1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommendations please.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Jul 2, 2003.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The First 7 books of the wheel of time are awesome, the 8th sux IMHO the 9th is good and the 10th goes nowhere but has alot of good info,the series is.IMHO, as good or better than the sword of truth. the Belgariad, Mallorean, Tamuli, and Elenium by David Eddings(4 diff. series). The Gord the Rouge series by Gary Grygax(old but good). The Drenai by David Gemmel. The Earthsea books are different but very good. The Riftwar Saga, and the Empire by Raymond E. Feist. The Xanth and the Apprentice adapet series' by Piers Anthony are also very good.The Moonshae trilogy and its sequel(cant remember its name) are fairly good. Debt of Bones by Terry Goodkind is pretty good(its before the boundries went up). The Heroes trilogy is good(dragonlance) cant remember author, havent read it since i was 10. The Dragonsong series(i think thats the name) was different but good(i dont remember the author).

[ July 10, 2003, 06:57: Message edited by: LoS_DrIzZt4 ]

2. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

yea

go with DUNE...but don't just stop with the first three....

<puts on the flame proof vest>

...and go with all the prequels to. While they're not Herbert....it's nice to have the origins as well.

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As mentioned before, Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality, Apprentice Adept, and Xanth series are good reads. I also liked LeGuin's Earthsea triolgy. The Dune series is definitely required reading.

I've got to recommend Andre Norton's Witch World books, either the series or the many novels that take place in the same world.

The Dragons of Pern series is written by Anne McCaffrey and is a good set of books. I also liked her Rowan series.

Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series is a generally good read and a personal favorite.

4. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Since all the others have pretty much covered up the mythological fantasy chapter i will recommend you some books from science fiction chapter which are:
    Dune read it. It's a must
    Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona lisa, Virtual Light, from William Gibson i believe you know the guy read his books they are awesome.
    Starship Troopers, The Godmakers by Frank Herbert (the writer of Dune).
    These for starters i hope that if you choose them you will enjoy them as much as possible :cool:
    Have a great time in your holidays :thumb: and take a dive for us unlucky ones who are stuck in the big cement cities :)

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Axis Trilogy is very very wonderfully brilliantly brilliant. Go get it. :D
    And get The Silmarillion, as slow as it is it is one of the most interesting books I've read.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Thanks for the replies everyone, these are my choices:

Dragonlance, Chronicles Trilogy
    George RR Martin, Clash of Kings
    The colour of magic, first discworld novel
    First book of the wheel of time.

I saved the rest of the replies for next years, thanks a lot :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.