1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rayic Gethras

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kevin14, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Kevin14 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How do i defeat rayic gethras? He gets that kind of shield around him and my guys hits don't hurt him.

2. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

When the "shield" gets up, go back down stairs and wait, that might help, but sometimes he follows you down or you could cast breach, to remove his protection

3. Kevin14 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] But why do i want to run away from him? I need to kill him for Mae Var. I don't have breach to kill him either. Any suggestion on where to find the breach spell so i can kill him for Mae.

4. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I just casted spells at hom until his protecion went down and then I killed him.

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] Cast dispell magic. You REALLY REALLY need to get breach though. There are so many mages like him in this game! Not to mention Irenicus! Try the Adventurer's Mart in Wakeen's Promanade or the magic shop there. Also behind Ribald is a women who sells scrolls. I never had any problem finding it.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 19, 2001).]

6. Kevin14 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Okay. Now i have the breach but i don't have anybody that can learn it. I have Jaheira(don't quite know the names right), Anomen, Yoshimo,Minsc, my created character who is a barbarian. I'm really stuck with this. I had Nalia but that guy took her. Man, do i need her back, she had so many of my spells. Geez, i hope you guys can help so i can defeat this idiot and move on to do other missions. I know i can move on, but i want to complete with one first. Thanks for all of the help. I appretiate it. Thanks again.

7. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Go and pick up a mage NPC, like Nalia in the Copper C. or Aerie in the circus tent. You can also go get Jan in the Govenrmrnt District. You NEED a Magic User in your party.

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Ok if you don't mind putting someone in your party temporarily, you can go get Jan (location: Government District first, or in his house in the Slums if you've talked to him already) or Aerie (circus tent in Waukeen's Promenade). Both of those can cast Breach for you. They probably won't be high enough to learn it, that's not a problem, put it in their quickslot for items and use it that way. It uses up the scroll in the process but there are enough Breach scrolls around, losing one won't hurt you.

Another alternative is to remember you don't have to send everyone up the stairs to fight him, it could just be you and Minsc,while you can use your barbarian's special "rage" ability and Minsc can use his special berserk ability. Then you can have at it. This will really help.

A few extra things: breach is good in taking away spell protections, but just one. If he gets up a Protection from magical weapons use normal weapons or your fists. If he gets up a protection from normal weapons than you have to have magic weapons to hurt him.

Hope this helps.

9. Demonater351 Guest

Kevin, I assume that when you meant Nalia was taken, you meant she was arrested by Isaea Roenall. It's easy to get her back. After she is taken, a soldier will approach you and tell you that to get her back, you have to ruin Isaea's reputation. First, go to the Docks District and talk to a pirate named Barg. He's just south of the Sea's Bounty Tavern, and will tell you that Roenall hired him for piracy, and will direct you to a slaver in the Tavern. Go to the Sea's Bounty. On the lower floor, in the lower righthand corner is the slaver (I forget the name, Officer something-or-other). You'll have to kill him after you talk to him, but he will drop a document that implicates Roenall in slaving activities. Next, go to the Government District, to the Roenall Estate (it's next to the Council of Six building). In one of the chests is a ledger indicating Roenall embezzles gems. Now, take the document and ledger to Corgeig Axehand in the Council of Six Building, and mention that Roenall is engaged in piracy, and Axehand will put Roenall under arrest and free Nalia. Good luck! :)

10. Try a remove fear spell. Gethras' Symbol, fear spell can get nasty. You may want to get Nalia back; she's the mage that'll level up the fastest and thus probably can already cast breach. If Gethras is too difficult, you may want to just put him on hold for a while.

11. Kevin14 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks for all the help. you guys really know this game well. I appreciate all the help.

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Rayic Gethras is a tough nut to crack. He's stoneskinned right from the start, so backstabbing is no option. I agree that countermagic like breach or tougher stuff is very helpful.
    I, anyway, like to point out that jaheira's insect plague spell is very effective on him.

13. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Several things here.
    You seem to be new to BG2 so a few basic hints here for you. (Nothing to do with your current situation but really help)
    • Go into options (O key) and select gamplay then auto-pause and pick things that will help. I use when a trap is found, a player is so many % injured and if an enemey is sighted to stop me getting caught out.
    • Use your space bar A LOT, when ever something happens that you don't know what it is, (A spell or effect) pause and look up your text at the bottem to see how to combat it.
    • Try to have a party or at least.
      1 fighter
      1 mage
      1 thief
      1 Cleric\Druid
      to see this look in records. (R)
    • If you see an enemey run away then use a thief to hide in shadows and scout them out.

