1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Repeat Champions

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    They had a fan-base? :lol: Teams in the northern US fare well, but in the south, attendance is so low it's ridiculous. There is more and more talk of bringing struggling teams (like those in Nashville, Phoenix, for example) in Québec city and Winnipeg... :banana:

But going back on topic, the only sport I know, like any other good canadian, is hockey. So I can only say that with the season start Pittsburgh is having, they're still likely to win the cup, although like every other sport, upstart teams have a way of winning big...

@ Aldeth : Well, *I* can name a soccer team in my region. The Montréal Impact! HA! :p

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned the Calgary Stampeders

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Both Quebec and Winnipeg were hockey towns, and should never had lost their teams. And I also will put Harford on the list as a city that shouldn't have lost their team (and yes, I'm aware that Harford is not in Canada). It would be the equivalent of an NFL team like Buffalo that has a strong fan base, but plays in a small market losing its team.

I'm stuggling at the moment to remember where those teams relocated to. IIRC, Denver got the Nordique franchise, and I'm pretty sure that the Jets moved to Phoenix to become the Coyotes - although I could be wrong there, but I don't THINK the Phoenix team was an expansion team. If Phoenix is one of the stuggling teams it should be doubling infuriating to Canadians, as Phoenix is one of the locations of the "stolen" franchises. Of course, I'm not at all familiar with the entire history. Were those teams relocated becuase they were stuggling in their previous locations?

Back on topic, it looks grim for a repeat champ in Philly. I am surprised that the Phillies did not go back to Lee in Game 4. I understand the sentiment that Lee has never pitched on short rest before, and ideally the World Series is not the time when you want to find out if your pitcher can perform on short rest. However, I don't buy that line of reasoning. You never make a pitcher go on short rest unless it's the post season or the very end of the regular season and you're making a playoff push. So ALL pitchers find out how effective they are on short rest in very important games. If the game was not particularly important, you wouldn't play a guy on short rest.

I felt from the onset of this series that the Yankees had the better team. However, I thought the Phillies best chance was to put Lee out there in Game 1, 4, and, if necessary, 7. Lee has been damn near un-touchable in the post season, and it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the Phillies could win all three of those games. That would mean the Phillies would only need one other win from one of their other pitchers. Lee pitches tonight, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Phillies send the series back to New York. I just don't see them winning three games in a row.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Both Quebec and Winnipeg were hockey towns, and should never had lost their teams. And I also will put Harford on the list as a city that shouldn't have lost their team (and yes, I'm aware that Harford is not in Canada). It would be the equivalent of an NFL team like Buffalo that has a strong fan base, but plays in a small market losing its team.

I'm stuggling at the moment to remember where those teams relocated to. IIRC, Denver got the Nordique franchise, and I'm pretty sure that the Jets moved to Phoenix to become the Coyotes - although I could be wrong there, but I don't THINK the Phoenix team was an expansion team. If Phoenix is one of the stuggling teams it should be doubling infuriating to Canadians, as Phoenix is one of the locations of the "stolen" franchises. Of course, I'm not at all familiar with the entire history. Were those teams relocated becuase they were stuggling in their previous locations?

Back on topic, it looks grim for a repeat champ in Philly. I am surprised that the Phillies did not go back to Lee in Game 4. I understand the sentiment that Lee has never pitched on short rest before, and ideally the World Series is not the time when you want to find out if your pitcher can perform on short rest. However, I don't buy that line of reasoning. You never make a pitcher go on short rest unless it's the post season or the very end of the regular season and you're making a playoff push. So ALL pitchers find out how effective they are on short rest in very important games. If the game was not particularly important, you wouldn't play a guy on short rest.

I felt from the onset of this series that the Yankees had the better team. However, I thought the Phillies best chance was to put Lee out there in Game 1, 4, and, if necessary, 7. Lee has been damn near un-touchable in the post season, and it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the Phillies could win all three of those games. That would mean the Phillies would only need one other win from one of their other pitchers. Lee pitches tonight, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Phillies send the series back to New York. I just don't see them winning three games in a row.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, since I live in Winnipeg, I can confirm that the Jets did indeed move to Phoenix. And while it really was depressing to lose the Jets (and talk still comes up occasionally about getting a team again), to be honest, I don't think Winnipeg can support a team (and I'm not the only one here who thinks so). We lost the Jets for financial reasons, and that was before players' salaries went through the roof. Winnipeg is basically a wholesale city - people here don't pay retail for anything, and the thought of spending $100 for a ticket to a hockey game is just incomprehensible for most people. Yes, there are some who would pay that, but not enough to support a team. The problem is compounded by the fact that Winnipeg is a "fair weather" town - there is a small core of people who will go regardless of how the team is doing, but when they're losing, the stands are mostly empty.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    And so it ends. The Phillies will not repreat. The Yankees were simply the better team. In hindsight, even though I was critical of the decision to not start Lee in games 1, 4, and 7 it didn't really matter in the end. The Phillies only won the two games he pitched, so assuming he would have given a similar performance if he had pitched in Game 4 as opposed to Game 5, the series would never have made it to a 7th game anyway.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Who knows, but your right, The Yanks were definitely the better team. The Phils needed more from Hamels, who has folded this year. LHP is the only way to beat the Yankee lineup consistently and the Phils had it, but didn't utilize it. Lee definitely should of went game 4. Blanton wasn't bad, but would of better served the team as mid-relief. It's the World Series, it's all or nothing. Giardi made the right call with using only 3 starters. The Phils should of went with Lee, Happ, Hamels, repeat. Blanton and Pedro would of been great mid-relievers and change of paces if Happ would of got in trouble. Arizona utliized RJ for all he had, more managers should take notes from that. Too bad Moyer went down at the end of the year, he also would of been a great change of pace to throw in the mix. Though I'm glad Manuel didn't consider Myers as an option, he is a big headcase who is already losing his stuff. Kudo's to the Yanks.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Damn Yankees!

As a Red Sox/Rays fan, this is all I'm going to hear about for the next thousand years.

27! 27! 27!

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, at least one of the Phillies made the record books...

10. Saber

Utley did have some impressive numbers.

Or were you talking about Ryan Howard's record setting number of strikeouts?

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought he was referring to Utley's consecutive games reaching base streak.

12. Saber

Oh? Regular season? How long was it? I thought he was referring to the 5 HR in the World Series, which has only been done one other time, by... Clemente?

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As assumed that he was talking about Howard's strikeout record, since he actually broke that one. The 5 HR in the World Series technically only tied the record.

It was by Reggie Jackson, and while I'm not sure of the year, if I had to guess it was either in 1976 or 1977.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Utley also broke the record for reaching base in 27 consecutive post-season games. It might of went beyond 27, but I beleive it was game 2 that broke the record. And yes, it was Mr. October, hence the nickname. I'm trying to forget Howard's WS performance.:p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I think it did go beyond that (although I have no idea when he broke the record) because the only game in the WS where he did not reach base was game 6, IIRC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.