1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rearranging the stats of the NPCs

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Sep 1, 2006.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

All up for the houserules Fel! And since you gotta houserule just to have a dwarf mage anyways... Gatekeeper to the rescue...

Bassil: I still think it would have been a fun idea. Though i would probablly have wanted to redused slightly on some of the more extreme characters as well, even if i do know its not very popular :p (i think i mentioned something about this earier in this thread or in some other thread, forgot, nobody like it of corse ;) )

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

shar-teels high int and abyssemal constitution bugs me, the rest of the npc's have some odd stats but are generaly fine, but shar-teel while hard hitting and smart dies, if looked wrong upon.

that re-alocation of stats i can at least say is a good idea.

3. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Trying with all my willpower NOT to get into debates about AD&D's incredibly broken mechanics or what importance "roleplaying"(as people are using the term here) has in games of tactical simulation.

The NPCs that immediately leap to mind for me are:

Quayle who has a flail in his inventory and proficiency with said weapon but with his STR of 8, cannot USE the weapon(not even CLOSE! I think the minimum required STR is 13!).

And Shar Teel. Even if I thought the "roleplaying" argument had any weight I cannot see how a woman with 9 CON survives long challenging male warriors to duals across the realm.

4. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG]
    Exactly! Things like this are my point, Clerics with low wisdom and so on.

5. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Actualy, this is a flaw(for a lack of better term) of second edition ad&d rules, where warriors don't need any other abilities then STR, DEX and CON. A fighter with 3 INT is pretty equal to fighter with 15 INT(and let us not start the debate about ilithids and their brain sucking!). It's pretty much the same thing with WIS and CHA. Third edition rules changes that so that you can't drop any of those stats(INT, WIS and CHA) lower than 8 without facing some serious drawbacks. It makes fighte much more interesting to play(at least in pnp, crpg can't do much about that).

I used to made characters with three point in INt or CHA, but that was before i started learning about the rules. Now, I rather drop charcter strengt to 14 or 15, and raise his INT to 10 or 12. It makes the character much more realistic, lifelike and enyojable. I can't envision the fighter with 18 in STR, DEX and CON wandering around the world with 3 in INT. I can envision the following scenario:

"Me Mordokai! Who you be?"

"Hi, you must be new to our pleasent town. It's so nice to meet you on this lovely day. Would you like to come to our house for a welcoming tea party tommorow night?"

"Little man talk funny. Makes me head hurt. Me smash funny talking little man!"

"What the..."

So, the point I'm trying to get to you here would be, it's ok for fighter to have a few points in INT, even if that makes him a tad weaker. It also makes him more believable.

6. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Quote:
    "Actualy, this is a flaw(for a lack of better term) of second edition ad&d rules, where warriors don't need any other abilities then STR, DEX and CON."

Actualy, there is no such flaw in second edition Ad&d rules. If your gaming group wishes to implement non-weapon proficiencies you will find use and need for a balanced pc.

I am not in favor of dumping any stat to a 3 just to load up another. 9 or 10 is average int. and I would not want a pc with int. below this, fighter or otherwise. But to build a fighter with int. well above this, to what purpose? Especially in an npc who does not exhibit this level of intelligence. And in the case of Shar-Teel, her chr. should be at a level that maches her personality.
    In my opinion a warrior should be wise and charismatic if he is intended to be a leader, otherwise a INT 09 WIS. 08 CHR. 10 is not an unacceptable character. If you are wanting a leader type I have no problem with a warrior looking like STR.15 DEX.16 CON.15 INT.13 WIS.12 CHR.15.
    13 is a high int. you can even have a useable mage with a 14 int. If you want a fighter like this then stick to RPG's or find a CRPG that reflects a need for this type of role playing. As I said "I fully understand the concept of roleplaying".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.