Now to your predicament
    • Use the oposite to what he is protected to. As said earlier.
    • When he has stoneskin or mirror image use the spell magic missile, it takes them down fast and is a level 1 spell unlike Breach.
    • When his protections are down they wont be for long so charge in with EVERYONE.

Hope it helps ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  14. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Firstly, there is no time limit on the maevar quest and so you can leave Rayic to stew until you are ready to face him and want to continue this quest.

Officers name in sea bounty is dirth.

Did I guy called Khellor come up to you straight after Nalia was taken? He should have done :). I think you have to talk to him before Barg spawns. If you missed him go back to the area you were in when Nalia was taken and he should be there.
    Barg will be at the bottom of the long stairway next to sea bounty inn.

If you tell Rayic that you are sorry for disturbing him or something like that and agree to leave, he will stay neutral for a few seconds allowing you time to position party and cast a spell at him before he tells you he has had enough and attacks you.

Rayic will cast the following spells as soon as he is hostile,
    Spell trigger, consists of protection magic weapons, normal missiles, shield,
    Next spell is Symbol fear, which can be tricky,

A summary of others good suggestions plus some of my own. :)

Cast a remove fear to counter the symbol fear as others have suggested before going upstairs although looking at your pary I don't think you have it, or berserk option on your pc and minsc as others mentioned. Buffing up before going upstairs with bless and chant can help as well since you get a save against the fear spell.

Since you have jaheira you have a couple of options:

1. use jaheiras insect plague or summon insects spell to disrupt his spellcasting and then have your fighters hit him with normal weapons until he dies, the first few hits will remove his stoneskin.

2. Get Nalia back and then try to take on Rayic. Make sure nalia has two breaches ready as his continency stoneskin can come up after you have hurt him badly. Position party and cast breach and hit him with your fighters. Breach will strip away all combat protections and not just one, which is why it is such a great spell.

3. go and buy some potions of firebreath or potions of explosions and launch/use these at Rayic, his protections won't stop these. I think Gurch(?) in Maevars base (you are in this quest) sells a potion of explosion. Be careful with the explosion potions, throw them behind him so as not to damage your party.

4. There is a wand of heavens in one of the chests in the temple of talos (temple district) that is easy to get since you have Yoshimo. Jaheira can use this and this will work in the same way as those potions except it will just effect Rayic.

As others have mentioned, you need at least 1 mage, a backup mage like Aerie (circus tent quest in promenade) is a good idea as well.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 22, 2001).]

15. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If I remember correctly, he likes to cast Shadow Door, which makes targetting spells on him difficult, especially Insect Plague which, while fantastic, takes a long time to cast.
    Two possibilities are: Cast Truesight before you go up (assuming you've got it); or cast Magic Missile to get in some quick damage, and beat him up with your fighters to try to stop him casting. This won't work if he has a contingency, though, so Truesight is probably better.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Or? Skip him til you're stronger. I did a lot of other quests before getting Edwin, so all I did was put Keldorn Minsc and My dc Fc against him, while blessed, hasted and chanted and sent aerie,yoshi and jaheira to hide. The only prob in this was if he got someone into a chaos state and said character would off a party member.

17. Dwarfrawd Gems: 1/31

He's a tough old Wizza

This Gethras guy clicks his heels and he's instantly invincible!!! I keep breeching him with Aerie but my hits still don't bite. What's the dealio.,>,./?:confused:

18. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I used cloudkill on him. after having my cleric summon skeletons. He seems to target the skeletons right away, since they are closer. Then i just went downstairs and waited for abit, and headed back up again. Guns blazing.

19. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I always take on Rayic Gethras rather early in the game. I use the Nymph Cloak (which I either buy or steal) from Gorch in the Docks District. I charm him, make him cast his spider and invisible stalker. Then I instruct poor Rayic Gethras to Finger of Death or Magic Missile himself (sometimes if you pause right, you can get him to Magic Missile himself twice). This sets off his spell protections but then he's too busy trying to fight the spider and stalker that I wait for him to die or kill the summons. I mop up after that.

20. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You're despicable starfox... but I think I'll try your tactic sometime. :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.