1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Restoring Magicka (Morrowind)

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by TrueBlueAussie, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

This is probably a true newbie problem so bear with me. I got Morrowind the other day and have had a bit of a play around. One thing is bothering me though. I cant seem to find an effective and cheap way to replenish magicka that doesnt involve me going back and resting somewhere. I seem to run out of potions quickly and cant find a good source for them. Any help would be good.

Cheers

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Apart from potions and resting? Your best bet would be to enchant a ring or something with a permanent magicka recovery (or charged i suppose) However chances are it'll be expensive as hell, and you'll probably need a golden saint soul for it.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm afraid that won't work, Magister, since you need to know a spell with that effect before you can enchant anything with it, and there is no Restore Magicka spell in Morrowind (or its expansions).

The easiest way would probably be to use alchemy to boost your intelligence, then use some more alchemy to create a few very strong Restore Magicka potions.

If you for some reason don't want to resort to alchemy cheese, you could enchant something with Spell Absorption and soak up some spells. The downside of this is that this effect is very costly, and you'll probably not be able to enchant anything with any reasonably high level of this. There are some items that grant you a decent level of spell absorption, though (not sure if these are constant effect or cast when used).

But what I usually did, was to take the Atronarch birthsign (+ 2x your INT to your magicka ftw), which grants you 50 pts of Spell Absorbtion as an ability. Then take Conjuration as a major or minor skill, so you start the game with the Summon Ghost spell. If your magicka runs low, summon a ghost, attack him, and he'll keep casting magic at you, which will replenish your own magicka. This works best if you have a race with magic resistance (Breton, Orc), so that you'll be unaffected with the magic of the ghost, as the ghost will keep on casting until you're affected.

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh... :bang: my bad

5. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

There are plug-ins available that allow your Magicka to slowly regenerate in a manner similar to Fatigue. It's probably one of the more popular game mechanics plug-ins out there. I think the newest version of the plug-in will actually let you manipulate the rate and degree of recovery to suit your own playing style. I'll see if I can find a link to the one I'm thinking of.

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Another trick is to play with the Atronoch birth sign and cast one of the recall spells that return you to a shrine (forget the name now -- Almsivi and Divine I guess?). Just click on the shrine and you'll get fully restored Magicka. If you're a member of the temple it's free of charge. Then you can recall back to where you just were and keep blasting away. A bit cheesy, but affective.

Option B is drink about a dozen Intelligence boosting potions and then bust out the alchemy gear and brew up a bunch of Mana regen potions. You can get insane potions with this method if you really abuse it, i.e. 100 magicka points per second for about 10 minutes.

7. Leverage87 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Or glitch your intelligence into the extremely high thousands, which will in turn increase your magicka to massive amounts. If your not interested in glitching, using alchemy to boost your intelligence, then making restore magicka potions (also good time to make restore health potions) which will do something to the effect of 20 some magicka per second for a couple thousand seconds.

8. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Okay, they sound like good suggestions, but how do I come aross a lot of the ingredients for the restore magika potions? as far as I know, the only cheap and readily available one is the gomberry (I think)

9. Leverage87 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I would give more info, but I haven't played morrowind in probably a year now, I can't even remember the names of the ingrediants, much less where to get them. Save bet: IIRC, Baldera(Whatever the name of that city is where house Hlaalu resides) has an alchemist shop, and a few general shops that should have some ingrediants.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ingredients for Fortify Intelligence are:
    - Bloat
    - Netch Leather
    - Ash Yam
    All three can be bought from one of the fellows in the Imperial Cult shrine in Sadrith Mora. Better yet, he restocks each time you initiate the barter screen. Even more munchkinny deliciousness: If you sell some back to him, it adds to his stock for the next time.

So what you do is as follows: Go to the man with some/all alchemy gear in your inventory. Buy the above ingredients. Make a few potions. Each time you're successful, drink the potion (and exit the inventory screen for a short while for it to take effect), then create more potions. It's a self-reinforcing mechanism: As your intelligence increases, your potions become more powerful, which increases your intelligence even further. More powerful potions are also worth more, so sell some back if your short on money and use this money to buy more ingredients.

This is a great way to increase your alchemy skill (and mercantile, if you're so inclined), and you make some money in the process.

From here, you can go two ways.
    1) Boost your intelligence to rather insane levels.
    2) Start creating Restore Magicka potions.

The first is easy. Continue the above described method until you tire of it. Your high intelligence should last for quite a while, so until it runs out, you'll not have to worry about restoring your magicka. If you do this, make sure your magicka is full when you start, as the relative amount of magicka will remain the same. So if you start out with a max. magicka of 100 and you only have 30 left, then boost your intelligence so that you have 1000 magicka, you'll only have 300 magicka.

A word of caution before doing this: If you decide to go nuts with this, and boost your intelligence to 1 million +, beware that the effect may take so long to wear off that it may seem like it's permanent. I once boosted my intellingence to about 75 million, and I can tell you, it just wouldn't wear off, no matter how long I slept, waited or played. It's fun for a while, but gets old in the end. While in that state, I once accidentally ate a piece of human flesh, which has a Fortify Health effect if you eat it. And I suddenly had over a million health. Tad overkill, that.

Right.

The second method requires you to have some of the following ingredients, which all have the Restore Magicka effect on them:
    - Void Salts
    - Frost Salts
    - Daedra's Heart
    - Comberry
    I'm afraid I don't know of any vendors which sell these ingredients and restock on them, but the Comberry and Daedra's Heart should be common enough out in the wild (though the latter only if you're of a high enough level).

If you have these ingredients, follow the above instructions about getting your intelligence up, then start creating some potions of Restore Magicka.

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Comberry's plentiful enough in southern Vvardenfell; Daedra Heart is a sometimes drop of...well...daedra (Golden Saint, Ogrim, Daedroth, Dremora (& Lord), Scamp, Clannfear & Hunger) so you'll need some levels and some decent gear before you begin harvesting them. Same goes for Frost Salts and Void Salts; they're sometimes dropped by Frost Atronachs in the former case, and Storm Atronachs or Winged Twilights in the latter.

One 'cheese trick' I've discovered in my explorations of Daedric shrines is there'll usually be a pile of offerings before a statue which sometimes includes a Daedra's Heart. But this is a different item than the usual ingredient, since picking it up (ideally 'desecrating the offering') causes a Dremora Lord to be summoned in to punish you. If you can handle such an opponent, you can try to quickly harvest his body before he vanishes on death - more hearts. :evil:

And here's the glitch - the effect is focussed on the 'cursed' daedra heart - if you keep putting it down and picking it up, you keep summoning Dremora Lords. :D

You can use one of these 'different' hearts - it stacks seperately from usual ones, and thus you can create a potion with all four of the d/h effects, but they're of a limited supply since they were placed by the devs and don't respawn like plants, so why 'kill the goose that lays the golden eggs'? :holy:

12. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Drink a Sujamma--one of its effects is to drain INT by 50 points--when the 60 second duration effect wears off, your INT returns, along with the appropriate amount of magicka (INT x magicka multiplier). Not the most efficient way to do it, but it's something...

13. Luiz Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

The alchemy vendor Nalcarya in Balmora is a restocking vendor of Daedra Hearts, Frost Salts and Void Salts.
    Ajira, in the Balmora Mage Guild Basement sells Comberries.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.