1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Really? No Super Bowl thread again?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Drew, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Come on people! Last year was one of the best super bowls in history, almost on par with Super Bowl 22, and I ended up starting that one, too. This year was, for all practical intents and purposes, a repeat of 22 with different players, and no one feels the need to start a thread about it? I'm disappointed in you guys...

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wish I was in the French Quarter on Sunday night...

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I haven't commented because I didn't feel passionately (positively or negatively) about either team, I felt either team could win, and therefore wasn't particularly suprised by the result.

I have to admit that I don't know who played in SB 22, or whether or not it was a good game, but I am presuming you mean SB 42, as SP did not exist in the late 80s.

4. Drew

Media:
    Your right, I was talking about 42, but the 22 (Redskins vs Broncos) reference was intentional. While SP (or commercial internet, for that matter) didn't even exist yet, most of us are old enough to have seen that game. In the thread for 42, which I started, I referred to that game as the best Super Bowl I'd seen since Super Bowl 22.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This year's game was a very good game to watch. Not as high scoring as many of us expected it to be, but very enjoyable.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

This year's game was so much better than the last few years (last year sucked, and the Pats-Giants game sucked worse) - both teams played really well, and it was never a foregone conclusion who could win (even when the Colts were down by 14).

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Are you a Redskins fan? Now that you told me who played, I distinctly remember that game. IIRC, the Redskins set a record by scoring five TDs in the second quarter. The game was over by halftime. How was that a good game?

This year the Saints didn't score the go-ahead TD until there was a little over five minutes to play, and the game was still undecided until the Manning interception was returned for a TD. IMO, the only similarity I can see in the games is that the team that took an early lead went on to lose.

Are you a Patriots and Cardinal fan? Or a Steeler or Giants hater? Or a combination of both? Both the Pats-Giants and Steelers-Cards game were decided in the final minute. I thought both were spectacular games, and pretty much everyone else does (Pats and Cards fan excepted, of course).

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    He's a disgruntled Pats fan. Everyone except specific Pats fans & Giants haters absolutely loved that superbowl because of the end of the perfect season, the underdog winning, the back and forth of the game and especially the fourth quarter, and the fact that it wasn't well and truly over until the very end.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Right - and many of those properties apply to last year Cards-Steelers game as well. (At least the back and forth nature of the contest, and the fact that it wasn't over until the final minute.) As a Pats fan, I can understand why he didn't like the Pats-Giants SB. If I were a Pats fan, I'd likely feel the same way. But is he also a Cards fan and/or a Steelers hater? If the former, why the sports bigamy? If the latter, why does he hate a team that the Pats absolutely PWN every time they play (except the year Brady was hurt)?

10. Drew

Media:
    Not only was I a Redskins fan (I grew up in VA), but I had a lot of money riding on it (well, not really -- but 20 bucks is a lot of money to a 10 year old ;)). I also really wanted Denver to lose.

You're entirely right, of course. They really weren't that similar.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I was at at work, so I can't really comment. Though I did manage to see three plays and they were all very important :p

1)Missed Indy field goal
    2)Two-point conversion
    3)Interception return for TD

Given my sample size I thought the game must have been thrilling :grin:

12. Saber

I am disgruntled, but even before the last minute, it was an absolute mess of a game. No one caught anything, both quarterbacks sucked majorly (I can't even remember specifics now, but I do recall groaning throughout most of the game as Brady bumbled his way through and Manning was himself... useless), and up until the last minute, it was boring as balls. And of course, for me, the last minute was obviously a heartbreaker (which is a different kind of suck, it can still be a good game and a heartbreaker). It wasn't that Manning was good, because he isn't (he is the best case of hit or miss - one week he'll throw 3 TDs and have 300 yards, the next he'll throw 3 INT and have 50 yards) - it was that the Pat's defense choked majorly, which is not fun to watch.

As for last year, it was terrible because of the sheer number of penalties. Again, I do not recall numbers, but it was just annoying to watch because everytime someone got somewhere, they'd be called back for holding or something. I was not as invested, but it was just a poorly played game.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This year's game was one of the better games. Last year, as Saber has pointed out, was really sloppy and full of broken/bad plays. This year's game was of two technicians at QB trying to pick apart the opposing D's. It was a pleasure to watch. Brees especially. He took exactly what Indy was giving him and didn't force anything. Great game plan.

14. Saber

I am glad the Saints won - Brees deserves recognition for coming back from an injury and helping the Saints back to becoming a great team (obviously it was not all his doing, but having a strong, consistent quarterback is huge for recovering teams).

15. Blades of Vanatar

I agree. Where I like Peyton, I think he is already going to be the greatest QB of all-time, he didn't need this win. It was nice to see Brees get the Victory, it definitely put him in the top-echelon of QBs.

16. Saber

o.0 THE greatest of all time? He's won one Super Bowl... sure, he has great numbers, but at the end of the day, it is the rings that prove he can play against the big guys. I would argue that he and Brady are on the same level of greatness (and not just because I am a Pats fan) - what he has in straight numbers over Brady, Brady has in rings and pulling his team up by himself.

I think both aspects (numbers and leading) are a factor - Peyton has always had one or two excellent recievers to dump the ball to, leading to extraordinary numbers, while someone like Brady (except in recent years with Moss) has had to make do with what he is given. I am just using Brady as an example of someone I think is on caliber with Peyton, not saying Brady is one of the best ever.

I think I am just biased against Peyton because I ****ing hate his advertisements - he comes off as an arrogant douche in them.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Rings are only part of the formula. It is a team game. Kickers have cost him a few playoff oppurtunites in the past. But Peyton can pick a defense apart. Montana could as well, so can Favre. But Joe was surrounded by alot of other greats. On both sides of the ball and with arguably the greatest head coach. Who would you put above Peyton?

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I hate it when people judge a player just by how many championships they get. I mean, it's a team sport, you can't do everything. Dan Marino is a top 5 QB ever if you ever watched him, but by rings? No he's behind Trent Dilfer.

19. Blades of Vanatar

I always thought of Marino as a choker, like Norman and Mikelson. He was damn good and I do rate him as #5 alltime, though I never seen the likes of Tarkenton, Unitas, Starr, Baugh, etc.... Peyton, Montana, Favre, Unitas then Marino. Marino was just a better version of Fouts to me. I also like Elway in the mix, but it's hard to put him above Marino and his numbers.

Rings don't mean squat to me unless they came with the SB-MVP trophy as well. Bradshaw and Aikman have a few rings, but I would never call either one of them great. They just played on great teams. I think Kelly was twice as good as Aikman, though he couldn't win a SB against Dallas to save his life. But getting there 4 straight years says alot about him.

20. Saber

We are in the age where a quarterback IS the team - they lead it and they control it. If they have 3 rings, they must be doing something right...

No, the rings are not the be-all-or-end-all (as I said before), but a guy who has spectacular numbers but can't seem to win in the playoffs? Not nearly as important as a guy who has great numbers and consistently wins when it counts.

As for who is better, honestly, I cannot say as I do not know much about football history. But I think it is hard to claim that someone is the best player who ever lived a) while they are still playing, and b) because unless they throw 10,000 yards a season with 100 TDs and win the SB every year, it is a very subjective claim.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.