1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Repeat Champions

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I was listening to ESPN radio this morning, and they pointed out that this is the first time in a long time there is actually a chance for the reigning champion to repeat in each of the four major sports.

Baseball - Phillies - in the World Series
    Football - Steelers - still pretty good
    Basketball - Lakers - still very good
    Hockey - Penguins - still very good

I would say the Steelers are the least likely repeat as the NFL is the least likely league to see a repeat champion.

EDIT: That and the Steelers are not considered one of the top teams right now. The Phillies are in the WS, so they obviously are one of the top teams. The Lakers are the prohibitive favorite in the NBA, and the Penguins are considered one of the top teams in the NHL (although not a prohibitive favorite like the Lakers).

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

That's a pretty miserable list of the four major sports :roll:.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I'm a Lakers fan so, of course, I'd like them to repeat. That being said, the vagaries of the lengthy season, injuries and an insanely long playoff schedule means that even prohibitive favorites don't necessarily even make the finals, let alone win (i.e., Cleveland/Boston last year). Yes, the Lakers should cruise through the West, but it's not a given.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

As long as Duncan and Parker are healthy, San Antonio always has a shot. But with the Lakers adding Artest, I think they are still the favored team to win the West. We all know Shaq won't last the full season, especially after playing most of last years season. So I doubt Cleveland will win the east, Boston is the top dog with picking up Rasheed.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, I was speaking of major team sports in the US, and the pecking order is very clear. Its:

1. Football
    2. Baseball*
    3. Basketball
    4. Hockey

* Baseball and Basketball are extremely close, and there are cities (like Los Angeles) where basketball is more popular than baseball. Heck, they are the only city with TWO professional basketball teams! Further, NASCAR is technically the second most popular "sport" in the US. How driving a car really fast around a circle for three hours is anything but a snorefest - much less entertaining - remains a mystery to me.

However, to placate the European members of the board, let me expand the list a little bit:

1,583,249: Soccer - FIIK the name of a single team in the US
    4,174,682: Cricket - I love the sound of crickets on those long summer nights.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow, you have soccer that high on your list? I had soccer right below sliding down a hill of razorblades and right above Nascar.:)

---------- Added 2 hours, 13 minutes and 35 seconds later... ----------

I can't speak for the other teams, but I KNOW my Fighting Phils will repeat. J-Roll and Co. will not be denied!

7. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What about Orlando? They're slightly better than last year with some nice signings (J-Will bounces back :D ) and Nelson back on the court.

Is hockey considered a major sport in USA? I thought hockey players aren't household names.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Hockey has lust it's gusto in the US. Their strike a few years ago really hurt their fan-base.

Orlando is also looking good, but Boston had injuries last year and still won their division. Nelson isn't that good. Plus he's small, so that hurts him defensively, especially against a bigger team, like Bos/Cle. With the addition of Rasheed, Boston's offense will really spread the court, making scoring for Allen, Pierce and Garnett that much easier. Of course, that is only if Rasheed can hold his temper.... plus, who knows, maybe my Sixers will have a banner year, winning might get contagious in Philly all of a sudden!:D

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I hope the Angels upset the Yanks and the Phils. That being said, it will probably be a Phillies-Yankees World Series, in which case I want the Phillies to win (as much as I resent them for beating my Rays last year!).

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think the Rasheed Wallace confidence is a bit misplaced. He's old (not as old as Shaq, but still . . . ). He has indifferent motivation at the best of times. He has a temper. He has completely fallen in love with the 3 pointer/ outside shot such that he is not a worry inside at all. About all I will give him is that, if properly motivated, he can be a defensive demon on other 4's and 5's because he's still reasonably quick and has long arms. I see him as being a better shooting Kevin Garnett without the psycho intense attitude on defense and without any inside presence. He'll probably help, but I don't think he's really going to be a difference maker.

Rondo is much more important for the C's from the perspective that he needs to shoot better and make free throws. He's got freaky skills on the dribble and defense (although not a complete burner like Tony Parker or Chris Paul, his defense makes up for that).

Ray, Paul and Kevin are getting older, so it behooves the other guys to step up if the C's want to make the finals this year.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I saw an interesting analysis by the Mav's former statistician that basically said Rasheed Wallace was the tenth best player of the decade. Basically the stat was a combination of offensive and defensive efficiency, +- points while on the floor and bench, if they improve their teammates play while on the court, and a myriad of other factors. I wish I could adequately explain it, but I cannot.

The same statistic also has Dwayne Wade and LeBron James as better players than Kobe Bryant which is entirely accurate in my opinion.

To give more credence to it, the top player was Kevin Garnett, followed by Tim Duncan,

12. dmc

Media:
    Yeah, except that Kobe has 4 rings, Dwyane has one and LeBron has zero. Garnett has one and Sheed has one. When you look at where it counts, you look at Shaq, Kobe and Timmy. (I wonder how that works for Robert Horry :))

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I tend to undervalue rings compared to other people. Supporting cast is huge.

Bryant has a better jump shot that James, but that's about it. He also may have a mental edge, but his teammates are simply better. When I watch Wade he just seems like the best player in the league talent-wise. However, they are all very close, along with Anthony.

A dominant big man certainly helps and that's why O'Neal and Duncan certainly deserve all the accolades they recieve.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Apparently so. Most people tend to value rings more - even Hall of Fame selectors. This is especially true in football. Take Tom Brady as an example here. He has had one monster statistical season and two other good (but by no means great) ones. However, he is considered a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Why? Because he won three Super Bowls and played in a fourth. And that's how it is all over football. Terry Bradshaw was an above average but by no means great QB statistically throughout his career. Same thing with Joe Namath. Why are they in the Hall? Super Bowl Rings. If you don't have a ring, you have to put up near legendary numbers to get in the hall. In terms of QBs, the only guys I can name in the hall without a ring who have played since the 1970s are Dan Marino and Dan Fouts - and they were regarded as the best players in their position...

15. Blades of Vanatar

Kobe is the best for one reason. When it's needed, in the big game, he comes thru. Just like MJ, Magic and Bird.... Until Wade and LeBron can do that, they won't get the recognition. You can talk supporting cast all you want, but Kobe had Derek Fisher as the other guard last year. The only other star was Gasol. LeBron can do more things on the court than Kobe, but that doesn't win championships, coming thru in the clutch during the playoffs does. That is what makes him great. I say this hating his guts by the way.;)

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Go Phillies!!! I was at game 5 in Philadelphia when they clinched against the Dodgers, and I have tickets to game 3 of the World Series! It's a great time to be a Phillies Phan! We have suffered for a long time...

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I hope you guys win! Damn Yankees...

I do hate Charlie Manual with a passion though; he is a complete idiot - all the interviews during the All Star Game are absolutely horrendous to watch. He is worse with favoritism than Terry Francona...

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Is Game 4 Sunday night in Philly? The reason I ask is that Sunday afternoon, the Giants are playing the Eagles in Philly. You could have two New York teams playing two Philly teams in two different sports!

19. dmc

Media:
    What, a whole year? You sound like a Red Sox fan now.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Yep. And it makes for some awesome tailgaiting! Talk about going on a bender!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.