1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Remove experience cap?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neapolis, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Neapolis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Now I´m finally in Chap 7 and I´ve 3 Char with 17lv and 2950000points. I´ve to made the decision if I use this cap remover or not,and I ask myself why Bioware made something like this.If I can go over 2950000exp in the game why they put a limit exp? U can tell me the game is not balanced anymore , but if the game give me the chance to go over lv17 why not!If I want to play every little quest in the game I must have the chance to make exp points ! I really dont know what I ´ve to do, if I use the remover do I cheat? I hate cheating
    I never did and I dont want start now. BG2 is the most beautiful game I ever played but I think what bioware made with exp cap is not right, I cannot understand their concept.
    "Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas" (Virgilio)

2. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Using a xp cap remover is of course cheating. The cap isn't there by accident.

This shouldn't stop you though. How you play the game is up to you. I would recommend finish the game without cheating first and after that if you like to cheat go ahead.

3. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Of course that is cheating. But, I guess there is cheating and cheating. And that kind of cheating is not really bad IMHO. I mean if you are already at chap7 with some characters the main difference will be for mages. I mean for fighters they have 3 HPs more (a very little difference), Thaco is decreased by one, usually they already have something like -6 at this level, maybe ST are a bit better. But, there is no particular improvement. For Mages, indeed, it is another story... Time Stop IS on of the most powerful spell.

Well, you can finnish that game without removing the exp cap, then you can try a solo game after without the cap... I'll do that for my 3rd game :).

4. Neapolis Gems: 1/31

Ja I undestand but why can I buy Lv9 Spells ?
    I can use them only If my mage Edwin will be lv18. I mean is everything little contradictory! Dont u agree?

5. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

Well, you can buy lev9 scrolls to cast them directly, as for the Free spell in the UnderDark. You used it directly to free that guy, you didn't write it in your SpellBook, isn't it ?

But, I agree with you, this cap isn't a very good idea IMHO.

6. Orgrim Doomhammer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Cap remover is the only cheat i used in the game. It's fair because all the exp you earn after 2 950 000 should be rewarded.

7. Neapolis Gems: 1/31

No I didnt write them jet, but u give my a great Idea I didnt thought about that THX!

8. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

XP CAP REMOVER FAIR?

MY ARSE IS IT FAIR!

the xp cap is their to stop people making too powerful characters... thus making the game toooooo easy!

YOu have gotta be flipping good to get up to the cap... and you must cheat to get over this (ie restarting the game with an imported 17th level chr).

Only people who want to POWER GAME use it!

9. Who Deany Gems: 1/31

You have get a flipping load of experience to reach the cap and if you remove it it would still take ages to get past this. this would take ages of replaying and this is too easy and boring. Ogrim, what satisfaction do you actually get about repeatedly playing through the game and being able to splat monsters like dragons with a few easy blows? Its absolutely boring if you ask me, but then again I'm not a POWER GAMER.

10. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, actually, I played through every possible quest as a Cavalier and hit the cap early in chapter 6. So then, I decided to use the cap remover and ended up with over 3.6 million XP. Why should a character simply STOP learning at 2.95 mil? Is he retarded? This is like a DM in P&P saying, "Oh, you cant get experience from killing those guys, because then you would become too high of a level and beat my NPC's too easily."

So then, is it not the Cap that is out of place? It serves its purpose well, but should it not be up to the individual? I have come to a point where POWER GAMING is all that remains in the game for me to do, as I have beaten the game from nearly every aspect.

I did not play through the game over again with any of the characters I used to beat the game save a multiplayer that was just for the hell of it. Thus, I really didnt cheat, I just removed an idiotic, inexplicable, insulting brain block.

Amon-Ra

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited December 24, 2000).]

11. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31

The Experience Cap is to make it more challenging. It's your dicision, but I hope you played through it at least once without cheating.

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Firstly, why does anyone need to use the exp cap remover. The characters are powerfull enough without it. Give the game developers a little room for an expansion pack, will you. It made it all the nicer when characters in TotSC could cast more powerfull spells than before the expansion. The only real purpouse of the remover is to give the game a little extra replay value for people who just want to mess around with their character.

13. Destroyer Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Just a thought, maybe someone knows an answer based on how previous Bioware/Interplay games have worked:

You could bring in a character from BG1 to BG2. You can bring your BG2 character to Neverwinter Nights. And hopefully there will be a BG2 expansion pack/BG3 which we can also import our characters to. However:

To me it would seem doubtful that you could bring in characters which have more XPs than the game was designed for. Did this work from BG1 to BG2? And even if it did, what are the odds of it being allowed in Neverwinter Nights, an online game?

So, if you plan on playing some more with your favorite character, you might want to think again...

Of course, I may be completely wrong.

14. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

You are totally right Destroyer :). Well, I won't write my explanation again because I just posted it in another thread. Just look at the other to see why I removed XPs cap at the end of my 2nd game.

I just want to enjoy the game using several ways.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] AFAIK all of your extra experience points get carried over BG1 to BG2. Even though the cap is set, you still keep gaining XP, it just doesn't show in the game.
    I didn't remove the cap, and when I imported my char from Tales of the Sword Coast, he was legit capped at 161k, but imported with 172k XP, which is obviously how much more I got in the expansion over the limit.

As for NWN, you won't export ANYTHING but your character's stats there. So only your ability scores, not even XP. You will start from scratch in both cases.
    So you see, there's really little point in importing your BG2 char into NWN.

16. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

Mea Culpa Tal ;). I thought that XPs were exported to NW too, ok I'm wrong, once again :D.

17. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, then some Joker will import a char with all stats at 25.

18. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

And be promptly banned.

19. Azarial Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think that the exp cap is a good idea. When your character becomes too powerful, it becomes less and less fun. The reason that there are all the extra exps is because the game makers want you to be able to boost up npcs you aquire later in the game.

20. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

But do you not agree that once you have taken all the fun out of the game by beating it several times, it is OK to remove the cap and explore the merits of higher levels?

Amon-Ra

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.