1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Retsnimle, the soloing Wizard Slayer's Saga

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Nobleman, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Graz73 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Come on now, I know you like the role playing, but if you kill Retsimle from some arbitrary role playing decision, it would stink. He's got a very high wisdom (17), which you need to role play too. Even if he's not smart, he should LEARN from his mistakes. He already learned that plate is better than leather, right?
    Shouldn't he know that?
    What do you think?

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Its Cool to have this discussion now. I am am glad that You worry for his safety ;)
    First The D&D Rules which I have based Retsnimle's personality on RULEBOOK of BG1 page 85. Also Retsnimle is Chaotic Neutral.

Intelligence: intelligence measures a characters memory, reasoning, and learning ability.

Wisdom Wisdom measures a characters enlightment, judgement and common sense.

Yeah right. SO much for words. But what do they mean? It can mean anything :) For Retsnimle they sort out like this:
    INT
    Retsnimle doesn't figure out many puzzle. HE is unable to connect many incidents. He remembers bad and doesn't learn much from his encounters. His attention walks from place to place from minute to minute.He is impulsive. He feels rather than thinks which brings us to

WISDOM
    On the other hand. He is strong-willed in whatever he is doing at the moment. and is swift to make an intuitive decision. His common sense will soon tell him that his love for an orc-armor has to be neglected in favour of the Full plate mail. So don't worry :D

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 05, 2001).]

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

When I look at the stats of Retsnimble I'm getting afraid for one type of enemy: The Mindflayer... Intelligence = 4 ??? Well maybe use the amulet of power some time.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Thanx for the concern, headbanger. I guess Retsnimle would be happy to hear of all htis support. Mindflayers... Well Retsnimle doesn't know them Yet. So HE can't be afraid :) I am sure this a problem far far away. I don't think he will survive that long anyway. The Necklace of power? I don't think he can wear any magic necklaces. Poor him. Now he is off for some Shadow thieves bullying. I bet he likes it :D

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The man in the Grave

Happy to have made a deal Retsnimle walks away. He hears a sound in the graves. Interested he looks down in the grave. A man. The Man seems very upset. Retsnimle can actually understand why, this time. me understands me help.

The teddy bear

Retsnimle walks whisteling through the graveyard as a strange looking boy wants his teddy Bear. Again Retsnimle Understands Me smart me help

The Wisdom is only possed by the learned
    Being stalked by muggers all the time Retsnimle seeks cover in a pleasant looking building in the Docks district. Here Retsnimle is stunned. A marvelous man speaks in a comforting voice of wisdom. And look at all his books. You be me friend The joy takes no end as the man can repair Retsnimle wounds for some of those golden things. Me not have to have bad dreams of bad man nomore

DIRECTORS NOTE: Retsnimle seems to take a lot of beating from the random encounter. It is good for him to have found a temple. Even though the healing costs are tremendous it helps stalling the timecounter. Its at day 73 already. Still no fatal wounds. And still no reloads. These in-city adventures might be good for Restnimle as it was a miracle that he survived Nalia's Keep quest.

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hooray for temples. I didn't think they were too expensive as long as you go for the most powerful healing rather than muck about with the small heal spells. Anyway, I'm glad our hero made it through the Keep OK. I think that was probably the hardest single quest my non-magic party faced. A lot of that is to do with it being one of the first and so being at a low level of course. So things are looking good.

I've also thought about the Mind Flayer problem and reckon you should be ok as you can actually avoid nearly all of the encounters with them. The only one that will be diffciult to avoid is the (SPOILER if you haven't finished the game) Phare rescue mission in the Underdark.

Anyway, keep it up, I'm really enjoying reading about his adventures and have a strong mental picture of him now. I think lots of us will be gutted if he should finally fall in battle.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I'll move my - more prosaic - tale of a soloing wizard slayer to a new topic so Nobleman's tale can get the space it deserves.

Retsnimle and Gloin Bonehead are similar in that they both have an achilles heel: intelligence and charisma respectively.
    They can't raise these stats more than a couple of points at the most (using a weapon or armor perhaps) so they're stuck with them.

The only way of increasing strength - since Wizard Slayers can't use girdles - is to get Crom Faeyr. Worth considering isn't it, Nobleman?

Again I must say how much I love your storytelling, Nobleman! :)

Keep going heavy with the roleplaying part and Gloin Bonehead will focus more on "power gaming". I've already gotten quite attached to Gloin. It helps alot that he uses Korgan's voice set. :D

8. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

Hey Earl Grey, I'd like to hear your story too... Tell us how it goes for you. I assume you keep going after a death, right?

Get a lot of stuff with "of Balduran" in the name. It all pretty much helps your charisma... And with the sword of roses, you'd have a pretty decent charisma...

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

DIRECTORS NOTE:Last night I considered playing on if Retsnimle died. But With Earl doing such a magnificent job with Gloin Bonehead, there is no reason for Retsnimle to continue. So I'll stick to the fact that if he dies he will rest in peace.

