1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Retiring from the family-friendly side of SP

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Disciple of The Watch, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "the navigationally challenged"
    Nicely put! Man, I missed this place's irony and sarcasm. :D I fear I will soon fall victim to it, though. It's been a while and I forgot many of the customs.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not knowing that MUG stands for Mature Users Group doesn't make someone "navigationally challenged".

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Then, what does it make them?

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Acronymically challenged.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly!
    And posting a link "for the navigationally challenged" doesn't mean he does so for the people not knowing that MUG stands for Mature Users Group. :D

Edit: Mannnn! I'm slow!

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey DMC, I was setting Splunge up for the punchline! Spotlight stealer!:D

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not really. For instance, I know that there are a number of social groups, and know generally what most of them are for, but other than MUG I don't know their exact names, so an acronym of one of those names wouldn't mean anything to me.

Well, given that Tal's post was in direct response to HB's question, the link was obviously for HB's "benefit"; otherwise, I fail to see the reason for providing the link at all.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Splunge - picky picky.

Is MUG an acronym? Yes.

Did he know what it meant? No.

Thus, acronymically challenged.

Your challenges, on the other hand, are much broader. :p

10. Splunge

Media:
    Oh, TALWOASPYBGB.

:p

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbs didn't ask what MUG stands for but what it was. Which, to me, suggested that he's never even heard of it or checked out the list of the social groups. Hence my response.

And the link was for the benefit of everyone sharing the unfortunate fate of not knowing about the MUG at all. It's rather hard to know about the Mature Users Group's existence but not realize that MUG's the acronym, given that it is written down as such in the group's description as well.

Oh and Splunge, we won't tell anyone that you didn't know what MUG means. It'll be our little secret. :p

12. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Good, now we have unravelled the secrets of the MUG, I hope Tal can keep an other secret:
    I don't know what UGLY stands for... :o

13. Splunge

Media:
    Tal, if someone mentioned SAOUV, I would probably ask what that was. My question wouldn’t mean that I hadn’t figured out it was an acronym for something (the all-caps kinda gives that away), or that I was unaware of social groups, or that I was unaware of the existence of the specific social group called Students’ Archthesis on Uni-Verse; it just means that I didn’t know its exact name, and so SAOUV was meaningless to me. Therefore, I wouldn’t know that it was referring to a social group, and wouldn’t think to look in the Community section to find out what it stood for.
    Posting that here basically has the opposite result. But thanks anyway; I'll sleep easier tonight. :p

14. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    SAOUV is meaningless in general. :p

The Archthesis needs no acronyms. Just a hefty references index.

*stops splitting hairs and goes to test out asymptotic freedom.*

BoM displays the effect heavily.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Ahem... I pointed out that you didn't need to dig for it in the Community section. It's right there, among the most popular forums.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Woah. What did I start? Having accepted that I am either navigationally or acronymly challenged (or both), I had never heard of it because all I ever do here is push the 'new posts' button (I've never found a way to bookmark it) and then scan the first page for interesting threads. I've never been to MUG because I never knew it was there.

I'm getting old and I stick to things I know. There were no such new fangled things as MUGs in my day!

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You can right click on a link and there should be an option for 'Bookmark This Link' or 'Add to Favourites'

You've probably had trouble because after clicking the link the URL changes at the end from 'do=getnew' to 'searchid=######' - if you bookmark the search you can change it manually as well.

18. Splunge

Media:
    Face it, Harbs - you're a catalyst for disputes, even if you don't mean to be. :p

19. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Yeah... Watch that kiwi, peops. He's an intriguer and even manages to sound innocent, ignorant and amiable. :p

20. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.