1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Relationship Rant Thread #3

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Enagonios: Nothing wrong with having a friend, but it's always a problem to talk with someone just because he or she is unreturnedly into you. Having a girlfriend or not. ;)

Where your friends are right, however, is that the fact you have a girlfriend doesn't mean you should stop talking to any other female for longer than 15 minutes once a week.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

a bit too much here I think. She's INTO me, not IN LOVE with me :p

hehe, point.

Anyway, the "problem" solved itself. During one of the messages, she was describing a restaurant in her area and said "you should take your girlfriend there." :p

Now, for those of you that don't know, this is a "test the waters" kind of line and the issuer's next move will depend on the type of answer they recieve. While not exactly an expert, I'm no novice either, so I gave the only safe answer there was: "you make it sound pretty good, maybe i will" :D

A denial of having a gf at all would totally screw me, and the "oh, you know i have a gf/know her" answer would definitely spread and screw me eventually :D

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I really ****ed things up with my girlfriend. Really badly. I don't know how it will turn out, and I hope not too negatively (right now 'well' is out of the question, I think), because I love her and I don't think I can handle the idea of her leaving me.

I have an inability to talk, essentially, and I almost talked myself out of our relationship. It sounded like I was accusing her of cheating and that I don't trust her, when all I wanted her to tell me is how she feels about me (because I think in a relationshipe, the two people in it should know what is going on with the other). So when I went to apologize to her about sounding accusative (I didn't mean to), I think I made things worse. I don't feel like going into too much detail other than saying I love her (I am serious, not what most of you will assume because I am 16 years old), and losing her would be absolutely terrible (I don't know how to describe it... awful, horrendous, and mindblowingly unbearable don't seem to quite cover it).

Lovely. :( :sosad:

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Maybe tell her this little part. ;)

Honesty rules all. ;) And don't dramatise...easier said than done, I know. But still. Good luck. :)

5. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, listen to Uytuun. A couple tips from my old cynical self to go with it. Don't let her extrapolate what you said into something more serious or wider or otherwise bigger and guilt-trip you. In other words, don't let her reactions make you feel worse (or more guilty) than you really should. And don't let the fear of losing her prevent you from speaking what you really think when you speak it at all. Good luck. ;)

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think I should give her time... she feels attacked, and I don't want to push it even furthur, because if I have confidence in one thing, it is my lack of articulation when it comes to important matters. Plus I haven't told her that I love her, I'm not sure how she'll react, especially now.

If after a while, I'm still in this chasm I threw myself into, I'll tell her what you two suggested. But for now, I think giving her time is my best option for not ****ing things up even more that I have.

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

*hands Saber a shovel*

Have fun.

And oh, Murphy's law.

On describing the feeling, let me help. Like someone's slowly, over several days, ripping your heart off while sticking needles into it, like someone's bashing your head with a two-by-four while sticking knives in your back, like you're going to die to sheer physical pain alone, nevermind the mental pain, and dying to the physical pain would be considered preferable.

The more you hope and fear, the harder the fall. Take it easy.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Emo alert! Emo Alert!

For the first time in a while, mine is going fine. All quiet on the western front, but I'm okay with it. For now

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Taza is right here. It is a feeling I know too well. That doesen't automatically label us as emos. If so... then [censored].

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

DoTW, that was a joke. I fully understand what he said. I believe I've posted a few pages of it here myself.

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    You know, guys, if an alien came across this board and based his knowledge of the sexes on what you write, he'd think you're enslaved and tortured by a demonic race also known as womankind.

I promise we're only as bad as you are. :p

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Utyuun: What? No! I'm innocent! Innocent! :p

In any case, I just watched an episode of Six Feet Under and boy did that ever take me back down the memory lane. I used to watch that show with my ex and now on hindsight, watching that with my ex was extremely ironic, since because of the last couple of years I can relate to some of the plot twists really well, what with my ex cheating on me and her dad dying and all that...

In any case, I'
    m just wondering...how long does it actually take to get over your past relationship. This is getting really old already and it's hasn't been even a full year yet. I'm sick of every little thing reminding me of her and I'm tired of being alone, but I'm also tired of wanting to be in a relationship so badly. I've been falling in and out of love for several times this autumn and that's getting really tiresome as well.

