1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reliable Hosting?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Wordplay, Jun 13, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    IMHO copyright laws in their current shape are one big rip off tool. The whole construct of getting a license (i.e. obligational legal tie) in a shop like you normally buy goods is a big joke. Crack down on plagiarism, sure. But the whole licensing thing for private users is an absurd.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Chevalier

Maybe, but that is capitalism and we know communism is a failure. What I think is that companies use these licenses to protect their benefits from both the consumer law and, of course, piratism. This is why I refuse to stop looking for a host -by allowing the companies to do like they will without even needing to open the law book only encourages them to press on even more. Naturally, it's the consumer that is the weaker side and this is even admitted in the law of Finland (if I can remember anything from my lessons).

[ June 16, 2005, 17:53: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yeah I was not completely sure about software, but downloading books,music and movies is still legal as far as I know.

A foreign company would go through a different process yes, but still not through you. If your computer holds illegal materials or is used to distribute illegally it will be confiscated no matter how small the crime would be. You would most certainly not face prison but would probably have to pay fines, which would probably be small though. But as I said it's very unlikely that you'd get caught especially if you used an Asian server and if you used a US or an European server they would have you remove all the copyrighted materials anyway.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, right... I'm SO there. :rolleyes:

Morgoroth, copyright is in place to protect the intellectual property of the authors only. It doesn't mean that it allows anyone else to copy anything. It means that only the authors gets to decide who can copy their work, and under what conditions. The notion of private/fair use normally comes into play only when it comes to making copies of something you have already bought. There you are allowed to make backup copies for personal use. But being allowed to literally steal as long as it is only for personal use? That makes no sense whatsoever.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Tal: In a way yes, but morgoroth was exaggerating that you can copy anything as much as you want for private use. That is not the case.

An example would be that you buy a music cd. Then make a copy of it to yourself. Then you can sell the original cd, but not the copy. Also, you don't have to own the the cd, you could also make a copy from a borrowed cd. But once again, software is not in this category. Making copies of software is illegal except for backup purposes.

Private or personal use means within your family or similiar.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It's a legal loophole sure and I'm quite sure it's not very intentional. Why it has not been changed I can't say, the copyright laws were updated a few years ago and it was not fixed then, it will be probably fixed in a few years though.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

You have to try. Small site, remember? But really, it was just layout for the jest. :D
    I assume you won't be reading the books either. What a pity... some of them are really good! You should take at least a peek! :p

Anyway, if there really comes a letter in the post, be it a formal warning or that serious kind, there is always the option of torrenting all the books. Would teach the publishing company a lesson if suddenly 5 or more torrent sites with 10.000x more visitors EACH would have all those precious books available for download; those books they are so desperately trying to protect. :evil:

So just compare and put some reason to the Hunt of Illegal material. And by the way... why are we still talking about the law when it was the morality side that was the more interesting one? :hmm:

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You know, when I want to read a good book, I buy it. Or borrow it from a library. Besides supporting the authors, this also gets me a paper version of the book, which is infinitely easier to read, considering the only way I could read a digital version of a book would be on my computer, and my ass hurts enough from all the time I spend in front of the monitor, so I enjoy getting away from that when I'm reading books.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Yeah, I know what you mean and you are absolutely right. Borrowing a book or buying it as a paper print is a lot more convinient that reading it from a louzy 60 Hz CRT monitor. You can even flex once in a while, have a sip of something warm, and read it any way you want by simply turning the book a little. eBooks are harmless, so you have to wonder why some companies are so insistent in their hunt for "illegal books." Such a small thing, but yet they, and some people, explode right away like it was some "OMG! ILLEGAL WAREZ!" :hmm:

But even if you buy them printed, you might not even support the author as much as you support yet another big-fat-greedy company or association like MPAA or RIAA. Out of the 50 bucks, how much would really go to Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, if you remember my example from the previous page? ;)

10. Taluntain

Media:
    The problem is that most people who pirate or use pirated digital books have handy digital book readers or PDAs or something similar, where reading digital books is easy.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Doubt that, and even if majority did; today's monitors cannot compete with real paper. LCD screen and .PDF format is a nice combo, but the real stuff is always better.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Considering the number of people downloading book warez, it's obviously not as much of an issue for them as it is for me.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

"OMG! ILLEGAL WAREZ!" :shake:

But guess we have said all that is to be said.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Wrong. Making several backups is illegal. Technically, making one backup is illegal under US law. This applies to software, movies, music, and books.

Fine, I fail to see any good morality in robbing someone of their hard work.

Is anyone else getting seriously annoyed at all the corporate bashing?

15. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Rastor: I was talking about finnish copyright laws, and yes, making several backups is legal IF you have a justifiable reason to do so.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.