1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Relationship Rant Thread #4

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bollocks. You're just drunk, that's why you can't remember stuff. Based on what I read on these Boards, there are some men here who never forget anything!

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think forgetting stuff is necessarily a bad thing ;) .

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Enagonios:

It's possible women apply more pressure to their request, but I'm not sure if it's really like that.

@Saber:

Careful there or you could run into the same problems I sometimes do. By continously granting people's request you teach them that requests from them will generally be met. At some point they might take it for obedience and start living as if they are in the position to give you orders.

John Austin, the more or less father of legal positivism defined law as commands, backed by threat of sanctions, from a sovereign, to whom people have a habit of obedience. Now, he meant the laws created by the state and backed by the whole machinery of coercion, but let's take the habit of granting requests from above. The moment you grow into a habit of granting requests and they grow into a habit of just making them like that and expecting it will be granted, they become your sovereign. Of course, you can't compare emotional blackmail or withdrawal of affection or displeasure or hysterical fits with police/army-based coercion, but the principle is the same: you have the habit of obeying them, they expect to be obeyed and they can make you feel bad if they are not (and ultimately most kinds of punishment prescribed by the law come down to make you feel bad, so the difference between emotional rejection and prison is not that awfully big), so basically they get to be your "lawmaker".

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think you are over-analysing things somewhat, chevalier. People shouldn't 'disobey' their partners just to make sure they don't end up becoming too obedient. If you're in a good relationship with someone you'll just naturally usually want similar outcomes from life so thei shouldn't be this constant clash of wills that you're all going on about.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I wouldn't worry about it, Chev. She broke up with me a while back, remember?

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I agree with HB.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Oh, everyone always does Charl, you have to disagree with him as much as possible so he doesn't get too big-headed! ;)

Other news, that girl I'm after texted me last night saying nice things and asking me if I'd like to go out for a drink. That's pretty cool, the door's still open!

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Go Barmy!

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    If I can get in there, I think I'll be the luckiest guy around. She's a real top lass, I can't fault her at all. Out to the pub tonight, not just me and her for this one they'll be a group, but I'll buy her a few drinks and get talking to her ;). I think it just might happen. Guwon the Barms :) .

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I need to vent.

I woke beside a 3 day dead mackeral this morning. No, it's just my stinking husband. :sick: Instead of taking 10 minutes to shower today, he decides a better use of his free time is to *ahem* attend to personal needs *ahem* while reading about lesbian space pirates. He still didn't shower before leaving the house for work.

Why did I marry this dork? Oh yeah, because I didn't want to be the Cat Lady of the niehgborhood. :rolleyes:

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ewwwww... have a word with him! Don't put out till he showers regularly... and let him cook his own meals... and wash his own clothes... maybe he'll pay more attention to his hygiene!

12. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Suggest a romantic (and vigorous) bath? Or shower, even better ;)

13. chevalier

Media:
    @Saber:

I guess you'll have a new one before a month or five have passed. ;)

@Harbs:

Naaah, of course they shouldn't. But they shouldn't just keep granting more and more bothersome requests. You know, when it becomes fetch me this or fetch me that or making rules for your life, then it gets bad.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I agree. But in my experience its very rare when a couple agrees on practically everything, so you have to exercise your right to disagree in certain situtations, i.e. its my friend's birthday and YES i WLL be getting wasted tonight. If you don't feel like gettting drunk that night, that's fine, it ended up being YOUR decision, but if you wanted to and didn't because she gave you a look, that's called whipped, not attentive.

in other news. my gf has been in the USA since xmas and she's coming back on the 21st. at first (when she wasnt having fun) I kept getting text messages about how crappy a time she's having and that she misses me and wants to come home. now, she's having fun and i'm glad, but I feel like I'm getting the cold shoulder. Now I'm not reading anything into this and I'm just venting because the change was pretty abrupt, but if I get a break-up when she gets back, I'm going to be PISSED. I just bought her a ****load of stuff when I went to Thailand last week :rolleyes:

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    kuemper: Tell him he stinks and walk away from him. He needs to know where you place hygiene on your personal level of priorities -- apply that knowledge with a hammer if need be (metaphorically speaking).

Enagonios: Perhaps your first paragraph and second paragraph are not related... perhaps they are.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Or literally, if he doesn't listen the first time. Get a really big one, like a maul.

And yeah, he's gross.

17. chevalier

Media:
    @kuemper: I second the advice given by T2Bruno.

@Enagonios: It's possible you're getting the cold shoulder, but you won't know until she's back. I believe if she wants to leave you, she will, so you won't be suffering from it dragging on for long while making both of you unhappy. It might be a good idea to wait with the things you've bough for her so as not to make the gifts an obligation on her part. Let her decide freely. ;)

18. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

As a teenager, I find that a hilarious.

Though, I shower 3 times a day, due to freakishly high need for cleanliness.

In other news, being single still sucks

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Question: how do you break it to a girl that you don't want to spend every waking minute with them and would rather do something else with your time (for example, watch TV, play a computer game, or generally do something they won't enjoy) without pissing them off?

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Be honest and considerate, Ab. Honesty will win the day. And if it pisses her off and she crosses you... then you know what that means: education time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.