Retsnimle crosses Shadow Thieves and lives

Thrilled Retsnimle walks to the Docks and slaughters the many thieves. Some of them throws so many knives that Retsnimle is forced to pick up his shield. and as Ribald had said, their daggers hit themself. hehhe. Ribald is nice man He takes the box and wanders of as if nothing had happened. Again whisteling. Back to Bodhi. She is pleased. And Retsnimle agrees to kill some more. A nobleman in the Government district. Too complicated to think of anything else. Just as long as he can kill that coooing sometimes, that keeps run through his mind. Coo! Coo! CooCoo!

Another Task.

Retsnimle sets of to the Government district to kill this man. Here he meets another sad boy. You miss teddy bear too Retsnimle grunts. Obviously he didn't. He needed help in Umar hills. A spawn of joy fills Retsnimle. You have Nymphs there. Teh boy gives no answer.me check out me'self. Retsnimle is then approached by a Nobleman who wants Retsnimle to help wizard. Get away dum man. ME no help wizards.

DIRECTORS NOTE:Its really a pain for REtsnimle that he can't use scrolls of any king because of his intelligence.Its like putting the bullet in the gun pressed to his head. I have doomed him from the beginning. on the bright side he is still alive. thats positive :D I am happy to get positive feedback on the story :)thanx

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 06, 2001).]

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Indeed, the low intelligence has made it so much harder to succeed.
    Not only for the Mind Flayers but also for fighting liches and other tough undead. Gloin can use Scroll of Protection from Undead. The "run away tactic" - ;) - is likely to get Retsnimle through it anyway... with a bit of luck and perseverance.

Scrolls of protection against Undead (and to some extent Magic) feels kinda cheesy to me. Just hacking away while the undead stand around dumbfounded. Hrmmm, what do you think?

11. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

It'll be interesting to see which missions Retsimne undertakes and which ones he skips. Could he use a figurine, like Kitthax? I bet he'd like having a friend liek that...

Are his anti-magic abilities becoming useful now?

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

DIRECTORS NOTE: Scrolls are cool Earl, keep using them. No need to make it harder on yourself. And to Retsnimle. As long as he has a lot of space to maneuver in. And some doors he is all Honky dory.Thanks for following the story Graz73, I have tried to minimize my bad spelling and tried to make smaller chapters.Anyway Retsnimle can't get Kittix as a friend. Sad :) He needs a new companion though since he lost the cleaner-golem in Irenicus' dungeon :D His Magic abilities haven't been vital yet. But perhaps in the coming Shadow thieves war.

Now Todays Episode:

The Task looong waited for
    The nobleman and his guards go down quicker than Chinchikka fastpawns. Retsnimle Is Proud and so is Bodhi. The next task is what Retsnimle had hoped for. Seek out the COoOooo Man and get a key. Then Destroy the shadow thieves. Destroy yes. Me destroy Retsnimle Gnarls and chokes in a coughing.
    By now Retsnimle has forgotten about the man who was burried. He walks to the Coo-mans's house. Some brutes try and stop him outside the copper coronet. But they try in Vain.

The teddy bear adventure continues.

Retsnimle looks at the copper Coronet. Ohh The Boys ted'bear He enters. This time Lehtinan lets Retsnimle in the back. Good for Lehtinan. He would have died else. In the back Retsnimle kills the teddy-thief. No hard arguing. He leaves. As he turns the corner to the Coo-man's house he sees some slave beg for mercy. then some money exchange. Why don't that skinny man eat som' more?

The Key to the thieves doom
    Unaware of the slavery Retsnimle enters Gaelan's house. A sweet sweet pleasure fills Retsnimle mind as he strikes down the coo-man. He is happy. In the Graveyard district there is no kid. Fine. Me keep ted'bear for me own bad dreams. He walks to his new favorite place. The Temple of Oghma in docks districk. Again Retsnimle is amazed. The Cloaked man talks in a wise tone These walls poses the worlds wisdom Retsnimle looks at the walls for a while but doesn't quite follow. He gets healed and continues towards the Shadow thieves guild hall.

DIRECTORS NOTE: Today was a day with no real bloodshead. Just the silence before the storm. Retsnimle is also eager to get to Umar to find his Nymphs, so I think that he forgets all about the quest of the burried Tirdir. The fight against Cohrvale in front of Copper Corronet was easy. Thats a good sign. The timecounter has been stopped. If Retsnimle hadn't met a temple he would soon reach day 100. Now he is still at day 73-74. Its cool that he hasn't died Yet.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 06, 2001).]

13. kingius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This story is fantastic... keep it up!

14. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Nobleman - the adventure is outstanding and your rollplaying of Retsnimle is killing me! Ok - I was going to ask where you got his name, but I just now saw it.

This is officially my favorite thread now. :)

15. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

It's interesting that you role play the other characters and shop keepers too.

isn't it likely that a "good" shop keeper might direct Retsnimle of what he should buy? For instance a helm of charm protection?