I want to feel numb. I want it to be like I don't care about the next pretty girl who comes along my way. I want to be oblivious to this primal urge that drives men and women together and makes them do foolish things in the name of love. For instance, I have to go to every single possible party before christmas so that I'd meet this one girl with whom we might have a mutual interest towards each other. :doh: I almost called her last night, but we're not that close, so it was a good thing that I didn't. If I don't see her this year, I know where to reach her in the spring. It's just so hard to wait until spring so that I might have only a possibility of knowing what's going on between the two of us. Damn.

@Taza: You're speaking my language. That feeling I got to know only too well. About two weeks before we finally decided to separate with my ex it was like that. Every single day. Reminding myself what that was like is quite efficient if I start to miss my ex too much.

13. chevalier

Media:
    Depends. Also on the aspect you're considering. I remember making moves on someone else one day after being turned down, but on the other hand, there are things that I still don't quite feel like talking about too much.

Poor you. ;) I sort of know the feeling. But it's destructive. I think it would be better to contact her and ask if she would go with you... or even just ask if she's going to be there - because otherwise you won't go (which is true) or because you hope you'll meet her there. You could always offer to meet up in a cafe and talk a bit or go somewhere else. Chances are she feels the same and wouldn't mind an opportunity to get to know you a bit (before making any decisions or moves) or even just some company.

14. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I just met someone new, and I'm absolutely terrified of the "Oh, my God, am I more into them than they're into me?" syndrome. Just how many texts or phonecalls a day is acceptable? I've never been too good at telling the difference. All I know is that after long periods of estrangement (Meaning over 20 minutes) I have the overwhelming urge to text and phone and email over the top until I've successfully scared away the likely candidate.

So do you wait for them to text/call/email you first every time, or do you send the occasional message just to make sure they're still alive?

I've been known to scare peeps away in the past by being too 'into' someone and I'm anxious not to make the same mistake again, as I really really like this one.

By the way, I'm rubbish at this as you can tell, so any help would be well appreciated :o

@Iko, supposedly it takes 3 months to get over someone for every year you were together. This is (Obviously) a generalisation, but where love's concerned, isn't everything?

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The golden rule is to put yourself in their shoes and try and think about how your behaviour would look in through their eyes (sorry about the mixed metaphor there).

16. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I've always found the line from Better then Ezra's "Hung the Moon" "Always remember don't let the words you held leave your head" worked best when relating with women.

I understand what is typically considered to female communication style in theory, but always fail miserably when it is put into practice. Unfortunately society puts such a premium in assertive communication. As much as being assertive is suppose to respect the feelings of others, it fails to take the desires of others into account. Studies show that women communicate in such a way that takes others feelings into account and does not push their own desires, but that sure as hell doesn't stop them from getting mad when you think their communication style is that of them asking you want to do with out returning the favor.

I swear, life would be infinitely easier if the two sexes spoke the same language.

17. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@ Jan - All I can say is don't over do it. How long have you known each other? Does she ever call / text you? And lastly how does she react when you call her? Does she seem keen to talk or are the conversations short? If its the latter then maybe you need to slow things down and build up a relationship. If she is keen when you call her then still dont "suffocate" her, if she has the same feelings for you than she'll look foward to you calling, so leave her wanting more of you! In my opinion though 20 minutes is far too shorter time to be contacting her, again it depends on how advanced the relationship, if it's quite a new one then I'd say once a day or every few days, give her a call and see how she reacts. If she starts calling you out of the blue then thats a good sign and you can keep in touch with her more often. Hope that makes some sort of sense. :thumb:

18. chevalier

Media:
    I guess you can avoid double-sending and take some time to reply to the longer stuff. The shorter stuff you can reply as it arrives. "I'll phone you," kind of thing means around 3 days, but 2 will be good as well. Don't specifically ask her to reply (...but be a smart boy and ask a question or two that doesn't look overly rhetorical). Don't pull her tongue if she doesn't want to talk about something. And this is probably all.

19. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Slight exaggeration on my part :lol: We've been texting each other a few times each day so far (As much on her part as mine) so I think I've managed to find a happy medium.

Got a date tonight so it seems to be going well! :roll: Wish me luck!

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    So.... the guy I am in love with, posts a rant on his blog about how he abso****ingluflutely never wants to fall in love again... you can imagine how confused this makes me feel. *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.