1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Relationship Rant Thread #3

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Meh, I shpuld have told her how I felt about ehr before I left the country.

Probably never get a better chance at it now.

Ah well....

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Platonic relationships are easy: simply treat her like a log of wood and there you have it. ;)

Interestingly enough, then they might start blaming you of being arrogant and "not giving them enough attention." :rolleyes:

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

ah, the old "When harry met sally" debate eh ;)

my opinion? yes, it's possible. but if one of friends (be it the guy or girl) finds the other attractive, in the long-run it'll come out somehow.

hehe i still remember billy crystal explaining to meg ryan that a man still couldn't be friends with even an ugly girl because the sex thing would STILL be there as long as she was a woman. priceless :D

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I hate nightshifts. Just not being in bed with my girlfriend is really really sad. I miss her so. :sosad:

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

And I hate dayshifts. I need a woman who is also a night person, because otherwise it won't work. I mean, I go to bed at 5AM (later during the weekends), work at 2PM, get out of work at 10PM, so my evening starts when a dayshift person's end.

6. Shaitan

:D That will change when you get a baby :grin:

7. Disciple of The Watch

...what makes you think I actually want kids?

The life of working 9 to 5, having a wife (that part I may reconsider), kids, and a mortgage doesen't especially appeal to me.

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Kids are more a byproduct of circumstance then desire.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    alwyys remember: Kids in the dark cause accidents, accidents in the dark cause kids. :p

10. Disciple of The Watch

One word: contraception.

11. Shaitan

Still it's not a guarantee. Getting a kid sort of getting one (or at least me) addicted. :hahaerr:

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hear Hear! (or is it Here Here?)

I heartily agree.

Damn those conniving rubbers, always foiling the contraceptivish plan.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Those little rubbers are the best thing since sliced bread, if it wouldn't be of them I'd likely have four or five snot-nosed rugrats running around. Nine hells know I DON'T want that.

But enough, we're getting off-topic.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yep, another rubber-fan here. I am way too young and unprepared to have kids. And while condoms may not work 100% of the time, the chance of you dropping one is at least reduced.

15. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My cousin got knocked up a couple of years back while she was on the pill on the boy friend was using condoms. She didn't want a kid at 19-20.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    &&

And that's the problem. Contraception doesn't actually work all the time not only because of inherent failure rate or less than perfect use, but also sheer number of intercourses people have while thinking they are protected. Law of great numbers, anyone?

The solution is simple: don't want children, don't have sex. Otherwise children are either aborted or born and seen as a bother, a byproduct, an everlasting price for a moment of pleasure. Parents become bitter in addition to the fact they can't be arsed to spend some time upbringing their children because they are so preoccupied with themselves. Sex, in turn, becomes a pleasure paid for in fear and stress, plus the pleasure-oriented approach can never bring true happiness. It will always be consumptionist pleasure with a clock tickling over your head and a moral hangover in the morning. Personally, I would find that kind of existence quite degrading, but I'm not going to spend all my day convincing you.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Heh, I didn't say I didn't like them, I just said that they always seem to go wrong for the people who don't want kids... (and when adults have un-rubbered sex because they want kids, they never get them... figures)

18. Disciple of The Watch

Chev... as much respect as I have for you, our views on this topic will forever diverge, and you know it as well as I do. That would be once again bringing in the sex before marriage and safe sexual practices topics, which are cans of worms.

But, I will still give my :2c: on the topic.

I personally will not deny an act of trust and love (the act of sex, that is) because of the damocles sword of snot-nosed rugrat spawning waves above my head - if the rubbers aren't enough, just use some spermicide.

It's well-known that I'm not a fan of snot-nosed rugrats running around the house, and it's for that reason that abortion exists - I prefer to have a kid on my conscience rather than being stuck with it. Age might get me to change my views (when Heaven burns down to ashes), but I personally don't think so.

Enough of the off-topic. To quote Beren "relationships often straddle the barrier between Whatnots and AoDA". If any of you want to pursue the topic of safe sexual practices, see ya in the Alleys.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    More like contraception, actually, but all of it ultimately boils down to the vision of sex as an act with some meaning or as a need of the body. My point here is that "safe" sex is actually the opposite of safe because it's marked by fear of a very natural consequence. Most people have some guilty pleasure episodes in their lives, but how long can it last.

An act of trust and love or an act of satisfying a bodily need, justified by ideas of love and trust?

Would you go to jail for it too if it were treated like normal homicide? Because your words make it clear you see it as something close, even if not actually the same.

Go ahead and open some if you wish so. ;)

20. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

*sigh* Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Dammit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.