1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommend a Programming Language

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Master of Nuhn, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Haha! I thought you were being funny by mentioning some total unrelated job. Like "I studied metaphysics! I'm a nurse now." But I looked up COBOL and you actually made sense. :)
    I doubt I pick it up, though. But it's good food for thought.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I still suggest going with BASIC for starting out. BASIC is an acronym for "Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code".

I do NOT recommend COBOL. The whole way of handling Input and Output is weird, and it is NOT designed for interactive programs, but more for batch programs. I also took ONE class of COBOL when I had my ill-fated attempt to goto NIU. I wound up breaking my wrist and being forced to drop out because the school wouldn't give me any accommodations for having my writing hand in a cast while I could NOT write legibly with my left hand. (My handwriting is bad enough with my right hand, to the point where my English 102 teacher, upon turning in the first in-class writing, asked if my major was pre-med).

As for programming helping you with understanding games, it probably won't help much with playing them, but it can help immensely with modding them. Also with "hacking" save game files for cheating. It can also help you understand scripting things like in the Neverwinter Nights Toolset.
    I'm not just talking about coding per sae, but being able to make mods by altering game data files.

Some important concepts to pick up relating to the above are how computers store memory in "reverse order", understanding IF-THEN-ELSE structures, the concepts of variables and the different types, of which the archetypes being floating point, integer, arrays and strings (which is often a subtype of array), loops, flags, special characters and codes like EOF and newlines, and what structured programming is.
    Also, learn to use different number bases, specifically binary, hexadecimal, and ocatal (the latter is important for Linux and C, but usually unimportant for many other languages.). Every programmer needs to be able to work with binary and hexadecimal. An understanding of binary is important for working with flags.

That is, if you are learning to be able to better understand and mod games. There are a lot more general concepts that any good into-level tutorial should teach, but I'm pointing out things that are related to modding.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Haha, Cobol is one of the languages that could make you a millionaire. Large government agencies have systems running on Cobol, but most of the developers retired so there is no one to maintain those systems.

@SlickRCBD
    I only work for small startups, so I have yet to see an HR drone :D

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just found it ridiculous that it took 3-4 pages of code to write a "Hello World" in COBOL.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds later... ----------

For comparison, in BASIC, which includes Integer BASIC (Apple II), AppleSoft BASIC (everything after the original Apple II) or GW-BASIC (aka BASICA, included with all versions of MS-DOS), and compatible with QBASIC (included in MS-DOS 5.0 and later, along with Windows 95 and 98), the entire program code would be:
    Code:
    10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD!"
    20 END

I believe that in all of those dialects, you could drop the second line.

---------- Added 0 hours, 6 minutes and 7 seconds later... ----------

In ANCI C it would be
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
    printf("Hello World!");
    return 0;
    }

Although every compiler I know of would let you use "void main()" and drop the "return 0".
    In C++ it's
    Code:
    #include <iostream.h>

int main()
    {
    cout << "Hello World!";
    return 0;
    }

again, it could be written as
    Code:
    #include <iostream.h>

void main()
    cout << "Hello World!";

by most compilers, but it doesn't conform to strict ANSI standards (main is supposed to return an integer error code to the OS, with 0 for "no error, everything exited normally").

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.