1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reader's Digest Virtue Test

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by War Nerve, Apr 4, 2005.

1. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Although this isn't a recent study (2001), perhaps you'll find the following "survey" as interesting as I always have.

I'm going to give a brief summary of this test. Reader's Digest dropped large numbers of wallets filled with pictures, cash, credit cards, and more importantly, a means with which to return them including names and phone numbers in cities spread throughout different countries. Each country earned a score based on the number of wallets returned. If you'd like to read the complete article, it can be found here.

The percentages are as follows:

Denmark - 100%
    Norway - 100%
    Singapore - 90%
    Australia - 70%
    Japan - 70%
    US - 67%
    UK - 65%
    Holland - 50%
    Germany - 45%
    Russia - 43%
    Philippines - 40%
    Italy - 35%
    China - 30%
    Mexico - 21%

I feel that the countries earning 90% and greater truly have something to be proud of.

What's your reaction to this? Do you believe that surveys such as these, despite their inherent randomness, can be accurate in portraying a country's common morality in general? Please elaborate.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Form the article:
    And still they score 45%?

Wondered why China, Russia, Philippines and Mexico are low on the list? Because they are poor countries, duh.
    Do you call it a good test of *kuch* honesty *kuch* when you drop 50 dollars in one country, where it is a years income and 50 dollars in another country where it's peanuts?
    Following this test, we can assume that nobody in Africa is honest, they will probably even answer "no" for "yes" and "yes" for "no", because none of the wallets will ever return.

[ April 04, 2005, 13:34: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hehe yeah ;) Seriously, I'm surprised we [philippines] got as high as 40%. They must have dropped them in our trendier malls. And mothers or something musta picked them. :/

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Morgoth: It's not 'Math Digest.'

They've done this for different cities in America -- not even Salt Lake City gets 100%.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't think the test is fair, they could be dropped the wallets into crime hotspots in the countries that scored lower and richer cities in Denmark, Norway etc for the higher scores.

As for the UK, its stupid as England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland have different lifestyles, so its unfair to lump them into one catagory.

6. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I agree with Cesard. To truly account for the virtuosity of any nation, you would have to drop the same number of wallets in both poor and rich cities. I would believe that would change the outcome of the "test." And what does it matter anyway, does this mean if you lose your wallet in Norway, you have a hundred percent chance of getting it back? :bs: To be completely accurate, you would have to drop one wallet for every person in that country where only the one person could find it, then see how many are returned. I would be surprised if more than half were sent back, but maybe that's because I am a cynical american.

7. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hey, of course this test is not to be taken too seriously. They dropped the purse, they counted, that's it. It is not like Moody's ratings would depend on this.

And in contrast to what Morgoth said:

That's probably why those who look like they could use $50 are poor whereas the others are affluent. ;)

8. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm not rich (at all), but I'd return the wallet. Would the money be enticing? Certainly. But I couldn't live with myself afterward.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    One would think that in richer districts, the percentage of wallets returned should be higher. But here's from the article:

However, this may be different for rich and poor countries. Incidentally, the highest scoring are among the richest countries. Doesn't mean the low-scoring countries are all poor.

Speculating about the fairness of the test is difficult. $50 is different money in China than in Sweden, but it's also different for tin scavengers and smartly dressed people. Next, it still isn't certain if increasing the monetary worth will increase the temptation. There are people who would return $50 but would keep $5000 because the gain would be so much greater. Then there are those who would keep $50 but wouldn't keep $5000 because it would hurt someone else too much.

Next important thing is that the wallets dropped in Mexico or China could have looked like fat rich Westerners' wallets. Not like this makes it morally proper, but people in third world countries tend to blame fat rich Westerners for all their economic problems (and they aren't as wrong as we would like them to be) and they might have been thinking that for them it was months gain while spare change for the owner.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm not sure why this was in AoLS... moving.

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They talked about Canada in the article, but they never gave a percentage. I remember my dad lost his wallet about four years ago, and almost two years after that a man returned it saying he had found it while working under a bridge near our house. It was ruined by the weather, but still had everything that was in it when he lost it. It made me feel good to be a human at that time, knowing the extent someone would go, years later to return the wallet. There was a news story a while back of someone who lost their wallet something like 60 years ago, and recently had it returned. If I find the article I'll post a link.

Found the link: Second last article.

[ April 05, 2005, 21:39: Message edited by: reepnorp ]

12. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

What I want to know is how many of the wallets were returned without the cash. I've had my wallet returned by mail before but no cash was in it. The note that I found inside said that the person had seen somebody pick it up empty it and drop it in a nearby garbage can then leave. The good samaritan retrieved the wallet and shipped it to me, according to the return information I have in my wallet.

edit:
    This is probably what happened to the missing wallets in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.