1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Religious text and authenticity

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

2. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
  3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Doesn't the Mormon bible state that the Native Americans are one of the lost Israelie tribes?

Lebor Gabála Érenn or better known in the English speaking world as 'The Book of Invasions' states that the Irish are the descendants of Noah. Of course we know that Celtic Christian monks had changed Irish mythology to be more acceptible to Christians, so such nonsence should be taken with a grain of salt.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Also - isn't it specified in the Bible how large the ark is? As I remember it was nowhere near large enough to hold that many animals.

If the flood was worldwide - how did Noah get to - say - the kangaroos?

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Lots of middle-age (or even earlier I suppose) Christian mythology is a distortion of Celtic and Pagan lore, most of it either changing some Pagan figures into Devil figures, or simply "converting" them into Christian figures. Just look at things like Christmas, Easter, and other Christian holidays: most have Pagan roots, and this still shows in some of the traditions (the dyed eggs, Santa Claus, Hogmanay, and so on)

On the subject of the Flood story in the old testament... it's lifted straight out of the Epic of Gilgamesh, which itself has several older Sumerian myths thrown in, and the Flood story is one of them. It's interesting to compare the 2 versions actually: the Old Testament god is nasty (well, he did kill almost everything on the planet), but the Sumerian gods were much worse: their reason for initiating the flood was really boredom and annoyance at the "noise" that humans made.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Former no, latter yes. She did have a lover at some point, but she wasn't a prostitute. Magdalene actually is place-derived, but it's based on her estates more than any supposed Roman military camp. And her family owned one third of Israel, anyway, so what point being a prostitute?

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Book of Mormon is a record of people that fled Jerusalem apporximately 600 years before Christ (about one of the times it was destroyed or carried into captivity or something for the sins of the people). They were decended from Jacob, who was the father of the sons, whose names are given unto the twelve tribes of Israel.

I don't think they are one of the lost tribes, but decended from one of the tribes that is not lost...

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ironically, despite the massive ammounts of time and money have been spent in the effort, absolutely no archaeological evidence backing up any of the events written about in the book of Mormon have turned up.

9. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Very true, the Book of Mormon doesn't have any historical weight, the book is a religious text, not a literal history.

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have heard of an organization that has found some evidence, but don't know that much about it. It's only something I've heard of.

11. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    It's FARMS, I think...and it's shoddy in it's research methods.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So, the dinosaurs were around at the same time as Adam and Eve. Did they make it onto the Ark as well? Or were they extinct by then?

13. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes. Mormon missionaries have long used that as a way to get Indiginous Americans to join the church.

Recently, someone got around to actually checking the mitochondrial DNA of native Americans and -- surprise -- they don't have a drop of Jewish blood in them. Needless to say many who converted to Mormonism have since lost their faith.

HB, if you are really interested just look up Creationism web sites. There is much lunacy to be found.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hang on. Aren't we ALL descended from a Middle Eastern couple who lived in a garden a few thousand years ago? How can the native Americans possibly not have that same blood? Are you saying they are not descended from Adam and Eve?

15. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ah, but god is all-powerful; if he can flood the world, he can remove all traces of the world having flooded.

Oh, the joys of circular logic.

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    For me religion text are just entertaining fiction. I mean the Genesis and The Apocalypse is somewhat «fun» to read :p .

Also It is said in the (Catholic) Apocalypse (the only bible widely available in my family) that when the Big Bad Satan will come on earth to do evil stuff. Everyone who refuse to bear his mark will die. After in the text it says that Jesus, after seven years, will come and kick Satan's ass and purge the earth of evil. Then he says « Thos who refuse to bear the mark of the devil shall leave with me, those who bear it shall go to hell ». Doesn't that sounds awfully incoherent? I mean there won't be any freakin' human who'll be stupid enough to refuse Satan, he's a freakin' ex- Archangel for crying out loud!

incoherent, but entertaining nonetheless.

18. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Recently I was told by one of the university therapists on the campus I attend that there are people who believe that God put the fossils in a contradictory order, one that defies all the hypothetical flood models, just so that God could test our faith. How many mental hurdles do you have to jump over to get your head around that lunacy?

And he also told me that one of the chaplains, a Salvation Army lady, commited suicide 2 years ago because she was studying philosophy at the university and couldn't handle the way it contradicted her strict Christian belief. It was too much for her, and she lost all her faith because it was shattered by deconstructionalists.

[ October 30, 2006, 12:42: Message edited by: Nataraja ]

19. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Somehow a picture of a little snickering man, placing dinosaur skeletons and stuff, on a newly made earth spring to mind.

20. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Once a hypothesis is accepted, everything can be interpreted to support it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.