ToB forum. Welcome aboard! ;)

As for your question, it'd be best to install ToB before applying any mods. But since you already have, you could just finish SoA first and then install ToB, yes. But at this point, most people will probably agree that playing with ToB installed from the get-go is a better option since it integrates with the original game.

3. Amdis

Ah that is good to know. I read the manual from ToB, but it some what confused me as too wether i could first play the SoA storyline before the ToB story. Now that it is clear i can, i can start my game.

Thanks Taluntain. :)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are acouple of TOB features that are very helpful in SOA - the tab button, in particular, to highlight loot an containers is great. Plus, with TOB installed, you can access Watcher's Keep before you finish SOA.

There are also different official patches for SOA vs TOB, but I'm not sure whether it matters.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Don't forget about HLAs and Wild Magic. You don't want to miss those.

6. Amdis

With the wild magic i know you mean the new character kit "Wild Mage",
    but...uhmmm HLAs??

Either way i started the game with a Cavalier, which is one of my favorite
    classes...the kensai being the first. But since this is the first time in severall
    years that i am playing BG2, i thought it would be wise to play a char that
    can have Armor. And a Cavalier has very nice bonuses IMO. :D

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    HLA = high level abilities

Check this for more info on ToB.

8. Amdis

I will, thanks Taluntain.

9. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I'd also add that if you have ToB installed, you will go straight from SoA's end sequence into ToB, so you can just keep on playing.

10. Amdis

That's nice to know, means that i do not have to export and
    then import it to start ToB. :D

11. Cal Jones

I would strongly recommend adding Ascension - it does add some harder battles (though all bar the last one are optional to upgrade) but also some extra roleplay stuff.
    Personally I don't really like super hard difficulty stuff but the improved Illasera, Gromnir and Yaga Shura fights were all fine - a bit more challenging but not ridiculous (I do not care for the tougher Demogorgon, though - original Demogorgon is tough enough for me, thanks).

12. Amdis

Well i first gonna play it without, it has been a few years since i played
    the game. So i first gonna see who..where and what again. And since i play
    with the core rules difficulty that is quite enough for me for the moment.

Thanks for the tip though. :)

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The big advantage of the "smooth transition" is that all your party members follow you as well, with exactly the same amount of experience they have at the end of the SoA portion. It really feels like playing one longer game, which is nice.

14. Amdis

I agree, that is nice indeed.

15. Cal Jones

And more to the point, the same equipment. Romances will continue too, if you didn't break them (nb, if you're romancing Jaheira, it's such a long romance you probably want to get that finished before you go into Suldanesselar or you'll miss out on a nice item. The ToB romance portion is different so you need to get your SoA romances wrapped up before going to ToB).

16. Amdis

That is good to know, thanks for the warning on that Cal Jones. :)

17. Cal Jones

You can call me Cal. :)
    Yes I spent bleedin' wandering around Amn waiting for her dialogues to spawn. Of course there are cheaty ways to speed things up if you are desperate.

18. Amdis

:) Thanks Cal, and i have been known to use a chaet or 2 in the past.
    But i have become a bit older and do not see the fun in using cheats
    all throughout a game, takes away the challenge of the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.