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

DIRECTORS NOTE: First of all I am gratefull and happy That so many people like the story. It really makes it much more worth writing. You make me blush :) And Graz73 You are right. Good merchants should give some good advice. One of the things I have tried NOT to do is to roleplay anyone else than Retsnimle though. But I can see it has slipped from time to time. I can only regret it as I try using What is actually said by the NPC's in the game. This more than often gives "no response" to Retsnimle's questions. But I promise to be more carefull in my writings.
    Now to the Saga. Todays episode is pretty bloody :(

The Guild wars
    Many battles follow as Retsnimle trembles his way through the first floors of the Guild House. And many hours are spend by Retsnimle, after slaying a room full of theives, to go to the temple nearby and get healed. No fight puts an end to him. Retsnimle wonders about how many wounds this nice man with the clever walls can heal. "He be me hero"

The Noisy little man
    Back in the Guild Retsnimle stumbles into an overeager little man in a torture chamber. He is One touch hecker, but so is Retsnimle. The strange little man makes a tremoundous noice every time he is hit. Neeeh. Neeeeh. Neeeeeeeh. "You no beat me with that dum yelling ". At some point the man explodes. Retsnimle makes a silly grunting "neeeeh", and smiles.

Going down in a rain of Acid
    Retsnimle spends a lot of time wondering how to solve the great puzzle of finding a button and press it. He eventually succeds, getting to kill a dumb wizard along the way, Retsnimle was happy to see him die in agonizing pain from a rain of acid arrows.

Orcs talk in strange ways
    In the long hallway he meets some orcs. Retsnimle feels sad to hit them. He speaks to every one of them. But they just want to hack in him. A bit sad, Retsnimle burst out in a long "Neeeeh", and joins the game and hacks back."this strange way to talk to friend". He hacks his way through them all. Ahead of him lies Aran's HQ, But Retsnimle doesn't know.

DIRECTORS NOTE: The battle in the training facility was extremly hard. Had Retsnimle not had his sword that hasted him for 8 seconds he would have been dead. Now he had time to run out and get healed and be back in no time. The mage having the secret key to Arans HQ was easier. He was bombarded by acid arrows.Perhaps Retsnimle's new favorite way to end mages lives? Its nice to see that Retsnimle hasn't died once.. Yet. I wonder how he manages Aran's HQ.

Here is an Update (did I ever make one :) ) on Retsnimle's inventory
    GOLD 15436
    Weapons Quick:Frostreaver+3, Arbanes Sword+2 unidentified hammer from Nalia's keep.
    Left hand: Flail of Ages
    Armor: Orcish Armor+3 (yes still on)
    Helm: Helmet of balduran
    Boots: None

Backpack: Acorns, scrollcase, gemback, Tidirs red cloth, Full plate mail, Elven Court+3, Shield of reflection. And his favorite book. History of the North: Recent history. Lots of Orcs in it. :)

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 07, 2001).]

17. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Dear Retsnimle

I have an idea that might be of interest to one such as you. I have heard tales told of a magical sword that was designed for one such as you. This sword can come to life and fight by your side. It can become your friend. If you want to find a new friend I suggest you talk to some of the merchants in Trademeet and ask about Ras.

Back to normal - of course this could also help against mind flayers a little bit. Anyway the details are below. Also, talking of friends, Lilarcor could make a good friend for Retsnimle (although it means giving up a shield).

Long Sword +2: Ras, The Dancing Blade
    Beroalf was a barbarian who traveled from the cold north in search of adventure. He sought treasures and glory, but soon all he wanted were companions to share in the excitement of battle, much like those he had left behind in his faraway village. Unfortunately, his coarse remarks and rudimentary hygiene repelled most travelers he met, until he expressed his thoughts to a sympathetic mage. The mage, for a price, constructed Ras, the dancing blade. Though not quite what Beroalf had in mind, he was thrilled nonetheless, and wielded the sword for many years. How they were ultimately separated is not known.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities: Dancing sword can attack on its own for 4 rounds.
    THACO: +2 bonus
    Damage: 1D8 +2
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 3
    Proficiency Type: Long sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 6 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

PS thanks to whoever it was that poseted about this sword a while back I hadn't noticed it until then.

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think that Retsnimle & Lilarcor would be a match made in comedy heaven.

Lilacor: "Like warm butter!"
    Retsnimle: "Not butter, troll!"

Lilacor: "Sissy fighter! You grab, I'll scratch!"
    Retsnimle: "Me scratch, you hack."

Lilacor: ". . .this is for my grandma who said I'd never amount to more than a butter knife!"
    Retsnimle: "Grandma bad, Lilacor friend! Kill mean Grandma"

19. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Very good story so far, (you should compile it all and make it a story).

I'd like to congradulate you on your model roleplaying too.

20. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I like this story very mutch. Can hardly wait to read the next episode of Retsnimle's adventures. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.